Replacing Marantz with Arcam-advice

1crb1

Hi all, looking for advice.
I currently use a Marantz SR6013 (bought new by me) and has now for the third time it’s gone into protection mode and needs repairing. It’s still under warranty but I’ve lost faith and looking at my options.
I can replace with an equivalent newer version by Marantz/Denon but I was thinking maybe I could try a used, older model from a more boutique manufacture.
I am specifically looking at the Arcam AVR550.
How much of an upgrade do you think this will be?
I can’t seem to see anything I might lose over the Marantz unless anyone else is informed.
Am I right in saying this uses the newest Dirac live?

Thanks for your advice

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The Arcam AVR550 is should have higher quality sound than the Marantz SR6013 and will support 5.1.2, a handle a PS4, a Vero 4K and a UHD TV.

AFAIK, the latest version of Dirac Live released for the AVR550 is V3.0.14. No doubt somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

StefanBFC

If you listen to music in 2 channel stereo, the Arcam will be far superior.

The Arcam sound is very different to the Denon/Marantz, at first it takes a little getting used too. But I don't think you'd be disappointed.
You need time on your hands to get your head around Dirac, time in a silent house. If you have an unsual shaped room, Dirac will help.

1crb1

Thanks, I have a small room is all I can add. I was happy with what the Marantz and Audyssey achieved (with a lot of help with the Audyssey app!) just blowing three times has given me the hump!

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hi all, looking for advice.
I currently use a Marantz SR6013 (bought new by me) and has now for the third time it’s gone into protection mode and needs repairing. It’s still under warranty but I’ve lost faith and looking at my options.
I can replace with an equivalent newer version by Marantz/Denon but I was thinking maybe I could try a used, older model from a more boutique manufacture.
I am specifically looking at the Arcam AVR550.
How much of an upgrade do you think this will be?
I looked at replacing a Marantz SR7012 with a AVR550. I returned the 550 due to a number of operational niggles. For movie sound they were roughly the same, for stereo music the Arcam was a little bit better but not as good as the two old (15-20 years+) cheapish (<£300) stereo amps I tried for comparison at the same time.
I can’t seem to see anything I might lose over the Marantz unless anyone else is informed.
The main thing you would loose with the Arcam is Audyssey Dynamic Equalisation. AFAIK there is no equivalent on the AVR550. I find DEQ invaluable and always have it switched in for movie soundtracks. Also the facilities for doing on the fly changes to speaker levels and dialog enhancement are superior on Marantz.

1crb1

I looked at replacing a Marantz SR7012 with a AVR550. I returned the 550 due to a number of operational niggles. For movie sound they were roughly the same, for stereo music the Arcam was a little bit better but not as good as the two old (15-20 years+) cheapish (<£300) stereo amps I tried for comparison at the same time.

The main thing you would loose with the Arcam is Audyssey Dynamic Equalisation. AFAIK there is no equivalent on the AVR550. I find DEQ invaluable and always have it switched in for movie soundtracks. Also the facilities for doing on the fly changes to speaker levels and dialog enhancement are superior on Marantz.
Interesting, did you use the Arcam with the later direct live l?

Zarf2007

Dirac is far superior to audyssey, you will not miss it. If you can stretch to it the newer Arcam AVR10 sound better than the old models. Go for this:

just check you get the full 5 year warranty as they are Arcam dealers so you should. It can be upgraded to hdmi2.1 at a later date should you require it.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom