Replacing express with extreme

gerbilly

just asking for a wee bit of advice. I have my computers working wirelessly through my airport express (3 years old) and I have now purchased a extreme.
So should i disconnect the ethernet cable from the express and remove this. Now do I load the extreme software before I plug in the extreme or do I do so at the same time?
Any general advice on how to set up would be great thanks!:hiya:

aniki

Novice Member
Hi,

IIRC the actual wireless software is the same, 'Airport Utility' which should already be on your machine.
You can unplug your ethernet cable from the express and plug it into extreme.
Open your Airport Utility and it'll scan for Wireless Apple devices.
When it finds the extreme, it'll be displayed on the left hand side. You can highlight it and follow the steps just as you would have done when you set up your express.
-
You will need to use the disc if you wish to install the Airport Disk utility :)
-
PS: If the extreme is brand new, you should be fine with above procedure. If its second hand, before you connect, you should plug into the mains and hold down the reset button for 10 seconds (Hard Reset) to erase any previous users settings, or you will have trouble connecting!

aniki

Novice Member
One more thing!
As you are replacing your express, there is one more thing that might save some hassle.
When you begin setup for the extreme, select 'Create a wireless network'.
Then call it exactly the same as you did with your express and use all the same settings and passwords.
This way when you fire up any of your 3 pcs, they should connect just as they used to without realising you've actually changed the hardware :)

gerbilly

One more thing!
As you are replacing your express, there is one more thing that might save some hassle.
When you begin setup for the extreme, select 'Create a wireless network'.
Then call it exactly the same as you did with your express and use all the same settings and passwords.
This way when you fire up any of your 3 pcs, they should connect just as they used to without realising you've actually changed the hardware :)

thanks I have set it up now fairly painless!

I am not using the express at the moment.

I spoke to soon. one of my i macs seems to connect the wireless symbol shows full and it says I am connected to the internet, however when i try to go to a website on this one it says error message. I tried to go to airport utility and got this message
you cannot open this application airport utility because it is not supported on this archetecture.
I downloaded utility from my main computer to a flash drive and loaded it on the problem one. I tried to get on the tinternet and it aint connecting saying i am not connected to the internet, however i go through diagnostics and it says I am?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom