Replacing an FCU with a standard socket........ok?

Sebastalona

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I currently have two security lights at front and back of house which are both powered by individual FCU's. They both have 13amp fuses in them.

I want to remove my security lights and their wiring, and replace the FCU's with 13amp 1 gang sockets.

I've replaced and fitted sockets/switchs before, so is this just a straight forward swithc, or is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

That should be okay with a couple of caveats;
  1. Who installed the original FCU's, have they been correctly installed?
  2. If the FCU's form part of the ring final circuit, do you have the knowledge & test equipment to verify that. Have you any test equipment to ensure that the new sockets are compliant, if for example a fault occurs, to ensure the overcurrent protective device (fuse/mcb) will operate in the time required.
  3. Has the circuit the FCU's are on, have additional protection provided by RCD, and test equipment to verify that
  4. Are you able to carry out safe isolation
I'm not trying to be clever or obstructive, but if you can see that its not just a case of replacing accessories, and making assumptions that everything is okay. It may well be, but some tests are required to confirm that.

It would be a simple job for a competent electrician, and not too costly.

That should be okay with a couple of caveats;
  1. Who installed the original FCU's, have they been correctly installed?
  2. If the FCU's form part of the ring final circuit, do you have the knowledge & test equipment to verify that. Have you any test equipment to ensure that the new sockets are compliant, if for example a fault occurs, to ensure the overcurrent protective device (fuse/mcb) will operate in the time required.
  3. Has the circuit the FCU's are on, have additional protection provided by RCD, and test equipment to verify that
  4. Are you able to carry out safe isolation
I'm not trying to be clever or obstructive, but if you can see that its not just a case of replacing accessories, and making assumptions that everything is okay. It may well be, but some tests are required to confirm that.

It would be a simple job for a competent electrician, and not too costly.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Both of the FCU’s were installed by an electrician specifically for installation of the security lights.

The sockets I intend to use are both brand new, so I assume confirm to safety standards:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-1...te/14790#product_additional_details_container

I plan just isolate the power to whole house for installation, but I already have a multi meter and socket tester too.

As for your other questions, I don’t know. If these are still critical to know, then I’ll probably just get an electrician in.

The products are sound, and you probably could just swop them over, and be done with it. Thousands do. I have done it numerous times for many customers. Its been only three or four times in the last 5 years, when I've found particular faults. But these faults were particular dangerous, one where the RCD was not functioning correctly.

As these sockets are going to provide power for the various appliances that you & your family will use, I'm sure you'd want to ensure that nothing has taken place, since the FCU's were installed and now. Why not ask back the original electrician?

But its your choice.

The products are sound, and you probably could just swop them over, and be done with it. Thousands do. I have done it numerous times for many customers. Its been only three or four times in the last 5 years, when I've found particular faults. But these faults were particular dangerous, one where the RCD was not functioning correctly.

As these sockets are going to provide power for the various appliances that you & your family will use, I'm sure you'd want to ensure that nothing has taken place, since the FCU's were installed and now. Why not ask back the original electrician?

But its your choice.

The original electrician is dead (of old age, not of his handywork thankfully).

The FCU’s were installed at the same time the consumer unit was replaced when we moved in about 10 years ago.

You should have some labels on your consumer unit. One of them would be recommending a date of next inspection, after the initial inspection, when the consumer unit was installed. Typically for a domestic property, that period is 10 years.

As I said, its your decision.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom