Replacing an SVS 20-39 PC plus

SPINO

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Guys , Time has come to replace this excellent sub . We have finnally re decorated and re arranged our HT room and it just wont fit in . I need a smaller sub that can fit behind the table the plasma is sitting on ( about 13 inches space LxW ) or to the left of the unit about 14 inches width and dept , I was thinking of a PV1 or an Arcam Logo ? Any suggestions on a replacement ?

Your cylinder has probably the smallest footprint of any quality sub out there so be careful with replacing it if you expect anything like the same performance you have from the SVS.

The PV1 will be quite a step down IMV.

Thanks guys , Dont like the look of the seizmic 10 , Not very WAF ,i see the Ultracube 10 getting great reviews . Is there any of the smaller BK subs worth considering as a replacement ? Thanks

I replaced my 20-39 PC Plus with the SB12 and was surprised at how close in performance the two subs were considering the comparatively small size of the SB12.

They are still available here

The SB12-Plus is literary down to the last few. We received a container load that was sold out before we received it, and the only ones we have left are a few subwoofers that weren't picked up.

If they should be gone, we will get the SB12-NSD sometime in august. It will be the direct replacement for the SB12-Plus performance wise, with improvements in some areas. It will have fewer features than the Plus, but it will also be a bit less expensive. In short it is a better performer than the Plus, but with fewer finish options, less features but a lower price.

Later on the new SB12-Plus will arrive, it will be substantially more expensive than the outgoing model, but also have an whole other level of performance.

I've just notice prices for SVS in Europe has rocketed recently, how come?

I've just notice prices for SVS in Europe has rocketed recently, how come?

That should not be the situation. We have not adjusted the prices on any product, but the PB10-NSD, the last year or so.

The new PB10-NSD costs 17.5% ($425 ->499) more than the old model. We tried keeping the old price, but in the end we had to raise the it by 5%.

As for our prices compared to the ones of the former British distributor. I personally did a price check before we decided to take over. In some cases we were a bit over, in other a bit below, but all in all we were pretty equal.

We have a large warehouse, filled to the brim with SVS' entire product line. We also keep every service part available in stock, end even before we became the British distributor, we from time to time supplied customers here with service-parts.

We promise to keep our prices as low as possible, and the service equally high. We have already received lots of praise for the latter from British customers, so hopefully we are doing something right :blush:

I don't doubt the level of service for a second from you guys as I recently had a query which I felt was dealt with very professionally. :smashin:

After checking US prices I suppose it's not fair to single out Europe, it seems prices for SVS products has gone up by over 50% in the last 2 or 3 years. As a comparison, I paid just less than £600 for my PC+ 3 years ago but now the equivalent costs almost £1000. That is a phenomenal price hike! SVS not quite the bargain that it used to be eh?

I don't doubt the level of service for a second from you guys as I recently had a query which I felt was dealt with very professionally. :smashin:

After checking US prices I suppose it's not fair to single out Europe, it seems prices for SVS products has gone up by over 50% in the last 2 or 3 years. As a comparison, I paid just less than £600 for my PC+ 3 years ago but now the equivalent costs almost £1000. That is a phenomenal price hike! SVS not quite the bargain that it used to be eh?

I think the prices for most things have gone up the last 5 years, the good thing about the products from SVS, is that their performance have risen as well. :)

The Plus of today, is a very different product to the Plus of five years ago. Even though they look sort of similar, and on paper are specced similar.

The old PB12-Plus had a price (US prices) of $999, the new model costs $1199. The performance delta in pure SPL alone, is larger than the difference in price, by a lot. Judged both objectively and subjectively, I think the new Plus will prove that it is worth the extra dough, and maybe even then some :)

I replaced my 20-39 PC Plus with the SB12 and was surprised at how close in performance the two subs were considering the comparatively small size of the SB12.

They are still available here

When you say close do you mean in terms of slam or both slam and depth?

Depth wise there had to be a larger gap surely?

I think Ian means at moderate levels there is not that much difference between the two subs (as he has said before on other threads).

The difference is more apparent when you turn the wick up to near reference levels and beyond which is where the SB12 runs out of steam in both depth and slam.

Thanks guys , Dont like the look of the seizmic 10 , Not very WAF ,i see the Ultracube 10 getting great reviews . Is there any of the smaller BK subs worth considering as a replacement ? Thanks

The Ultracube range are great subwoofers and very compact indeed. With the Ultracube 10 retailing for £849 and the Ultracube 12 at £1099 they offer a lot of performance for the money and in a really room friendly size.

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks guys , Dont like the look of the seizmic 10 , Not very WAF
That's my concern. I have one coming for review which I will conduct based on pure performance terms. As I'm not a confirmed bachelor, I can already see that it isn't exactly a shrinking violet in terms of looks, but these things don't tend to look so bad once you see one sitting on your carpet.

To put it another way, smaller subs tend to offer more opportunities for hiding them in in less visually intrusive circumstances and after an SVS cylinder, almost anything will look altogether more discrete than a three foot tall furry tube.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom