Replacing boards in Sony XBR65A8H

agiduda

Novice Member
Hi, all. A first post for me here.

I bought a new Sony XBR65A8H back in November, it worked flawlessly until 2 days out of warranty. :rolleyes:
After being on for a while (~hour when cold) it would shut off with 4 red blinks. If I keep trying to watch the frequency of the shut down becomes more frequent.
I contacted Sony support and did the factory reset dance a few times to no avail.

After a little sleuthing on the internet about it would appear the 4 blink code has to do with the power board or the main board. So, I got out a FLIR camera and recorded the front of the TV when cold, and then another image after each shutdown. From those images I could see the region of the power board keeps increasing in temperature.

So I got replacements for both the main and power board.

Here is my question - How do I open this model up? Unlike TV owned in the past there does not seem to be a screw hole to be found. I have not looked on the bottom yet, I thought I would ask here before committing to placing the set face down. It is a bit big.

Also, I though I would add - I spent 30 years as an electronics manufacturing engineer so I am quite comfortable with this endeavor.

Thanks!

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hi, all. A first post for me here.

I bought a new Sony XBR65A8H back in November, it worked flawlessly until 2 days out of warranty. :rolleyes:
After being on for a while (~hour when cold) it would shut off with 4 red blinks. If I keep trying to watch the frequency of the shut down becomes more frequent.
I contacted Sony support and did the factory reset dance a few times to no avail.

After a little sleuthing on the internet about it would appear the 4 blink code has to do with the power board or the main board. So, I got out a FLIR camera and recorded the front of the TV when cold, and then another image after each shutdown. From those images I could see the region of the power board keeps increasing in temperature.

So I got replacements for both the main and power board.

Here is my question - How do I open this model up? Unlike TV owned in the past there does not seem to be a screw hole to be found. I have not looked on the bottom yet, I thought I would ask here before committing to placing the set face down. It is a bit big.

Also, I though I would add - I spent 30 years as an electronics manufacturing engineer so I am quite comfortable with this endeavor.

Thanks!

My understanding is limited other than OLED's are sealed so I suspect you'd need to know exactly how to go about doing this. I'd be tempted to get an engineer to do this for you. Good luck.

agiduda

Novice Member
Not all OLED’s are sealed. So, from your response you do not know the answer to my question.

I’m not sure if your comment about finding an “engineer” to help me is snarky or not. I choose to seek answers first before breaking things with blind assumptions. And this is a fairly expensive thing.

Either way your response is not of much use to me to and others that have this question.

I look forward to helpful advice on this subject.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom