Replacing Hitahi Plasma with LED - opinions please

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by M4tt, Mar 10, 2013.

1. M4tt

M4tt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am considering replacing my 7 and a bit year old 42 inch Hitachi Plasma. it still works fine and the picture is, for the most part quite acceptable. However at Christmas I picked up a Samsung 40 inch LED 6030 from Tesco in their deal giving away a free Xbox 360 Kinect with it for the kids playroom. I was easily able to instantly notice the difference in picture quality between the two TVs, so much so I thought I would bring their TV into the lounge for a couple of days to see what I thought. After a couple of days I am in two minds about this one, I have found myself far more impressed with the 3D function than I ever thought possible, I have even watched a couple of films with the 2D-3D conversion on and been quite impressed. The sharpness and clarity of the picture has also blown me away compared to my old Plasma and other functions such as DLNA (maybe Smart TV on a replacement) and freeview HD built in may well be useful at times too, not to mention the fact my TV runs at around 180W while the LED is about a quarter of that and far less in the evenings with the auto dimming.
    My big problem is with moving scenes, it is glaringly obvious that the new LED TV is unable to handle fast moving scenes, it has some functions to make motion "better" however all this seems to do is create a strangely odd effect where everything looks like it is running in fast forward to catch up, I think it is holding frames on the screen longer and missing some out or something. Sufficed to say that function is rubbish IMO.

I was thinking of going for the 7 series, from what I can see its anti-motion blur function runs at 800Hz and not 200Hz and I wouldn't mind the built in camera, I was also thinking that 46 inch would be better for the lounge and if I got the smart functions that would be a bonus as I could probably get rid of my Media Centre PC which doesn't get used for a lot more than Skype anymore.

My questions are as follows;

1. What is the difference between the 6 series and 7 series LED panels/TVs?
    2. Will the 800Hz motion blur function resolve the issues with;
      • Fast motion scenes blurring?
      • The whole odd catching up image effect?
    3. Would the remote for the 6 series also work the 7 series (they are in adjacent rooms with glass doors so I would be concerned about IR interference)?
    4. Would the 3D glasses for one work with the other, and would the close proximity there also cause a problem?

At the end of the day although the picture is great does LED (LCD) technology still have too many compromises and should I stick to Plasma for my TV (even though the power saving is attractive with current electricity prices set to continue to soar), obviously a new Plasma will also have a far superior image to my 7 year old one which well before they had managed to get a 1080p Plasma down to 42 inch, and while one of the better panels at the time with the highest available resolution at the time 1024x1024 is far less than modern models and the technologies have moved on.

I am not really trying to get into the age old battle of which is best but for about £1k and considering what I have noticed above I would be very interested in peoples thoughts.

Many thanks,
    Matt

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Blur is a potential issue with most if not all LED as is clouding

If motion is a priority, I'd stick with plasma. They do use more electricity but you'll pay less for the TV in the first place. The usage with a plasma also fluctuates depending on what you are watching

The more processing on an LED, the more gaming lag and risk of soap opera effect / over smoothing

£1000 will buy you a top end 50" plasma at the mo (50GT50)

3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Wait for the Samsung F8500 sounding like it'll have the best of both.:)

Viewing angles, motion issues and uniformity are inherent issues with LCD. Sure some are very good, but to varying degrees have the same issue.
    If motion matters Samsung plasma would be your best bet.