Replacing a video to record Sky - advice please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kiwidude, Nov 23, 2004.

1. kiwidude

kiwidude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A Sky+ box would be perfect for my current needs - but live in a flat with a communal dish so sadly it's out of the question.

I don't particularly care about the DVD recording (it's a bonus not a requirement) - I just want a fat hard-disk recorder (quiet!) that can be triggered off the EPG on my Sky digibox... none of this "8 program limit" nonsense I see some models have...

Money not really an object - from the research I have done the Panasonic E95 and E500 might be candidates but happy to be recommended otherwise. Ultimately I want what it seems many people here do - internet/network-based connectivity, built-in tuner, EPG etc but sadly we have to wait by the looks - hence whatever I buy will undoubtedly be replaced in a years time or so...

I saw someone mention the network features of the E500 - they seem rather "crippled" and mostly pointless here in the UK at the moment (correct me if wrong) - havent seen anyone mention whether Panasonic could/would ever upgrade the software in it, or whether it is just a "dead duck" that they get right in future models instead...

Oh yeah - and it has to be available now - I go on holiday for a month in just over a week hence the "urgency" - need to decide in the next couple of days! :rolleyes:

Many thanks to all that respond - the other postings in here have been great reading just to get to this point...

Cheers,
    Kiwidude.

2. kiwidude

kiwidude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ermmm... (cough) anyone please have an opinion? Am I totally off track or will the Panasonics do the job?

I have to get my grubby mitts on something before I leave next week or Buffy will miss me (or perhaps vice versa, I forget...)