Replacing Living Room TV

Dezso

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Samsung QE55Q6 and the picture stutters a little when watching Tennis and although it says it has HDR the picture is no where near that quality and is almost 4 years old.

I assume is now the best time to buy a TV, although there doesn't seem to be huge offers online, but I thought I would seek advice in terms of what I should consider replacing it with?

I watch Netflix, play the PlayStation occasionally, watch a lot of Tennis and general TV and Movies. My price range is up to around £1300.

Is it worth buying now, or waiting till Boxing day? Any advice?

The terminology to describe different motion issues is often confusing, so when you say stutter, you could mean something different to what I think you mean. Stutter is usually worse on slow camera pans, where the picture appears to jump from one frame to the next. Its particularly bad with film and TV show content that tends to be shot at a lower frame rate than sport.
Most modern TVs stutter, unfortunately. It's actually worse on higher end TVs, where response times have gotten faster and faster than it is on older TVs, where response time is slower.

To avoid stutter really, you'd want to look at buying a low tier TV running a 60hz panel with more motion blur. Unfortunately for other reasons it's really hard to recommend those TVs today, mostly because none of them can display HDR properly.

What you can do is buy a TV and use its motion interpolation feature to smooth out the stutter. This feature will be on your current TV too, probably called: Motion Plus.

But stutter can also mean other things too, famously Samsung TVs suffer from micro stutter which can only be described as slow downs and speed ups in the picture, this is often worse during sport, especially when the TV is guessing the frame rate between slow motion replays and real time. If it's this problem you have, you are probably better off avoiding buying another Samsung and going for a different brand instead. The Sony X90J would be a good starter HDR TV, but ideally, you'd want to aim for the X95J. Both these TVs should have better motion overall compared to your current, and will minimize the chances of you disliking their motion.

Thanks for coming back, sorry, I should have been clearer in my description.

When I am watching tennis the ball seems to blur as it moves from side to side, so it is not smooth, I assume as the ball is moving so fast. Maybe the tech in the TV cannot process the movement at the speed the ball moves. so I guess it is not so much a stutter but a blur of the tennis ball.

If you want to avoid blur, then your best bet is to look at OLED TVs that have next to none of it. Sony A80J is widely seen as a good TV if you want to prioritize motion.

I thought about OLED but I watch a lot of tennis and I am worried about burn in as the score of the match is normally in the bottom left hand corner during a match, so there is a good chance that I would suffer with that eventually. Is there any LCD that would be any good?

I thought about OLED but I watch a lot of tennis and I am worried about burn in as the score of the match is normally in the bottom left hand corner during a match, so there is a good chance that I would suffer with that eventually. Is there any LCD that would be any good?
Yes, the two Sony ones I mentioned in my first reply, X90J or X95J. The TCL C825 is also a good choice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom