replacing LG OLED65B7 what to fight for

Invention Icon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sadly my LG OLED65B7 has a faulty panel which made itself evident about a week ago. I purchased via John Lewis and they arranged a technician to look into the matter. John Lewis has declined to have the panel replaced which is likely a costly process.

So I am waiting for them to get back to me with their solution. At this point I am guessing they will offer a replacement of some compariable value and therefore am trying to be prepared.

Likely culprits (especially if it has to stay same brand) are:
LG 65SK9500PLA
LG OLED65C8PLA

They might allow me to go for:
Sony Bravia KD65ZF9
Sony Bravia KD65AF8
Samsung QE65Q9FN

My question is: What should I fight for?

If you liked the B7 then B8 or C8 would be a good replacement. C8 is marginally better.

Avoid the ZF9 as it’s black levels are poor, especially coming from an oled. Avoid all LG lcd sets as again poor black levels/contrast.

Q9FN is a great alternative. Different with how it does hdr - brightness over black levels, though these aren’t poor.

Hi all,

Sadly my LG OLED65B7 has a faulty panel which made itself evident about a week ago. I purchased via John Lewis and they arranged a technician to look into the matter. John Lewis has declined to have the panel replaced which is likely a costly process.

So I am waiting for them to get back to me with their solution. At this point I am guessing they will offer a replacement of some compariable value and therefore am trying to be prepared.

Likely culprits (especially if it has to stay same brand) are:
LG 65SK9500PLA
LG OLED65C8PLA

They might allow me to go for:
Sony Bravia KD65ZF9
Sony Bravia KD65AF8
Samsung QE65Q9FN

My question is: What should I fight for?

As with buying a tv new, it depends what you need it for

The Sk9500 is a nice set,but not real competition for your other options.
I suspect if you stay with LG, you’ll be pushed towards the 65B8, as that is just a tweaked B7.

How much did you spend on your B7?
How wedded to the LG OS are you?
Is Dolby Vision important to you?

Reviews suggest that the ZF9 has been somewhat of a disappointment, better value can be had from the Samsung. The ZF9 is a good tv, but the AVF review found poor blacks, blooming and haloing.

65AF8 would be a close runner to the B7. Roughly same processor age, the B7 will have better HDR performance, equally good upscaling, but the AF8 is better for sound and motion.

65 Q9FN is arguably the best non oled choice, however my belief is that having got used to the contrast and blacks of the B7, going back to LCD (a very good one nonetheless) would be a step back for you.

As you’ve identified, the C8 is probably the best option. It’s the best all round 65 on the market, with small and subtle upgrades from the B7 which you’ll welcome.
It depends how clued up the person on the case is, as to whether they can tell that technically speaking, the B8 is the closest to the B7.

I got mine December 2017 durring the sales for £2250.

I previously had a Samsung and found the OS to be supperior to WebOS.

Not invested in Dolby vision to my knowledge. I use a ps4 pro and a personal computer running mythtv.

I am unsure how close the B8 is to the B7 and one area that highlights the difference is the game lag I have 21ms now so getting 22ms is a step in the wrong direction.

If you do not need wide viewing angles and you like Tizen better than WebOS then the Q9FN is a good choice. It even has motion interpolation you can use in games.

LCDs are quite different from OLEDs though. Spending more on a high end LCD doesn't really net you better overall picture quality, its mainly that the TVs can get a lot brighter for HDR content.

I usually recommend therefore only going for a high end LCD like the Q9FN if you are going to use lots of HDR. If you are not, you can buy cheaper...or lower range and bigger sticking with LCDs or get more overall gains in picture quality from an OLED..

A little confused regarding your comparison of input lag, 1ms could be a difference between one panel and the next or just differences between measurements...and it certainly isn't going to be noticeable. Any TV now has low enough input lag, even the Sony models that tend to be higher than others.

Narrowing down what I am looking into has helped considerably, thanks.

For where I am going to be for the next few years (hopefully) ambient light has shown to be a big issue which based on reading more suggests I should aim for the Q9FN. I might even consider a lower cost ones such as the Q8DN or Q7FN after I look into the reflection filtering.

I've always used avforums reviews for my comparisons expecting the testing to be sufficent to take as fact with a pinch scepticism. I appreciate being encouraged to look into the lack of difference for input lag. I've always aimed for afordably low but I understand better now that I should not feel a difference.

I still find it difficult to consider last years £2500 tv to be upgraded to the current year but now only costs £1800. I may have gotten the lowest available model last year but that does not mean they did not just introduce a lower available model and then relable them all for marketing ease.

There is no difference in how TVs handle reflections in the Samsung range from the NU8000 and higher. You could get a NU8000 for a fraction of the cost of the Q9FN and it would be an excellent choice for SDR.

You can also get it at 75" and 82" sizes.

But if you want better than average HDR you need the Q7FN/Q8FN or for good HDR, the Q8DN/Q9FN.

TVs from each manufacturer have differntiating bang for buck in different ranges though, the Q9FN is very good value compared to the competition, equally it keeps up with the likes of the LG C8 or Panasonic FZ802 OLEDs.

On the other end of the scale though the Q8DN is usually terrible value, the Q7FN/Q8FN are not good value either compared to the Sony XF9005 and the Q6FN unless priced close to the NU8000 is not good value either.

I still find it difficult to consider last years £2500 tv to be upgraded to the current year but now only costs £1800. I may have gotten the lowest available model last year but that does not mean they did not just introduce a lower available model and then relable them all for marketing ease.
That is technology for you, especially new technology. OLEDs still come at a premium at larger sizes compared to LCD TVs but it seems to be narrowing down year by year.

Well turns out it is Image retention for a game I started playing in December.

I now know to avoid OLED like the plague. This is now £2500 of garbage.

I hold out slight hope that it will correct over time however I am now avoiding using it except for screen scrubbers and pixel refreshers. Almost all content is affected, just as you are lost in the story, this pattern appears distracting you from the performance.

I also hold out hope I can find a way to return this to John Lewis, I really don't relish sticking them with it but being in the UK I see no reason why LG would deign to bother with me.

I am now using a 21" monitor sitting in front of my screen.

Wow.... everything I have read so far in my new TV quest says that Burn In (i.e. permanent damage) takes way longer than 3 months.... Image Retention, perhaps after several hours, but a simple refresh, or some normal usage cleans it up. For you to have a fubar panel after just 2 to 3 months seems exceptional...

Wow.... everything I have read so far in my new TV quest says that Burn In (i.e. permanent damage) takes way longer than 3 months.... Image Retention, perhaps after several hours, but a simple refresh, or some normal usage cleans it up. For you to have a fubar panel after just 2 to 3 months seems exceptional...

15 months according to my maths... ;)

Maybe... OP said since Dec, ie 3 months ago. Appreciate the tv was bought 15 months ago, but it was not suggested that the game that caused the IR was used for the duration.

Maybe you've seen my other posts, I am at the point of buying an LG B8, but leaning towards a Sony xf90 because of fears of early screen failure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom