1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing Jumpers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GW43, Aug 15, 2005.

1. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    (This is not about getting new woolies for the winter!)

I thought I would follow up on some of the advice in other threads and replace the jumpers between my speaker's HF and LF terminals with speaker wire. I use Van Damme blue, 2.5mm2, and the jumper plates on my MA Silver S1 are pretty thin (I don't have a micrometer) and about 10mm wide. If they are equeal or greater than 0.25mm thick, they would give the same cross-sectional area as the cable.

I decided not to make a set of short leads, instead decided to strip the cable of it's outer sheath to give two tails of around 10cm. The last 1cm was stripped of the inner sheath, and about 4cm below this I removed a further 2cm strip of the inner sheath, to leave a section of the sheath still on the cable that would run between the two binding posts. Still with me?

I then wrapped the lower exposed section of the cable once around the LF binding post, and then inserted the end of the cable through the hole in the upper binding post, and tightened down the retaining nuts. As an afterthought, I then slipped the original jumers back in to place. This was not for sonic reasons - I would proabably lose them, and at least I know where they are!

So, for twenty minutes work, and no cost, I had a modification.

Now for the listening test. I had to do this after SWMBO and the kids were in bed, so the volume wasn't too high.

This is where I became very perplexed.

Everything sounded more extended at both frequency extremes, more detailed and dynamic. I only had chance to listen to a few tracks, but from Prince's Hits 2(?) album, Kiss, Cream and Peach came across marvellously. They are pretty well recorded anyway IMHO, but they sounded very good indeed! Tom McRae's All Maps Welcome sounded a lot more "intimate".

There are several reasons why this might be:

1. I was listening more intently, to try and justify my 20 minutes of effort and no financial outlay.
    2. Any breaking/re-making of a connection "cleans" the contacts and will therefore provide better transmission of the signal.
    3. It actually works, by increasing the cross-sectional area between the speaker terminals.
    4. I'm imagining it.

(SWMBO would vote for number 4, so I haven't mentioned it at Chez GW43!)

Anyone got any similar experiences, thoughts...

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    A lot of people use an arrangement like this (myself included). The actual benefits are still questionable as the mind can play some nasty tricks on us but on paper the brass jumpers provided don't usually compare too well against a length of copper speaker wire. :)