1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing FS2 sub with MJ Pro 50?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by timlloyd, Aug 28, 2003.

1. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is it possible to replace the sub in my FS2 system with one that has a relatively high crossover (i.e 240Hz). I was thinking of adding a MJ Acoustics Pro 50, the crossover on this has a max frequency of 240Hz. If I used this, could I discard the standard FS2 sub and wire the satellites direct to the amp or is the sub required to provide addtional power to the satellites aswell?

Tim

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How high does the crossover on your amp go?

I have no idea how the FS2 panels respond if you send them a full >(80-120Hz) signal, but it might be that they roll off naturally at about 230-240Hz. If that's the case, you could connect them directly to the amp and use bass management to remove as much LF as you can. If you can get a full range signal to the sub somehow (aux line-out maybe?) and use it's crossover @240Hz I imagine that'd sound ok and provide better performance than the standard sub.

Doesn't seem likely though - I've heard the panels sound awful hooked up in this way. Perhaps because lower frequencies do funny things to their resonant modes (which are critical to the way in which they work). :-\

Your best option is probably just to add the Pro 50 (or a better sub - there are plenty out there for the same price or less!) to the system and allow it to reproduce the very lowest frequencies, with the fs2 sub handling mid-bass.

MuFu.

3. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mufu

I have a Denon AVR 1601, cant find a setting anywhere to set the crossover on the amp, only settings for large or small and a SW option of sw+main?

Appreciate your comments on sending a full range signal to the panels, accoding to the specs they have a response of +-3dB 285Hz - 20kHz with crossover at 235Hz, assume this is on the mission sub.

I was assuming I could get a full range signal to the Pro50 by using the high level inputs from Front L&R on the amp.

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Could do - you'd lose rear bass management that way but it might be quite a good thing with the crossover set so high! Edit - centre bass management too, come to think of it. :eek:

Sounds like the x-over on the 1601 is fixed - so it's probably 85Hz or something like that. I'd wait to hear definitively how the panels behave with frequencies under 235Hz before doing anything. "+-3dB 285Hz - 20kHz" sounds like they're already beginning to roll off way above the x-over frequency so they're probably not up to much at all in that range.

Might be worth trying to get some feedback from people who have run another sub in addition to the Mission one.

MuFu.

5. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have been offered a Pro50 for £279 , does anyone know how the Pro50 compares to a BK XLS 200 which is a similar price? The intended use would be for both music and ht in a smallish room (12 x 15 foot). The pro 50 seems ideal for this what about the BK?

I intend to link the new sub via the sub link on the FS2 sub, this would provide a crossover of about 200Hz. If I enable the LFE bybass on the BK sub or set the Pro 50 to a high crossover what would the results be like, appreciate the bass may be somewhat directional at this level but what would they respond like?

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The XLS200 is better in almost every way (I've heard the Pro 50 and BK's previous bargain corner sub, the SDA-XLS10). It is similarly well built, has a far more powerful amp, better drive unit, larger cabinet and they throw in a high level lead with the package (a £30 optional extra for the Pro 50). For music I guess either sub would do a decent job, but HT will set them apart. No contest, whatsoever. :)

I wasn't aware of the fs2's second sub output - I'd use that with the BK or MJA crossover enabled and try and integrate it with the current sub.

MuFu.

7. rocky

rocky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    timlloyd, did you get around to trying this? I'm also considering adding a BK sub to my FS2 system. Is it as simple as plugging the new sub into the 'low level out' socket? Is there a big improvement in LFE effects?

Thanks for any feedback.

8. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Rocky

Unfortunately not, I've actually sold the FS2's and gone for a set of mk2 eggs. I thought by the time I added the bk sub it was the same as selling FS2's and going for the eggs. Overall a much better sound with deeper bass as well (against fs2's not fs2's + bksub).

If your considering it I would be tempted to do high level to the fs2 sub and then have your amp set to small and feed the bk sub via low level. I was also contemplating a pioneer 812 amp, I believe these have a crossover upto 200Hz, using this I think you could probably do away with the fs2 sub altogether and have the bksub in lfe bypass mode.