1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing Fronts

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hawklord, May 2, 2003.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    What kind of budget would I have to generate to upgrade my front L+R and Centre speakers ?(currently B&W's). These are very good speakers imo and would like some pointers on makes and models that would complement my kit and not be replacing like for like. Am I gonna have to spend £1000's to improve performance or is there an affordable upgrade solution with a more reasonable price point.
    I haven't looked at higher priced speakers before and would really like some advice if anyones got the time:blush:

I'm tending more towards stereo repro since my time is split generally 70% listening to music and 30% movies.

I know after upgrading these speakers I'll have to look at replacing my surrounds ,but, that will come later.

all thoughts welcome!:hiya:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If you like the general sound of B&W's then the CDM range do represent a substantial increase in sound quality,without going to the expense of the Nautilus range,which again are much better than the CDM's.

Other brands worth looking at include Linn,Ruark etc,but you may well find yourself most happy with something similar in voicing to what you already have.

The only other thing I would say about going up in the B&W ranks,is that the more expensive speakers do place increasingly heavy demands on the amp....I found my 805's were giving the Tag 5 channel amp in the demo room at my local dealer a very hard time....be sure to listen in your own home before buying.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    So the CDM 1NT and CDM CNT would be a marked improvement over my DM600 series 3 speakers and direct replacements?

What price would I be looking at to purchase these and who would you recomend as a supplier?

Would my Mission stancett stands need replacing as well or would they suffice?

Has anyone upgrade to this series of speakers - what are your thoughts on their performance against similar priced alternatives.

Thanx again for any assistance- much appreciated:clap:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    There are dealers for B&W in Basingstoke,Southampton and Portsmouth....you can find the addresses etc on www.bwloudspeakers.com

If I remember correctly the CDM1s are about £800 per pair and the CDM CNT is about £400.

When I was changing from a stereo only system to an AV system I listened to these and several other similarly priced speakers from Spendor,Linn,Ruark and a few considerably more expensive offerings from B&W and Wilson Benesch etc before settling on the Nautilus 805s....I think for the money the CDM1s are superb speakers,and offer a good portion of the sound of the Nautilus range for a lot less cash.

The dealers in your area are part of the Audio-T chain....I don't know them at all,but have found my local Audio-T to be excellent in terms of time,impartial advice,and most importantly,home demos.

Like I said before though.....be sure to listen to as many in your price range as possible,narrow it down and take a few home for direct comparisons.

BTW...not familiar with those stands.....you can get dimensions etc from the B&W website which may help.

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably closer to you than Basingstoke, but there is an Audio-T in Camberley, and also I think Tru-Fi are a B&W dealer (well they used to be, haven't been in there for a couple of years), just round the corner from the Audio-T store.
    BTW the Audio-T guys are white hot on Meridian kit.

6. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tru-fi are not there anymore but Audio-t is very very good

boogie man

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    My lounge is quite small (15 ft by 12ft) and copes well with the 602 S3's when positioned and set up correctly. Does this size of room limit my options atall? The B&W's have quite a large footprint and I wouldn't really want to go much bigger than this 'cause space is at a premium.
    I also tend to listen mostly to rock, indie, pop and goth music depending on the mood i'm in do all the speakers mentioned ( Linn, Castle, Spendor and Proac) lay thems selves more to this type of music. I'll obviously take some of my mostley played cd's along for reference but it would be nice to narrow the field a bit if possible.

Thanx for all the helpfull feedback.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The CDM1's will obviously take up less space than your current speakers if you chose those,and do play your choice in music very well.
    Of the others you mentioned,Linn and Proac are generally good on that sort of material,but Spendor and Castle(IMHO)are rather better with classical.

As I mentioned previously,the B&W's can be a heavy load for some amps,as can the Linns which usually present a 4-6 ohm load and thus like the B&Ws,have a fairly heavy current demand at low frequencies.....as long as you try before you buy...no problems!

9. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I'm Auditioning a selection of speakers on thursday at Audio-T in Basingstoke.
    I shall try to listen to as many speakers as possible with the material i'm familiar with. They also have my arcam set up there too which is a helpful so it should give me a good idea of how they may perform at home.
    I'll let u know how I get on.

Thanx for all your help.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Good luck...hope you find something suitable!

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    How about giving us a run down on your feelings on each speaker

12. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I thought the CDM's were very good but in your face. Also I was put off a bit by the huge size of the centre speaker. The build quality was great as well.
    The proac's were very small but packed a huge punch they didn't have a centre speaker of this make to hand but still was very impressive.
    Both the Quad and Dynaudio were of similar quality of both build and sound. The detail and positioning was great although a bit aggressive for my taste.
    Although i'd be happy with any of the speakers auditioned as part of my kit I think I favoured the Linns both on simple styling and the more relaxed sound they gave.
    I will be auditioning these again either as a home trial or at least with similar Arcam kit at their showrooms since they used a Denon avr3803 and Denon 3800 dvd player whilst auditioning the speakers. I may even be able to stretch to a Ninka floorstanding speaker as apose to the Katan so would like to have a listen to that.
    I've asked the chaps at audio-t to quote me a price on both configs and asked for another audition to finalise what I will go for next week.
    I'll keep you posted to what transends.

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hawklord, try some Ruark & Rega speakers out, these are very "musical" speakers.

14. faiz

faiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hawklord, up until recently i'd always used B&W speakers. My CDM 1NT's replaced my 602 S3's and i can tell you that the CDM's are a definite improvement. However i've recently been feeling that the CDM's are just a little too 'in yer face' and maybe a bit artificial sounding. Dont get me wrong, they are very good speakers and most people seem to love them. Anyway i've purchased the Ninkas to replace them as i was looking for a more relaxed and natural sound. At first they didn't sound too good in my system ( Arcam Alpha 9/9P, Meridian 506.24 ) as they lack the 'immediacy' of the CDM's. However now that i've had them a week or so i'm entirely satisfied i did the right thing in buying them - more natural sound, realistic, and more bass. And they look great too. If you're going to buy them make sure you get the upgraded bases as they make a big difference to the sound. Now i'm thinking about changing the amps to Linn for an ( eventually ) active system. Can anyone tell me - do i get the Kolektor and LK85 ( will this combo be any better than the Arcams ), or the next step up which is the Wakonda and LK140?

Another ( lesser ) reason for moving to Linn was the CNT centre speaker - although it sounds great its just too big for a normal sized living room. It dominated the appearance of my room and the my Loewe TV to the point where i got sick of the sight of it. So i'll be getting a Linn Trikan to replace it ( much more room friendly ) - does anyone have any experience of it?

15. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I have just taken delivery of the Ninkas and Trikan this afternoon.
    Have set them all up with spl Meter and bi-wired with my existing Van den Hul Teatrack Bi-wire speaker cable.
    The sound of these speakers is a vast improvement upon my B&W's that I sold via the classifieds yesterday (as would be expected given their price- but worth every £ imo).
    How long will it take to run these speakers in? I've read some reviews on the audioreview web site and they recon it takes about 300 hrs+.
    Is my current speaker cable of the right quality to get the best out of these speakers? The guy's at Audio-T recommended I get some Chord Company Odyssey speaker wire which they quoted Seven metres of ody biwire is 7 x £34,18 terminated plugs x £3 is £54,total £292 with 10% discount hence £262 total- is this a good deal or would you recommend an alternative. I'm a bit reluctant to spend so much unless the benefits are major.
    thanks for any feedback.