Replacing HDD with SSD

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by S A, Jul 27, 2012.

1. S A

S A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi,

Looking to speed up my 2011 13" MBP so thinking of getting a 256GB SSD.

Just wanted to find out what the easiest way of transferring everything from my current HDD to the new one would be?
    Would like to avoid a fresh-install if I can.

Also, looking to get the Samsung 830 SSD Desktop kit for £150 from amazon. From what I hear, the difference between the Notebook kit and Desktop kit is the bracket that comes with it - but MBPs dont need any bracket so I have no advantage for going for the Notebook one. (The notebook one is £210).

I also hear Samsung ones are the best SSD out there? Anybody got any views on that :) How do they compare to Crucial, OCZ, Intel etc.

2. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    I can only answer the first part of your post, do a time machine back up and restore to the new disk , the migration assistant will ask you

make sure you have the disks or bootable usb

i have the OCZ Agility 3 in mine and its rapid

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  3. Xeneye

Xeneye
    Previously MacGeekPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I too have brought the Samsung 830, I decided to go for it over all the other current SSD's as many of the current reviews favour it's reliability alongside the Intel SSD's but at a lower cost, also all components are made by Samsung, rather than different manufacturers, it's very compatible with Mac's and it doesn't have the Sandforce controller, which seems to be a problem on some drives, especially with Mac's. Apple also use Samsung drives in their own SSD supplied machines.
    The speeds are great, probably not as fast as some others but I get 400meg write & 470meg read on my 2011 Mini, so I'm more than happy with that.
    Your other question about transferring everything also works well with the Samsung drives, as they provides a little USB to SATA cable, so if you download CCC (Carbon copy cloner) when your new SSD comes, plug it into the USB cable, run CCC and do a complete clone to the SSD, once completed swap the drives over and away you go! :)
    The only problem you will have is if your current drive has more than 256gb data, then you will have to go down the Time Machine or similar route.

4. S A

S A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Ah cheers for that.

This might be a stupid question but what if my drive is more than 256gb (it's 320gb) but I have used less than 256gb. Would I still have to use Time Machine?

Anyway to double check If I get the USB to SATA is included in the box?

5. Xeneye

Xeneye
    Previously MacGeekPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    No it will be fine if the drives bigger, it only copies the actual amount of data you have on the drive, as long as that is under 256gb then your fine.
    I think all Retail Samsung SSD's come with the cable. I brought the desktop version as I didn't need the bracket kit, and also got mine from Amazon and it was all in there.
    Have a quick look here and it shows the SATA cable under the installation header, so I think as long as you don't buy an OEM you should be fine.
    BTW ignore the Norton Ghost software, I'm not sure if it's PC only, but I wouldn't put any Norton stuff on my Mac!

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Don't use Time Machine as the backup of the old disk to the new disk is much more quickly & easily achieved using the free version of SuperDuper to clone the old disk to the new disk.

7. S A

S A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Cheers guys.

I think you've answered all my questions. Now to purchase it. :)

8. zad

zad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    I just got a 128g samsung one out of the classifieds and my macbook pro doesn't see it :( I have however got a 60g ocz that it does see weird!!!

Any one any ideas?

9. dave_parki_uk

dave_parki_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +755
    samsung 830 256gb for £150 on amazon at the moment.

If you require more disk and are not concerned about the super fast speeds you could look at hybrid drives. These are basically a standard disk with a 4GB or 8GB flash drive built in, the idea is any applications you use regular is done from the flash yet you still have 500gb storage for everything else.

Quite novel and from reading reviews work well but obviously not as fast as SSD but quicker than standard HDD.

10. S A

S A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    that's the one iv bought from Amazon.

Not heard of Hybrid drives, but I think an SSD will suffice for now :)

11. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Hybrid drives were slated from the offset for not hitting the mark of SSD's. Not sure if they have significantly changed since then either, but not tried one personally so just passing on what I read. With SSD's so cheap for larger sizes nowadays, what's the point of a hybrid?

12. dave_parki_uk

dave_parki_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +755
    £60 for a 500gb hybrid v £150 for 256gb ssd

Comes down to what's more important I suppose

13. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Not checked prices, but there will be a difference for sure. Depends if you only want to boost some bits of your OS or actually increase read/write speeds I guess. A hybrid will only achieve the former, whereas a true SSD will really boost your machine by boosting read/write speeds to the max.

A smaller SSD and a separate traditional drive is the perfect solution. :)

14. dave_parki_uk

dave_parki_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +755
    Unless you have a laptop or want to start messing with the internals :p

15. Xeneye

Xeneye
    Previously MacGeekPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    +1

16. dalethecaptain

dalethecaptain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I have a Mid 2010 mac mini that I am considering fitting with an OCZ Vertex 4 (2.5 inch drive though) I have sitting around. As far as I can understand, the SSD drives are more reliable than any hybrid solution.

The newer models are supposedly backwards compliant, however in my case the Mac Mini motherboard only supports 3gb/s, with the Vertex 4 having 6gb/s read write capability. Its a waste to buy more than can be used, however I also read somewhere (I think Mac Rumors) that having a bit more overhead makes the drive more consistent. I aim to test this theory.

As for cloning, I have used Super Duper in the past and it works great, and I think its only £20 for the full version, well worth it.

17. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Optibay! :)

18. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    My experience with replacing the 7200rpm 200GB HDD in my 2008 MBP with a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB was that there was no increase in performance at all. Some others on this forum upgraded from a 5400rpm disk & did see an improvement but as the Momentus XT is a 7200rpm I think that all the improvement was due to the improved HDD performance & nothing to do with the hybrid disk. SSDs are cheap enough now that it should be a no-brainer to upgrade any laptop. It's not only faster but more rugged & reliable to use an SSD.

19. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    I'm with nigelbb entirely, with Mac OSX the performance benefit of the XT comes from the faster mechanical speed. Windows tends to see more of a benefit with the XT as it works and pre-caches in a different way, but with Mac either stick with stock or get an SSD.

20. Spudhead

Spudhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Not sure about lower capacity SSD's but the higher capacity ones, intel are cheaper than the sammys now.

I bought and installed a 480GB intel 520 SSD the other day in my 2011 17" inch MacBook Pro, specs in signature. The thing flyyyyyy's!

Getting around 295 mbs write and 505 mbs read. The drive cost me £400 from ebuyer. Around £50 cheaper than the high capacity sammy. Oh and I get 5 year warranty too ;)

21. danrich1

danrich1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    What's the warranty effect on changing MBP drive to a SSD? (esp with extended Applecare) thx

22. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Apple won't fix the SSD if it fails but other than that there is no effect on warranty. The HDD is a user replaceable part on MBP just like adding memory & Apple even document how to do it.

23. S A

S A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Just got it delivered.

Slight problem I think, The contents included are:
    SSD Drive
    CD
    User Manual

So there is no USB to SATA cable. What would my options be without purchasing the cable apart from Fresh Install.

If I were to purchase then would something like this work ok for this purpose: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-co...CAPO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343651943&sr=8-2
    or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CB...ef=sr_1_5?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1343651943&sr=8-5

This is the drive I have bought if it helps: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-256...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1343651613&sr=1-1

24. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491