Question replacing laptop keyboard - ebay?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by greenline, Dec 21, 2017.

1. greenline

greenline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    i need to replace a keyboard on an old Toshiba c660 laptop.

i was just wondering are the cheap replacements on ebay ok or am i best buying a second hand part?

thanks

2. Dean66Essex

Dean66Essex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have bought loads of replacment keyboards from eBay and never had any problems. I buy them when i referb laptops for people. They average around £9.99. They are quite easy to fit too, just use Youtube for help :)

3. greenline

greenline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    so the really cheap ones (£5.99) from china are ok?

4. Dean66Essex

Dean66Essex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Possibly.... Make sure you're not paying something like £20.00 postage as thats what some try to do. If its free postage what have you got to lose for £5.99 :)

5. Gregsta

Gregsta
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's OK for someone to tell you just to use youtube a video. To clip the ketboard back in is very fiddle, I would take it to a computer repair guy if you don't know what you are doing and save yourself breaking your whole computer. If you break the clip that the keyboard connects to you will have to replace your whole laptop. To get the keyboard out can be very fiddle if you don't know what your doing leave it alone.I can take a screen out of a laptop and fit it in about 10 mins but I would not recommend doing it for yourself.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  6. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +910
    Any type of work in a tablet or laptop is fiddly, but with the youtube videos, suitable screwdrivers and patience its all doable. Keyboard replacement is probably the easiest of these tasks, but you do need two and occassionally three hands. It might be as good an idea to buy a ebay " for parts " offer of a none working machine.one with a broken screen perhaps. Then you can practice as you remove the keyboard from the defective machine

7. Gregsta

Gregsta
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If it was me I would take it into a computer shop and get it repaired it not going to cost I would think anymore than £35 + part depending on the guys hourly rate. Let them do it. If he breaks the connector in their he is going to be a laptop down and for sake of 50 I don't think it's worth the risk. I just wanted to warn him that things can go wrong and it's not risk free.

8. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +910
    Fair enough, but this is.a 10 year old product range and fully working commands about 100quid, so its not a huge risk. Any other item in it could fail at any time.... But it gets to a stage where its uneconomic to repair,and the repair cost is part of it. When repair of one fault becomes 50% of the product value, then one is close to that threshold.
    Say he makes a mess of the keyboard housing.. can happen, then he can then flog it on ebay as working display and motherboard

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  9. greenline

greenline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    thanks for the replies.

i ended up buying a second hand part to give that a go first.

i did disconnect the keyboard already because it was playing up, so it doesn't seem hard to replace.

10. Gregsta

Gregsta
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    their is a quick fix you could just plug a USB keyboard and mouse into it.

11. greenline

greenline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    seems all the sellers, selling new replacement keyboards have terrible reviews on ebay, so i opted for a used one from a seller with good feedback.

the keyboard is working ok (im using it now :) ). getting the ribbon cable in place, was a real pain.

-makes me think, maybe i should of tried to repair my other laptops over the years instead of binning them lol (broken keyboards/screens)

thanks all.