Replacing Home Hub 3 with new BT Smart Hub

Veni Vidi Vici

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello

I've had BT Infinity 1 for a few years and not had any problems. I still have the original Home Hub 3 (HH3). I'm interested in the new BT Smart Hub which BT want £50 for. Has anyone replaced old hubs and had any problems, and is the new Smart Hub worth paying for? I can't say I have any major problems but do struggle to get a signal upstairs and it has started needing a reboot every now and then in recent months, I assume as we have more devices than before. I'm tied into a contract so it doesn't appear I can get a new free hub. Any thoughts?

I had Infinity 1 (FTTP) installed in July. BT provided a HH5. Then the HH6 was released soon after. I paid £50 to get it on the promise of better / faster / extended wifi connectivity. Better / faster has to be a good thing right? Well it's not quite right. So far anyway in my experience.

When it works it works well. Coverage is good, better upstairs and it does deliver faster wifi performance than the HH5. But, very frustratingly, it seems to drop wifi connections on a random but pretty regular basis. Over the last 30 minutes for example, the wifi connection to my iPad has dropped 4 times. Make that 5. And on 3 of those occasions I've had to re-enter the wifi password to reconnect.

My honest advice would be to wait a bit until they get it right. Reading other forums I don't believe I'm the only one with this wifi dropping issue. I'm currently persevering as I can't face the agony and don't have the time to deal with BT customer service. Eventually I will have to contact them though unless it magically improves via a firmware update.

Hmm, can't you swap it back to the HH5? I'd be tempted to ask for a refund especially as it's so new

I could indeed but it's only two weeks in so I'm giving it another fortnight before I do anything. I still have the HH5 so that's an option. I've had routers before that start off poorly but then stabilise hence me trying to be patient for a wee while.

My BT Smart hub has behaved flawlessly for the last couple of months.
Haven't noticed any difference TBH between it and the HH5 it replaced.
There are 12 devices connected to it.

I think I'll buy the new one and see how it goes, everyone seems to have had the HH5, I have the HH3 so hoping it will make a difference.

I've split the wifi bands and so far so good. The iPad and iPhone that were previously dropping the connection now seem to be fine on the 5GHz band. Will persevere for a bit longer....

I got my new Smart Hub a few days ago and so far so good. As I had the old HH3 that came with a separate modem so I don't need that anymore, which saves space and makes it all a bit tidier.

My only issue is my speeds were definitely quicker as soon as I set up HH6, and the range is much better. However the cable you use to connect it, RJ45 I think it is, I had to replace with a longer one. Since changing from the 1m to a 5m RJ45 the speeds have dropped about 10mb. Upload speeds haven't really changed but download speed have dropped.

I wouldn't expect a slightly longer lead to cause a drop in speed but I can't think what else it could be as it was quicker with the shorter lead. Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Got my HH6 today to replace my HH5. Initial thoughts are it's absolutely no better than the 5. Wireless speeds are about the same. Max's out at 800Mbps. They've also made the UI for the routers config awful. Looks like something designed for a child. Overall if you have a homehub 5 I would not be paying £50 to upgrade as it does nothing new.

Had my Hub 6 for quite a few weeks with no issues and better coverage than my previous HH5

BUT... since iOS10 came a couple of my divices (iPad and iPhone) won't connect yet others in the house are fine. Even restored one device as a new phone but same issue. Switched on the old HH5 and all working fine.

Can anyone with a HH6 post back here when BT do a firmware update. Hopefully they should fix it soon?

Had my Hub 6 for quite a few weeks with no issues and better coverage than my previous HH5

BUT... since iOS10 came a couple of my divices (iPad and iPhone) won't connect yet others in the house are fine. Even restored one device as a new phone but same issue. Switched on the old HH5 and all working fine.

Can anyone with a HH6 post back here when BT do a firmware update. Hopefully they should fix it soon?
We've got the Smart Hub (HH6) and an iPad Mini 2, which was updated to iOS10 yesterday and it's connecting fine here mate (have it connected on the 5Ghz band).

There a lot of discussion over in the Apple and BT community boards and seems like a fair few people have this issue. The one thing I didn't try was splitting the bands so I may give that a go at some point. At least the HH5 is working.

There a lot of discussion over in the Apple and BT community boards and seems like a fair few people have this issue. The one thing I didn't try was splitting the bands so I may give that a go at some point. At least the HH5 is working.
Ours is split so deffo worth a try!

Will try that when the kids go to bed. Funny I've always separated the bands until I got the Smart Hub but then BT recommended NOT splitting them! Will report back later.

Will try that when the kids go to bed. Funny I've always separated the bands until I got the Smart Hub but then BT recommended NOT splitting them! Will report back later.
That's funny as I only split them as I'd read that it WAS recommended! Tbh, I've not noticed anything difference but hope it sorts your issue out (fingers crossed).

iv'e had the HH6 for a few weeks now which replaced the HH5, the biggest difference for me is the amount of wireless devices it can handle
the HH5 DHCP would get saturated quite quickly and stop devices connecting which meant configuring additional device with static IP's which works but the HH5 would not report the device was connected although it was
this became a problem when using access control the device wouldn't show up
the HH6 handles this problem fine
so far there are 45 devices connected to the HH6 with no problems
wireless coverage is definitely better but although i can split the bands unlike the HH5 i cannot have separate passwords for each band which came in handy

the HH6 for me is definitely an improvement of the HH5 and it was free as long as your willing to renew your contract which isn't a problem iv'e been with BT for a long time

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom