Replacing amp and speakers, advice?

robodelfy

Novice Member
Hi

I currently have an Arcam alpha 7r amplifier and Tannoy revolution R2 floor standing speakers.

I need smaller speakers to mount either side of the TV. I would also like an amp with a toslink input so I didn't have to use a seperate DAC and have more cables, controllers etc.

I would like an amp with a controller, and Bluetooth would be a bonus

I don't need the highest quality but not the lowest either, happy to buy used also. And I just need some speakers that would match the amp well. We don't watch at extreme volumes so don't need anything huge

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Jester1066

Hi What sort of budget did you have in mind in total. Also can you post a picture of your current setup?

I have an Audiolab 6000A integrated stereo amp. This has a great onboard DAC offering 2x optical & 2x Coaxial inputs, Bluetooth. It's buit like a tank and is £599 RRP:

There's also the Bluesound Powernode. This is a amplifier, streamer & DAC in one. It's main advantage over the 6000A is the built in music syreamer and addition of an HDMI to connect it to your TV. it's a bit more expensive than the 6000A @ £849 RRP, but does have a music streamer. So if you stream your music via Tidal etc, it's a useful 1 box solution.

Speakers.is tricky as many of the standmount/bookshelf speakers are not designed to be wall mounted. You can get on wall speakers though. Hence why I said posting a picture will help members give better advice.

robodelfy

Novice Member
Hi What sort of budget did you have in mind in total. Also can you post a picture of your current setup?

I have an Audiolab 6000A integrated stereo amp. This has a great onboard DAC offering 2x optical & 2x Coaxial inputs, Bluetooth. It's buit like a tank and is £599 RRP:

There's also the Bluesound Powernode. This is a amplifier, streamer & DAC in one. It's main advantage over the 6000A is the built in music syreamer and addition of an HDMI to connect it to your TV. it's a bit more expensive than the 6000A @ £849 RRP, but does have a music streamer. So if you stream your music via Tidal etc, it's a useful 1 box solution.

Speakers.is tricky as many of the standmount/bookshelf speakers are not designed to be wall mounted. You can get on wall speakers though. Hence why I said posting a picture will help members give better advice.
Hi, Thanks. I think I have decided to not get a new amp for now and just replace the speakers. So I am looking for some speakers that will go well with my Arcam Alpha 7r

I've seen some people recommend the Wharfedale 9.1 and 220 new, as they are very cheap even new. And also people mentioned AE and B and W

But there are so many options, its confusing. I would like to buy something used I think and get more value for money

Here is a pic, excuse the mess I'm just renovating. I would like to mount a speaker on either side of the chimney breast next to the TV

thumbnail_20210722_094249.jpg

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'We don't watch at extreme volumes' - not really what a larger volume loudspeaker is about.

If you replace the floor stand loudspeakers with small cabinets you could end up having to run the system louder and or adding in a sub as you will likely be used to having the fuller range the floor stand Tannoys deliver.

You have to be careful with recommendations - what else has the person recommending a particular speaker system listened too/lived with (for a long time in your case).

The Loudspeaker and Loudspeaker to room interaction is the more dominant sound you will be used too vs. the 'sound' of the Arcam Amp or Loudspeakers plus a particular amp.

I would be more inclined to work out how to retain the Tannoys and if required swap out the amp or add something between the TV and the Amp which offers you a digital input and digital streaming.

Joe

robodelfy

Novice Member
'We don't watch at extreme volumes' - not really what a larger volume loudspeaker is about.

If you replace the floor stand loudspeakers with small cabinets you could end up having to run the system louder and or adding in a sub as you will likely be used to having the fuller range the floor stand Tannoys deliver.

You have to be careful with recommendations - what else has the person recommending a particular speaker system listened too/lived with (for a long time in your case).

The Loudspeaker and Loudspeaker to room interaction is the more dominant sound you will be used too vs. the 'sound' of the Arcam Amp or Loudspeakers plus a particular amp.

I would be more inclined to work out how to retain the Tannoys and if required swap out the amp or add something between the TV and the Amp which offers you a digital input and digital streaming.

Joe

Thanks. My main reason is just space in a fairly small room. I have the TV mounted on the chimney breast as you can see, and on either side I need to put some storage/floor lights etc. So I thought I could have storage and then some smaller speakers sitting on that rather than the floor standing Tannoys.

I am not attached to the Tannoys, I was giving them and the Arcam amp by my dad. I never was that impressed with the sound. I find that on either side of the chimney breast they sound too bass for me anyway, probably from being close to the wall at the back and side.

So I wondered if some smaller speakers may even sound better. I think the Tannoys have 2 x 5" cones and the tweeter. So if I was to go for something smaller, is there a certain size you'd recommend? I have some single 5 inch studio monitors upstairs and they produce more than enough bass for me.

I think I'd like to try and get some smaller speakers and if they sound awful I can sell them again and keep the tannoys. But I just dont know where to start! What brands or models, or if these new Wharfedales are worth a look

Any advice on that front would be great
thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom