Replacing an old Samsung

thegreatpoobarr

Novice Member
Hey, really looking to draw from your pool of knowledge on this one.

Had a Samsung for a number of years now (11 years to be exact!!!!), it died. Turns out my OH took an extended warranty at the time of purchase, which I was kinda aware of, turns out she opted for the ongoing monthly payment forever option, which I wasn't aware of. No matter, it's done, and we fired it in for repair. Unsurprisingly it can't be repaired and has been written off. We've now been given a voucher for a new telly a recommendation of a model to replace it. Here's where the trouble starts...

The voucher is a whopping £250, give or take a few quid and the retailer is of course Currys. So I've spoken to them explaining my concerns around the quality of telly that is likely to buy me and the specs on the original one which were important to me and they've been great about it (thus far). I've been told to go away and do a bit of research to find the model with the closest spec and, provided I can justify the similarities and reasoning to them, they'll replace it with that. Here's where I could do with some help, the model I'm replacing is an LE40M86BD (link to the spec here) which was used mostly as a PC monitor, so the specs I'm particularly interested in are the response time (8ms), the refresh rate (60Hz) and the brightness (550 cd/m2) - the first two for obvious reasons and the latter due to the fact my house receives so much sun from midday onward. I've had a look at a few models, but I'd really like some impartial opinions, of course I'd like the most telly I can possibly justify, but equally I don't want to be taking the absolute piss as they'll only say no. I completely appreciate there's probably going to be a bit of compromise on specs, though obviously I'd like it to keep it as close as possible.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

thegreatpoobarr

Novice Member
Really? Bloody hell. Cracking TV for it's time and did the job so nicely it was moved to the other room, stepping up from part time to full time PC monitor, when it was eventually replaced.

And it was eventually replaced by ... a 55" Mu7000!

I just don't know if I have the balls to walk into their store and even attempt to convince them to give me one to replace my dead 40".

Dodgexander

Really? Bloody hell. Cracking TV for it's time and did the job so nicely it was moved to the other room, stepping up from part time to full time PC monitor, when it was eventually replaced.

And it was eventually replaced by ... a 55" Mu7000!

I just don't know if I have the balls to walk into their store and even attempt to convince them to give me one to replace my dead 40".
Yeah on paper its a lot better. I loved the TV.

But the problem is new TVs are only really better at displaying new, higher quality sources so to make it worth it thats what I would go for at very least, personally anyway.

Even with £250 credit getting it for around £400 on top would be a bargain. Even better if you can get them to knock more off.

Equal quality would probably be the Samsung you mentioned or one of the FHD Samsung TVs but again they aren't going to be great at displaying poor quality content. At least by going with the MU7000 the better stuff will look noticeably better.

thegreatpoobarr

Novice Member
I hear you, and if I were replacing a TV used in a nomral everyday fashion I'd absolutely jump at another 55"mu7000, but given as I'm using it as a PC monitor I just don't see how I'd get away with that kind of size, frankly a 40" was pushing it a little. I think I'm going to be pretty hard pushed to get close to the values I've posted above with the stock available to me from Currys. Since you know the TV I'm replacing fairly well would you say there are any specific features of that model I should be looking for in a replacement that I've maybe overlooked? Although I'm savvy enough to navigate my way around current TV technicology it really is only something I dip in and put of as the need arises, I'm not knowledgable enough to be able to identify key features which may have once been prevalent and fashionable, but are now less common.

Dodgexander

Do you need wide viewing angles or view directly in front?

Can't really think of any specs on the TV that are better than now. It is a pre-led era TV with a 60hz IPS type panel. A TV like the Samsung 40MU6400 would be an upgrade in contrast because of its VA panel and LED backlighting but a downgrade with viewing angles, that's just the nature of LCD tech though, you can't have both high contrast and wide viewing angles.

But perhaps because its ultra HD some of the content you use may not look as sharp..although it does depend what you watch. Things like catch up TV and the non-HD TV channels will look softer, as will any streams that aren't great quality.

But HD and above will be more than fine.

If you are stuck to 40" in size the Samsung you have mentioned already (40MU6400) is a good choice. They don't make better TVs at lower sizes like they used to so it's about the best you can get and drawn in bang for buck compared to the Panasonic 40EX700.

thegreatpoobarr

Novice Member
I'll be pretty much directly in front at all times, it's my primary PC monitor. My secondary monitor is a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M (an IPS) so I'm already in a decent position for watching varied quality of media, my only real concern is a good panel, minimal image processing, low response time, decent brightness. I know I can't have it all, so I'm just trying to find the right balance.

Dodgexander

The Samsung 40MU6400 or Panasonic 40EX700 tick all those boxes. The Samsung can get a little brighter but the Panasonic can deal with film content without judder if you feed a 24hz source.
Much like the M86 image processing is turned off when you engage game mode pushing input lag down to 20-24ms which is more than low enough.

Response time well that is another matter, no TV at 40" is going to be better than average. It shouldn't however be a problem compared to the M86.

If you want absolutely less response time then you need to look at IPS panels on models instead which will give you a downgrade in image quality in contrast and blacks for the sake of the panel being slightly faster and its not worth it in my opinion.

If you want the very best of both worlds you have to look at bigger, more expensive TVs.

thegreatpoobarr

Novice Member
Just to stick a full stop on this, I've managed to persuade them that a 49" mu7070 is the closest replacement spec wise and they've agreed to give me one. That'll do nicely.

Dodgexander

Just to stick a full stop on this, I've managed to persuade them that a 49" mu7070 is the closest replacement spec wise and they've agreed to give me one. That'll do nicely.
Nice, should be better than the 40" TVs.

thegreatpoobarr

Novice Member
Should be, I'm just a little bit worried how it's going to feel using a 49" TV, as opposed to the 40", as a monitor. I'll know in a few days.