• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Replacing BT Vision - Any Suggestions?

ajay16

Established Member
Im contemplating switching broadband from BT (£26 a month) to O2 (£8 a month).

But then my Vision Box wont work (i dont use the on demand ever anyway) but i would like a replacement for the Vision box that is as good, ie 2 tuners, series link, easy to use, good looking menus, maybe web connection for TV show infomation instead of OTA.

Which also means i would have to buy a new Wireless N (instead of BT home hub) router...........so much hassle :suicide:

Gavtech

Administrator
Have you considered the possibility of a different package with BT?
I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get one cheaper than £26 ppm.

ajay16

Established Member
I need the full package, i download about 30gb of torrents a week. But the speed i get is only 2mb at best when i pay for upto 20mb.

O2 are doing Unlimited downloads upto 8mb for £7 a month if your an O2 customer. Even O2's 20mb package is £17 a month.

Im thinking it means buying about £300/400 of kit just to make the switch though, PVR will be about £200/250 and the router will also be £100 or so.

ajay16

Established Member
Well its not seen as most of Milton Keynes can only get around that speed........and i never signed a BT contract agreeing to fair usage policy as i used to work for them and was given it free of charge.

Im not saying its 30GB every week, but for example if i downloaded 5GB in one night then i would have gone over the limit for Option 1 BB with BT.

Back to the topic though....

MarkE19

Im contemplating switching broadband from BT (£26 a month) to O2 (£8 a month).

But then my Vision Box wont work (i dont use the on demand ever anyway) but i would like a replacement for the Vision box that is as good, ie 2 tuners, series link, easy to use, good looking menus, maybe web connection for TV show infomation instead of OTA.
Have a look at the Humax PVR's at ~£150 or the Topfield 5800 (if you can find one new) or 5810 at ~£220. Other than the web connection they will do all you want (I don't know of any PVR with web connection though). The 5800/5810 is easily upgradeable with TAPs such as MyStuff that let you configure the PVR to work the way you want it to.
Which also means i would have to buy a new Wireless N (instead of BT home hub) router...........so much hassle :suicide:
Why do you need a wireless N router? A bog standard Netgear (or whatever make you want) wireless G router should be plenty good enough, especially if your PC/laptop is only wireless G.

Mark.

clemenzina

Established Member
With a Topfield OP could put the Radio Times or Digiguide on it. Might a visit to Welcome to Toppy.org.uk be useful?

You can do all sorts with a Toppy, I'm pitiful with mine but I did manage to install MyStuff.

clemenzina

ajay16

Established Member
Why do you need a wireless N router? A bog standard Netgear (or whatever make you want) wireless G router should be plenty good enough, especially if your PC/laptop is only wireless G.

Mark.

I need wireless N because both my MacbookAir and iMac are wireless N and i do alot of file transferring between the two.

Ok thanks for that il take a look into the Topfield ones, i thought Humax was the only decent one around until i found out about Topfield yesterday.

clemenzina

Established Member
i thought Humax was the only decent one around ...

Good build and picture quality (imVHo) but the brand is prominent in the problem pages - especially but not only for its bad timing.

clemenzina

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom