Replacing a Sony 32" CRT after 8 years

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by mkcheznous, Aug 27, 2012.

1. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looking for 40/42 inch TV.
    We use a Humax Freesat HD recorder so will not be using smart functions on the TV.
    It needs to be good at SD playback because we have a large DVD collection and also receive SD French Satelite broadcasts.

It also needs to be good at motion as I like watching sport.

Passive 3D would be nice but not a deal breaker. Active is probably not an option - due to price of specs / comfort.

We also tend to view off axis in our room, so I will probably avoid Samsung, Sony.

One last thing - our room is fairly bright. I have had to fit black out blinds for day time viewing with the CRT, but they are a pain to use and there is some light leakage. Hence I think Plasma may be a mistake.

An impossible request?

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    If passive, then one of the LG or Panasonic LEDs - there is no passive plasma. BUT no LED-LCDs have great viewing angles - that's what you need plasma for! Sony & Samsung LEDs all active too

Something like this worth a look, motion processing, good price too with extras...

LG 42LM660T + Blu Ray - Includes 4 Pairs of Glasses - 3D TV - Crampton & Moore (TV) Ltd

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/LG-...-3D-Full-HD-LED-LCD-TV-Review_315/Review.html Not the best review, but it does depend what your budget is

Panasonic 42" review here too for comparison http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Pan...L47ET5B-L55ET5B-3D-LED-LCD-TV_283/Review.html - similar money

Best thing, head to the shops and have a look. But be aware that the perfect TV really doesn't exist for all uses, needs

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Budget? Mid to high range Panasonic plasmas have good filters that may be ok for your room. For motion and viewing angles plasma is the ideal, also better for SD IMO.
    If it helps my brothers room can be quite bright and he's just got an ST50. As vickster says though going for a demo is a good idea.

4. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    He doesn't want active 3D though...? I know he doesn't have to use it, but daft to pay more as a result?

5. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Indeed but wants good viewing angles, motion, also passive isn't a must, also cost of active is a concern but may be able to get a deal that includes them or buy cheap online. Depends a lot on budget. ST50 or even the UT have great 2D performance too.

6. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Isn't the UT50 a bit weak in bright rooms? Do panasonics still have the 50hz motion issue?

I don't actually think there is one TV that ticks all the boxes - OP needs to decide where to compromise - for me it would be 3D but hey!

7. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your input guys.
    SD performance, sports watching, viewing angles and reasonable picture quality in Bright room or at night with lamps on (my wife sews) is far more important to me than 3D. The only reason I mentioned passive 3D is there is almost zero outlay on glasses. I certainly cannot afford to purchase active specs for the family when we might use it 5% of the time.

Budget is a fair question - was thinking no more than £750 but could be flexible or wait for the right deal once I have decided on the set.

Must admit not convinced by the 660t. According to the reviews, motion is a problem and SD upscaling not the best. I did see one in JL and the footy was not great - though cartoon 3D was impressive. Also the viewing angles for that set are poor compared to a Panasonic Alpha-IPS, which are pretty good for that at least.

Of course the answer on paper is of course a Plasma - I did consider the ST50 - but when I saw one in Richer Sounds it reflected like a mirror and was a little underwelmed by the picture (a little soft - like my Sony CRT) after all the 5* reviews. I am sure it is fantastic in the dark but that is probably only 20% of our viewing time.

I quite liked the Panasonic ET5 and E5 in John Lewis viewing HD content but the reviews report similar issues to the LG.

I was right the first time - it is impossible to find the right set.

Your right - am impossible task.

8. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to add an observation - if you read the 660t/670t reviews - they spend ages on 3D - and most completely fail to mention SD performance - which must still be at least 40% of viewing if you include DVD.

9. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    50Hz issue is nothing like motion problems of LCD. My GT30 had next to no issue I could see and this years sets are even better.

I agree with the latter, you need to decide on what boxes need ticking the most.

10. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    My brother has a 65" in a brightish room he's on here now SJBUK he won't mind giving you his observations.

Did you view in a demo room? plasma can look softer but it can depend on settings they actually go more than sharp enough. Sadly you will get reflections on any set with a glass screen inc some LCDs the filter is more about preventing light entering the screen and washing it out.

For SD scaling Samsung plasma are the best this year though sadly they're 51" up, just can't win with sets now lol. Panasonic's scaling is good this year though.
    If looking for an LCD with good enough motion its worth asking the guys in the LCD forum, maybe post a new thread there asking for recommendations.

11. HDGuy28

HDGuy28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would also recommend an LG LED television in this case, considering the bright room viewing and passive 3D are both accommodated for.

12. mkcheznous

mkcheznous
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bought a Loewe 40 Media LED TV in the end. A bit left field but quite impressed with Demo of it. Crucially has a matte or semi matte screen.

Had a look at a Panny GT50 but just could not get on with it picture wise - despite all the great reviews. This made me discount Plasma.

Also decided I could live without 3D.

The Loewe is bright enough, good off axis, has brilliant sound and a pretty good picture + smart functions and usb record.

Hopefully the one I receive will have no issues that I did not spot at the retailers!