Replacing front left and right speakers

DavidT

I have a 5.1 system consisting of a Denon AVR-X2100W, BK XLS200 MKII sub and Q Acoustics 1010i front, rear speakers and 1000Ci centre speaker. One of the front speakers is starting to misbehave (audessey reports it is out of phase but doesn't seem to affect the sound) so I was thinking of replacing both fronts. I have a unused pair of Boston Acoustics A25 speakers which I am thinking of using as my front pair but not sure if they are better, worse or no different to the QA speakers or how they will behave with the QA's. The A25's have a larger bass unit (130mm) than the QA (100mm) but the treble unit is 25mm in both speakers. I am also wondering if I could remove the rather large QA centre speaker and have a 4.1 setup. I know what you are all thinking, these speakers are about 10 years old, but they work!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Try it out with the Bostons, run Audussey and listen is there much of tonal difference that would bother you. I believe the Boston A25s are better than your old QAs, but your ears will be the final judge.

You could also try changing the Audussey target curve from Reference (default) to Flat. See which you prefer more.

DavidT

Having investigated the phase issue further it seems not to be a problem and can be ignored. I checked the speaker wiring is connected correctly so next time I run audessy I will just skip if the error happens again.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Having investigated the phase issue further it seems not to be a problem and can be ignored. I checked the speaker wiring is connected correctly so next time I run audessy I will just skip if the error happens again.
Sure. You can still try those Boston speakers as mains. I remember the first QAs 1000 range weren´t anything special. They got some big name designers later on board and they changed quite a lot.

DavidT

Sure. You can still try those Boston speakers as mains. I remember the first QAs 1000 range weren´t anything special. They got some big name designers later on board and they changed quite a lot.
I might still try them, the A25's are rear ported so I will probably have to site them either side of the tv on the tv stand. The 1010's are front ported and at the moment are either side of the tv on wall brackets.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom