Replacing Height speakers with SVS Prime Elevation

Adziadam

Established Member
Reaction score
A little while back I did mount some Kef T101 on the ceiling, overall ok for performance but the soul-crushing experience was the crossover been set at 150hz and I can only listen off axis due to the tweeter being further to the end of the speaker. I didn't waste my money completely as I am going wall mount the TV in our bedroom and use these 2 speakers instead of tv speakers and move my musical fidelity m2si upstairs so I don't have to buy a new amp.

My ceilings are just over 8 foot heigh and I purchased some SVS prime elevation 1 set so far and I will keep the t101 rear heights until I can afford to buy another set. I will mount the prime elevations on the ceiling and I am going to toe them into the prime listening positing as these will be firing downward I was thinking should I move this further away from the main sofa or keep them around the same as the t101s. The t101 is around 20-30 cm away from the edge of the sofa. Will this be too close or would it be better to move them further away from the sofa to make sure the main dispersion will be at the listener.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Attachments

• 20210323_082632.jpg
    20210323_082632.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 642
If the t101's pictured are the front heights. They ideally need to be in line with your front l&r speakers. From the picture they look like they need to come further in from the sidewall to achieve this. Assuming your MLP is the sofa opposite the fireplace this should be fine.

It would be handy to see where the rear t101's are mounted in relation to the the front t101's, as you need to make sure there's sufficient separation between the front & rear heights.

If the t101's pictured are the front heights. They ideally need to be in line with your front l&r speakers. From the picture they look like they need to come further in from the sidewall to achieve this. Assuming your MLP is the sofa opposite the fireplace this should be fine.

It would be handy to see where the rear t101's are mounted in relation to the the front t101's, as you need to make sure there's sufficient separation between the front & rear heights.
Rear heights are around 5ft away from the listening positioning which I measure from my seat to the back wall in a straight line. I do understand about keeping it in line with the fronts however I plan to toe the speakers at an angle on the ceiling so they will fire directly instead of straight-line which should help with the listening position as currently, my setup is off-axis for atmos so I loose a lot of the good sound. With my current living room plan, I only have about 1.5 seats on-axis :( so I'm trying to do the best i can.

Attachments

• 20210323_184528.jpg
    20210323_184528.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 330
Rear heights are around 5ft away from the listening positioning which I measure from my seat to the back wall in a straight line.
How long is the room. I would say as long as the speakers are in roughly the position that dolby recommend, you should be fine.

I do understand about keeping it in line with the fronts however I plan to toe the speakers at an angle on the ceiling so they will fire directly instead of straight-line which should help with the listening position as currently, my setup is off-axis for atmos so I loose a lot of the good sound. With my current living room plan, I only have about 1.5 seats on-axis :( so I'm trying to do the best i can.
No worries mate. Unless we have dedicated cinema rooms, we all have to compromise when it comes to optimum seating & speaker placement.

If you plan on "toe-ing" them in, so they are firing towards the MLP, then calibration should compensate. Indeed in my own 5.2.4 setup I'm using Dali Alteco C1's for heights (similar in style to your SVS Elevations). I've mounted mine high up on the wall, rather than the ceiling. I'm using full 360 degree brackets to aim them down to my MLP.

I only thought about the toe-in situation when I was watching a spare change YouTube video with a clip from the trinnov guy. He was talking about height placements and that to have a height speaker not aiming at the listening position means your only get the off axis sound. This makes sense as ceiling speakers can have directional tweeters that can move.

My room dimensions are 16ft long 11.5 ft wide. It seems you have managed to find a good way to mount yours :) I have a window on the left so it's game over and the chimney breast wall is no good for speaker separation so ceiling is literally my only choice and I don't want to cut holes out of the ceiling as I'm scared lol.

Everything is a compromise agreed. I will have to wait 16 years for me kids to move out then I can turn their bedroom Into my cinema lol

My room dimensions are 16ft long 11.5 ft wide. It seems you have managed to find a good way to mount yours :) I have a window on the left so it's game over and the chimney breast wall is no good for speaker separation so ceiling is literally my only choice and I don't want to cut holes out of the ceiling as I'm scared lol.

My room is 15ft long by 10ft wide, so not too different to yours. My TV Is on the shorter wall - dead centre, with my sofa on the opposite wall, pulled forward by a foot. Hence the need for brackets to angle the Dali's!

These are the brackets I'm using:

Amazon product ASIN B074W7XNZP
They are good. In theory it would be possible for you to fix these bracket to your ceiling, pointing straight down then adjust the 360 degree ball so that the speaker is angled towards your MLP

I also notice you're using some MA FX's as surrounds. I have the Silver FX's. Mine have to be mounted on the rear wall not side (another comprise)!

Everything is a compromise agreed. I will have to wait 16 years for me kids to move out then I can turn their bedroom Into my cinema lol

Ain't that the truth! 😂

My room is 15ft long by 10ft wide, so not too different to yours. My TV Is on the shorter wall - dead centre, with my sofa on the opposite wall, pulled forward by a foot. Hence the need for brackets to angle the Dali's!

These are the brackets I'm using:

Amazon product ASIN B074W7XNZP
They are good. In theory it would be possible for you to fix these bracket to your ceiling, pointing straight down then adjust the 360 degree ball so that the speaker is angled towards your MLP

I also notice you're using some MA FX's as surrounds. I have the Silver FX's. Mine have to be mounted on the rear wall not side (another comprise)!

Ain't that the truth! 😂
Thanks for the link to the mounts. I should be ok with the mounting as svs include a ceiling mount with these and as the cabinet of the speaker is deep it does have a steep angle so should be OK aiming downward just mounting is a pain in the ass lol, prepare for dust in me eyes.

I did originally have the entire bronze 6g series fronts centre and 2 atmos modules I just didn't get on to well with them so swapped them out for kefs. I'm getting to the point where I just need to stop now and settle down with the system I have

just mounting is a pain in the ass lol, prepare for dust in me eyes.
Invest in some of these:

No point in having a great Home Theatre system if you can't see! 😂😂

I did originally have the entire bronze 6g series fronts centre and 2 atmos modules I just didn't get on to well with them so swapped them out for kefs. I'm getting to the point where I just need to stop now and settle down with the system I have

I originally had a full set of MA Bronze 5G Bronze 5's for fronts. They were great. But not as good as my MA Silver 100's with the beast that is a C350 Centre, plus FX's. Recently sold my BK P12-300SB-PR for 2x SVS SB2000 PRO's Check out my signature! The spending never stops. Now looking at music streamers! 🤣😉🤭🤫

Invest in some of these:

No point in having a great Home Theatre system if you can't see! 😂😂

I originally had a full set of MA Bronze 5G Bronze 5's for fronts. They were great. But not as good as my MA Silver 100's with the beast that is a C350 Centre, plus FX's. Recently sold my BK P12-300SB-PR for 2x SVS SB2000 PRO's Check out my signature! The spending never stops. Now looking at music streamers! 🤣😉🤭🤫
It would be good to hear the Silver fx as the response seems lower than the bronze series mine are crossed at 110hz so the lower end response is not as much.

I do need another sub but don't really have any room for it at this time the arendal 1961 1s is so big lol I don't think I can have another in the back lol. I know multisub is a big improvement.

For the music streamer you can't really get anything better for the money than a rasberrypi running picore player and a topping dac. I have this setup with a topping e30 cost overall less than £200 the topping dacs measure so well against the big brands check out audioscience review.
I can stream music from a nas and Spotify and control it from my phone. It just takes a little while to setup. Video setup if your interested

I do need another sub but don't really have any room for it at this time the arendal 1961 1s is so big lol I don't think I can have another in the back lol. I know multisub is a big improvement.
If I'd have had the space I'd have just got another of the BK's I sold! The SVS SB2000 Pro's are smaller and more room friendly. But I could have got 4 of the BK subs I sold for what I paid for the SVS's - and that was discounted!

Thanks for Streamer advice. Will definitely look into it. At present I'm looking at a Bluesound Node 2i

The 1961 1s is the smallest sub Arendal make, it's not big. I have one.

If I'd have had the space I'd have just got another of the BK's I sold! The SVS SB2000 Pro's are smaller and more room friendly. But I could have got 4 of the BK subs I sold for what I paid for the SVS's - and that was discounted!

Thanks for Streamer advice. Will definitely look into it. At present I'm looking at a Bluesound Node 2i
The 1961 1s is the smallest sub Arendal make, it's not big. I have one.
I mean for me to place a second in my room it is big :) the only awkwardness with it is the side-firing driver requiring only certain positions but it is a very good sub especially when you go from a £300 8 inch sub to the 1961.

I mean for me to place a second in my room it is big :) the only awkwardness with it is the side-firing driver requiring only certain positions but it is a very good sub especially when you go from a £300 8 inch sub to the 1961.

I'm having a bit of a head scratch over where I would locate a second 1s, ideally I would like the second sub on the other side of my room, but in that location the woofer would fire directly into a wall.

I'm having a bit of a head scratch over where I would locate a second 1s, ideally I would like the second sub on the other side of my room, but in that location the woofer would fire directly into a wall.
I'm not familiar with the 1s - so please forgive my probable nievity, but can you not just turn it so the driver fires out into the room?

I'm not familiar with the 1s - so please forgive my probable nievity, but can you not just turn it so the driver fires out into the room?
In the picture I have of my room the sub is firing out sideways as the driver is on the side of the sub. However, depending on where you relocate the sub the amp plate could be sticking out in the open instead of facing the wall. Just think on your SB sub if you place it on the left-hand corner of your room and place the sub driver shooting at the wall the amp plate will be out in the open in the room . You can place the sub in its normal orientation of facing forward but the driver should be 30cm away from a side wall.

Yeh is the slight problem arendal recommends 30cm gap between the sub and the wall, you could turn it sideways and have it shoot out as i have done in my Cabinet. Just depends on your room and if it blocks anything being sideways. One thing that helps with space is having an L bend kettle plug and an L bend RCA adapter that way the sub can be pushed as far back into the wall as possible.

In the picture I have of my room the sub is firing out sideways as the driver is on the side of the sub. However, depending on where you relocate the sub the amp plate could be sticking out in the open instead of facing the wall. Just think on your SB sub if you place it on the left-hand corner of your room and place the sub driver shooting at the wall the amp plate will be out in the open in the room . You can place the sub in its normal orientation of facing forward but the driver should be 30cm away from a side wall.
Ah now I get it. So it depends if @KiwiRob is happy to have the amp plate facing into the room! My SVS's have traditional front firing drivers with the amp plate opposite.

On a side note, some members deliberately position their subs so the driver fires into a wall. As it can reinforce the bass.

Ah now I get it. So it depends if @KiwiRob is happy to have the amp plate facing into the room! My SVS's have traditional front firing drivers with the amp plate opposite.

On a side note, some members deliberately position their subs so the driver fires into a wall. As it can reinforce the bass.
It can however by placing the sub to close it will just distort the Bass as the woofer is meant to move air. Placing a sub in the corner can get you up to 6db boost, which is why corner loading is ideal depending on the room ofc :)

It can however by placing the sub to close it will just distort the Bass as the woofer is meant to move air. Placing a sub in the corner can get you up to 6db boost, which is why corner loading is ideal depending on the room ofc :)

Here's a photo of my current set temporary (fingers crossed for a new house later this year) room.

The 1S is in the corner, ideally I'd place the other one in the opposite corner, if I wall mount the monitors, then no problem but I don't really want to spend any money of anything until we have decided what we are going to do with our house.

Norwegian Wood 1.jpg

Here's a photo of my current set temporary (fingers crossed for a new house later this year) room.

The 1S is in the corner, ideally I'd place the other one in the opposite corner, if I wall mount the monitors, then no problem but I don't really want to spend any money of anything until we have decided what we are going to do with our house.

View attachment 1481585
I see your dilemma! Personally, I'd like you say, hold off until you work out the house stuff etc.

View attachment 1481585
Yes wait for house stuff first and when you are ready take the plunge. You have a good system :) upgrade when you can and afford too but an extra sub is not going to make decision on the house yet :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom