replacing Audiolab Power amps for an Arcam FMJ P7

fatrich

Hi can anyone please help or offer any assistance?, I currently have in my home cinema x3 Audiolab 8000p and x1 Audiolab 8000m
The 8000p are driving my front 2 kef reference one's and the rears and the 8000m is driving my kef ref200c (all bi-wired) and I'm very happy with this set up which I've had for some time.
But if I bough say an Arcam FMJ P7 would that be classed as an upgrade (looking at a one box solution for the power ). this is going to run through a Denon avr x4400 (my current receiver which I'm not looking to replace)

Thank you in advance

Richard

fatrich

Hi
Thanks for your response, yes the Audiolabs are very good but heard good things about the P7's and it would have a smaller footprint over having x4 separate power amps
I was just curious to see if it would sound any better over the Audiolabs
Thank you

Richard

BriD

Won't sound any better no. Largely a power amp is a power amp. The Audiolabs will still hold their own against modern power amps and your Reference 1s aren't particularly hard to drive (though from memory of working for a year at Sevenoaks Hifi, they are hard to lift!!)

fatrich

8000m's are going for £300+
I,could probably get £1100 to £1200 for all 4 they seemed to go up in price

IWC Dopplel

I have owned both and compared a number of power amps against the P7, including P1's, NAD M25, Naim 250's and 135's. The P7 can be a little warm and if driving hard loads slightly soft in the bass. But a good solid amp that has good resolution, good timing and overall is a strong performer. I found the 8,000M to be a little lean in tonal balance, slighlty bright (brighter than the P7). I suspect the 8,000M's will be more load tolerant than the P7. Having said that the P7 has a good power supply and plenty of drive for most speakers.

IWC Dopplel

PS Sonus Faber Extremas were a little too challenging for the P7. All worked fine but the Extremas sounded a bit undynamic and soft in the bass (which they are not when partnered correctly)

shug4476

I agree on actual sound quality it is unlikely to be a substantial change either way. The P7 is very powerful though, much more powerful than the P85 on which it was based, so it would definitely drive all your speakers to high levels.

shug4476

PS Sonus Faber Extremas were a little too challenging for the P7. All worked fine but the Extremas sounded a bit undynamic and soft in the bass (which they are not when partnered correctly)
That was probably the tone of the amplifier rather than insufficient power. The Extrema doesn't present a particularly demanding load (although not an easy one either!).

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I agree with what’s been said. I’d take your old Audiolabs over the newer Arcam P7. My only beef with Audiolabs is that they run so hot.

FYI Lyngdorf have a new multi-channel amplifier due shortly that will have dramatically different performance from any products currently available. It was shown at the ISE in Feb 2019 and the technical date shown was remarkable.

I’m sorry I don’t have this info available, but this is real and the product is only waiting on all the safety approvals which apparently takes around a year.

Trending threads

Top Bottom