Replacing an Onkyo TX-SR674E

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JamShady, Apr 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JamShady

JamShady
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The time has come to say goodbye to my 674, for the last two months it's been plaguing me with a flicker in the picture when using my xbox 360 (visible as a kind of dark flickering shadow that moves around the picture). AV-Sales whom I bought it from have been quite good about it and are collecting it for a refund, so now I'm in the market to replace it.

The absolute must-have feature of the replacement is HDMI upconversion from at least Component input (and obviously all onscreen messages have to display via HDMI too, the Onkyo range only outputs the onscreen messages via composite, but the 674 also does it via HDMI thanks to the composite -> hdmi upconversion). I've just got the one HDMI lead going to my projector, and that's it.

I'm not bothered about whether it can handle 1080p, I don't have a 1080p projector, and I might not get one for a few years yet in which case I'll upgrade the amp if need be. For the moment, 720p is seeing me fine (1080i is no good for gaming, and I prefer 720p for watching SkyHD anyway).

Now, I'm not sure what the problem with the Onkyo was, I can't find anyone else who's experienced the same problem as I have (but then, not too many people have the same size screen as me so it's possible that others haven't seen what I've been experiencing). At this point I suspect that I either got a one-off faulty amp, or maybe the design of the amp just can't handle the 360 signal (which makes little sense because it did it in ALL the display modes the 360 does, and not any other device like my NGC via component).

I wouldn't mind trying the 674E again, except they're quite hard to get a hold of in black now, and I understand the successor is coming out in a couple of weeks anyway. Alternatively, there's a Denon 2307 available, or Sony 5200, or Yamaha 7000 (something like that). I'm torn which to go for and what to do. At the mo' I'm tempted to go for the Denon, but I'd also like to wait for the new range of amps from Onkyo (might as well get a brand new design, no?)

Cheers

2. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    2307 is a great amp. I demoed it against the 674