Replacing a Sony Vaio

Hive

Ex Member
Reaction score
We were recently burgled and the burglars took my Sony vaio , it seems Sony don't make laptops anymore ! And the insurance company have offered a Lenovo G70 , seems to me to not be a very good replacement !

Can anyone please recommend a suitable replacement to my Vaio ( think I paid in the region of £900 for the vaio from memory )

Thanks Hive

Vaio is the name Sony used for their computer division, it doesn't denote a specific model. Which model did you have?

Are you after equivalent functionality (i.e. the same speed as the stolen machine) or equivalent positioning (the same price/target audience as your laptop has when new)?

Given the offered replacement are you after another 17"? It's a form factor that's somewhat gone out of fashion these days. There still some 17" models around but not as many as there were five or ten years ago.

Hi thanks for the reply , just had a look and the Vaio was a pcg81312m , does that make sense ?

That code looks like it's an F-series of some sort, there should be another model code beginning VPC-F or VPCF that'll give it's specifications.

Specifications of the VPC-F22M1E:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/VPCF22M1E/list
i7-2630QM
6GB DDR3
640 GB HDD
Blu-ray Disc™ ROM Drive with DVD SuperMulti
16.4" 1920 x 1080
GT 540M 1GB

(I'm assuming the /B just means it's a black case, it's commonly used that way for other computer brands and models)

You haven't said which G70 spec they're offering you but generally it looks to have low voltage dual core processors so I'd expect less CPU power even from the i7-4510U model and appears to lack an optical drive so there's no blu-ray compatibility. GPU performance may or may not be comparable depending on what the G70 has.

The lack of blu-ray and the lower CPU performance are certainly reasons you could reject that offer even if they're providing equivalent performance rather than a new model with equivalent positioning. Whether they'd plump up for a brand new £900+ laptop that does meet the requirements or just give you the value of yours to buy a second hand replacement I don't know.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom