Answered Replacing Mac mini with NAS

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently I have a 2010 Mac mini I use it for iTunes and storing via an external hard drive all my media movies, photos etc and also Plexy server. The mini is great but it's seen better days, around the house I have Apple TV 2/3 and also a new nvidia shield TV. I've also setup on my smart TVs PLEX, this has made the Apple TV redudant apart from the one in my daughters room.
I plan on ripping all my blurays to get lossless sound however I'll need to keep the Apple TV for daughters room, but I can use the shield for my projector and the PLEX on my TVs.
So should I get another Mac mini by a big hard drive or can I replace it with a NAS for a similar price and get the same thing but obviously with a huge capacity to store all my rips.

One option would be to buy a hard drive and plug it into the Shield. These days the Shield can act as a Plex media server as well as client so need for a NAS.

would the apple tv be able to connect to the nvidia shield?

You need AppleTV 4 for the Plex or Kodi client. Earlier versions not as flexible.

Ah ok that's no good really I can't afford to replace everything

By the sound of it you would only need to replace one AppleTV. An Amazon Fire Stick, which has Plex and potential for Kodi, is considerably cheaper than a new Mac Mini.

One thing I would say is that if you re ripping your BDs is to have a backup. I know the discs are a backup but it is a pain re-ripping if your large hard drive dies. But it is a slippery slope... first a NAS... then HP Microserver and then like me Supermicro based servers.

By the sound of it you would only need to replace one AppleTV. An Amazon Fire Stick, which has Plex and potential for Kodi, is considerably cheaper than a new Mac Mini.
Didn't think of putting in another fire stick good idea cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom