1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replacing existing DVD Player (thomson 4200)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by walaj, Mar 11, 2005.

1. walaj

walaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - got a very quick question.

I won a Philips DVP630 - I know it is a "cheap" DVD player.

I've already got a Thomson DTH-4200 which I'm happy with.

My Widescreen tv doesn't support progressive-PAL, and I'm currently using both SCART sockets in the Thomson (to daisy chain a Freeview box and VHS video).

So - which should I keep/which is better - the Cheap Philips, or (what was) the midrange Thomson?

J

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well the 630 also does RGB thru Scart according to philips website. Best thing would be for you to connect them both to the T.V and see which you think provides the best picture.

The Philips only has one SCART so if you use RGB passthru, then the Thomson suits better with it's 2 SCARTs.

Does the Philips convert NTSC to PAL60? which the Thomson will do.

Best bet is as mentioned above - connect both and see which you feel looks the best

Forgot to say, the Thomson model doesn't appear on the 2004/05 brochure on the thomson-europe website, not sure if it is a current model now or not

regards
    Gary

3. walaj

walaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure that the Thomson does RGB passthru - if it does, my sony video def doesn't (Might need to check the chaining though - )

yup - will do.

yup - it's an old model - November 2000, hence the question - is new&cheap better than old&medium priced...

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, well i've got a pioneer 525 that i bought about 5-6yrs ago cost £300 IIRC with MR mod from a company called Techtronics, i've also got a cheap Bush DVD player that came free with an insurance policy we took out.

Bush looks better physically, and the picture is as good as the 525 (in my eyes) and also plays stuff the 525 won't (Mini DVD being one, as well as MP3 etc)

so in theory, based on this, then current new&cheap is as good as old/mid price systems within reason ;) .

You will tend to get more gimmicks on cheaper stuff, but loose out on other things, the Bush for example hasn't got a Standby Mode, so has to be physically turned off (annoying for remote controlling everything with one button for example).

regards
    Gary