Question Replacing a Sony HT-XT2 Soundbase

Graeme1978

I’ve had the Sony HT-XT2 Soundbase for a few years now. I’m very happy with the sound it produces, but it has had an annoying fault for a couple of years now in that the IR receiver no longer works. This wasn’t a major problem as it was hooked up via HDMI so ARC so my Sky Q or Sony TV remote is able to adjust the volume.

The other 3 HDMI ports are occupied by Sky Q, Xbox One and PS4 Pro. I recently got a 4K Firestick so this leaves me a HDMI port short because I can’t connect the HT-XT2 via optical.

I’ve been looking at the Sky Soundbox, but the lack of ARC is a massive drawback, I don’t want to have to change input on it when switching between Sky and PS4 etc (I’m aware I could just use optical for all, but then you lose the additional Sky functionality which would defeat the object maybe?)

Sonos Playbase looks decent but am aware this seems to be discontinued very recently. Any other recommendations? Needs to be at least as good as the HT-XT2 and preferably a Soundbase, although that’s not for any other reason than personal preference.

Attachments

• 728AC9BE-7360-478B-86F1-360042D8EA58.jpeg
    728AC9BE-7360-478B-86F1-360042D8EA58.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 50

Aryn86

What's your budget? also soundbases are going the way of the Dodo maybe time to think about a regular soundbar. Also are multiple HDMI ports a must then?

Graeme1978

I don’t necessarily need HDMI on the Soundbar/Soundbase, getting a new speaker will free up the HDMI on the TV that the current one uses.

Happy to consider a soundbar if the sound quality matches up with what I’ve got now.

Budget £200 - £300 ideally.

Aryn86

I don’t necessarily need HDMI on the Soundbar/Soundbase, getting a new speaker will free up the HDMI on the TV that the current one uses.

Happy to consider a soundbar if the sound quality matches up with what I’ve got now.

Budget £200 - £300 ideally.

Are you ok with one that includes a wireless sub?

Aryn86

I was going to suggest the Yamaha YAS 209, I think you can find it for just under £300 and tbh it would blow your current soundbase away in terms of performance. Only downside is that it doesn't really have an onscreen display and uses light indicators at the top of the soundbar to let you know when you're putting the volume up or down but other than that it woudn't be a contest with your current solution.

Last edited:

Graeme1978

On screen display I'm fine without, the issue I might have there is I can't think of anywhere to place the sub other than bury it behind the TV stand which I'm sure isn't the optimum place for it?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom