Replacing Mission M7S Sub & satellites

caersiddi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had these speakers for a fair few years but recently the subwoofer bass has failed so I'm looking for a similar sub & satellite setup to connect to my Sony STR DE-585. Main use is for watching Sky HD & DVDs, I will probably get a Bluray player at some point and possibly replace the STR DE-585 too.

I've no idea where to start looking, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Ta

Mission M7S Sub & Speakers
54316d1178818032-stands-mission-m7s-speakers-mission-m7s-av.jpg

The most important bit of information would be what budget do you have?
Do the other speakers still work OK?
Why not just buy a new sub? Something by BK electronics would do the job (Gemini II).

Ah yes, based on what I paid for the speakers about 8 years ago I'd say about £200 to £250 maybe a little more. This setup is an a normal living room, not a dedicated home cinema location so nothing too fancy is needed tbh.

The satellite speakers are fed from the subwoofer, they aren't connected to directly to the amp, that's why I need a whole new set.

Thanks again

What are the impedance of the satelite speakers (should be in the manual)? As long as they are 6 ohms or more then you could run them directly from the amp. I take it all your speaker connections from the amp go into the sub and then it distributes them from there. If the impedance is OK then you could connect the speakers directly to the amp and then get a nice sub, like the Gemini II, for £200.
If you do want a new set of speakers then the Tannoy SFX would fit within budget or for a little more you could get the Boston accoustic soundwaves.

The speaker cables aren't standard and I did think at some point that there was a crossover inside the subwoofer to sort out the audio, but since there's no power to the sub anymore, that can't be right.

I've attached two images which shows the connections, the satellite speaker end, and the subwoofer end.

I'll have a look at the Tannoy SFX and the Boston accoustic speakers too.

Cheers

Attachments

• Mission M7S satellite cable 2.JPG
    Mission M7S satellite cable 2.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 383
  • Mission M7S subwoofer back.JPG
    Mission M7S subwoofer back.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 630
The plugs are proprietary but I bet if you cut the one off the end that goes into the sub you will find a normal twin speaker cable that could be stripped back and connected to an AV reciever. I have checked and it appears the satelite speakers are 8 ohms impedance so no issues with using them with an AV reciever. Since the system does not work then you lose nothing by cutting the end of the cable and checking. The reciever can then be set to act as the crossover so the speakers get the right frequecies. This way you can keep what you have and just get a new sub.

Thanks again. ;)

The system does work, it's just the subwoofer that doesn't, so I don't get the booming bass that I should be getting.

I think I'll go for the Tanny speakers, and keep looking out for a M7S subwoofer on ebay or somewhere, it'll do as a second set for my study.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom