Replacing Hi Fi for an all in one

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by chriswt, Apr 24, 2007.

1. chriswt

chriswt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a newbie I'm not sure that I'm in the right place to ask this kind of question but I'll go ahead anyway.

I'm about to move to a period cottage and space is at a serious premium so my good old Rotel/Rega seperates system has to be packed away into the loft to make way for a much smaller system.

I've been looking at second hand Bose lifestyle and B&O systems although I'm well aware that the cost is not equal to the quality of sound you get in return. Are there any really good (tiny) CD systems out there?

However, I also need to replace my home cinema/DVD play. Are there any home cinema systems good enough for playing music as well as watching films so that I can do away with a seperate DVD player and CD player.

I don't really want to spend more than £500-600 pounds and I would consider a second hand system.

Any advice is more than welcome.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    How compact has it got to be? Remember the dvd drives in most all in ones aren't great for audio cd playback. They don't maintain rotation speed as well as dedicated high end cd players so you lose a lot of sound detail. This doesn't matter with dvds as they just take chunks of data of the dvd and uncompress it on the fly and store it in a buffer but audio cd is older technology and benefits from a precise and accurate mechanism as the data is converted to audio signals in realtime with no buffer or extra processing.

It really depends whats more important to you home cinema or your hifi. However maybe there is something in the denon range that is a good compromise between the two.

3. chriswt

chriswt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I didn't know about the difference between CD and DVD players.

I think I'm having a change of heart and may be I should have a seperate CD and DVD player.

All I want is high quality sound from both CD and DVD's but I'm unsure of my options.

4. maceinzehouz

maceinzehouz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have the philips hts9800w which sounds great with both music and dvds, and has a wow factor in terms of style, have u ever seen speakers enclosed in glass before, i hadnt before i got this system! Brilliant