Question Replacing a Lexicon MC12-HD EQ

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by fatboy frank, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    As per the title;

I have a Lexicon MC12-HD which i had a brand new EQ board fitted by Karma AV who also carried out a service and power supply mod at the same time, also have a complete set of 4 x calibration mic's.

Unfortunately the Upgradeitus is growing and i'm thinking about changing it and am consequently looking at suggestions for a suitable replacement.

The two options that spring to mind are either the Arcam 550 or 850 but are there any other SSP's or AVR's i should be considering ?

Also what would be a realistic price for my MC12-HD EQ ?

Edit:
    Just seen the Arcam AV860

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. Rob Sinden

Rob Sinden
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Lyngdorf will shortly have their surround Processor available which is expected to be around £10k. If it provides the same performance and consistancy as the Steinway Lyngdorf P200 (which is should) I dont think there will anything to touch its performance.

3. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,354
    @fatboy frank

A budget may help mate as you've mentioned £2500 / £4500 amps and Robs suggested a £10k amp which is quite a substantial jump but maybe within your budget?

4. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    Probably looking in the region of between £2500 - £5000 dependent on how much the sale of the MC12-HD EQ adds to the pot.

5. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    Your Lexicon is a processor, the Arcam 550 or 850 you mention are receivers. I'll assume here that you are looking to replace the Lexicon MC12-HD EQ as per the title, rather than replace the MC-12HD EQ + LX-7 for £2-£5K, since you say you have "upgradeitus" and that target is more a case of "massive induced downgrade syndrome".

As with all legacy processors (e.g. my AV9) the Lexicon is unlikely to bring much (I'd guess £500 if you're lucky). The $7K McIntosh MX122 might just be in reach, otherwise your best options are likely the Anthem AVM60 or Arcam AV860.

If you have no need for HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2 during the expected lifetime of your new processor, you can also look at older models, such as the Lexicon MC-14 or Classe, which have lower prices.

The Lyngdorf Rob mentioned is not yet available and there are no real details on the home page (only "will do Atmos"), but if you're not in a hurry (so you can save up), may well be worth auditioning when it does get released.

6. fatboy frank

fatboy frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    @Mark.Yudkin appreciate your honest opinion, thanks.

To clarify, yes just the MC12-HD EQ to be replaced and while i am aware the Arcam 550 & 850 are both AVR's i guess i should also add the Arcam 390 to the list too as possible replacements. My thoughts were that if i do eventually go for ATMOS etc i will need additional channels hence keep the LX-7, however, i'm unsure if using any of these as just processors or the AV 860 would better what i already have.
    Must admit i'm more inclined to go with one of the Arcam options as that's what i've always previously had prior to getting the MC12-HD EQ.

Certainly given me a few things to think about, i also need to replace my Panasonic VT50 with a good 65"+ 4K display this year.