Question Replacing a jvc x90

hificork

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using my x90 from new for several years now and very happy with it.
However with my processor upgrade I can now bypass a 4K signal so curious to hear from anyone who can compare my x90 vs a high quality 4K projector?
Also does any one now what approx my projector is worth these days (1500 hours on the 1st lamp, and calibrated by Gordon)?

Speak to @Rickyj @ Kalibrate or @themovierooms but I’d suspect you’re natural next step would be the new x7900, scouting around here and eBay is value it around ~£700.

However with my processor upgrade I can now bypass a 4K signal so curious to hear from anyone who can compare my x90 vs a high quality 4K projector?
Also does any one now what approx my projector is worth these days (1500 hours on the 1st lamp, and calibrated by Gordon)?

Hi
Look at the passengers 4k screenshots and compare with your X90....

X9500 vs X9900 link
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...x790-x7900-owners-thread-28.html#post55000876

This may be of interest.

Differences same resized resolution X90 vs poor sample (focus) X9900.
X90 convergence needs attention if you zoom in.

Lucy almost 4K.

2knohXq.jpg

zqQnD8X.jpg

Compared with an X9500.

X90 (8000ish hours old) vs X9500
Passengers : Screenshot Comparison

Shot @20mm - 1800hr on lamp Iris opened.
Still not enough differences for me to upgrade.

For me the indication that there is little difference is enough for me to hold off getting a new one. :)

Although Javs avs links are very useful in showing certain things, you can't really use large screen images to determine comparative performance of a pj, you have to see them in person. The images you see are limited by various factors such as the quality of the camera and the screen you're looking at, and you certainly won't see the same black level performance. It's also possible that a bad pj can be made to look better than a good one. It's unlikely to capture eshift image noise for example - even Javs had to resort to describing it being much the same as you can't capture that easily in a photo, and for me that's an important part of the overall image. As someone has said before, it's like auditioning audio over the phone.

Try to get some demos, preferably split screen and calibrated, and then you will have a much better idea of the performance differences between the models you are comparing. Only then will you know if it's worth upgrading from what you have.

I think you would be better off waiting for an affordable laser pj and HDR to be implemented in a more presentable fashion as currently it's a mess with all sorts of issues.

Another thing to consider is that Javs' set up uses a very short throw, so he is at maximum zoom. Never the best choice for optimum sharpness and/or highest contrast, though you do get maximum brightness of course.

This is just another example of how variable screenshot comparisons can be let alone the points Gary raised.

Of course if you want to use them to justify keeping with your existing projector, then it'll help save you money. ;)

I've recently gone from the older X500 model (via a HD350 and X35 before that) and now have an X7500. I mainly bought it for the extra light output as I now have a bigger and lower gain screen than when I bought my X500. I knew that choosing the 7500 I would gain some contrast too as I didn't want to be worse off in that regard after an upgrade, but I've been pleasantly surprised by increased sharpness and better motion (not that I was particularly bothered by it even with my HD350).

I'm feeding my X7500 with upscaled 4k/24p via a Lumagen 2041, so I think this is part of the reason it looks sharper than the X500 did, as it didn't seem to benefit from feeding it 4K, perhaps due to changes in the e-shift from 3 to 4.

I've enjoyed each upgrade from HD350, X35, X500 to X7500 though perhaps the X35 to X500 step was smallest apart from the improved fade to black due to the DI.

FWIW I'm in a long throw set up, so when zoomed back for 16:9 content I'm near the minimum zoom end of the projector and less than half zoom for 2.40:1 content.

Compared with an X9500.

X90 (8000ish hours old) vs X9500
Passengers : Screenshot Comparison

Shot @20mm - 1800hr on lamp Iris opened.
Still not enough differences for me to upgrade.
Screenshot comparisons generally tell us bugger all, but that is by far the worst screenshot comparison I've ever seen.

Just from having owned 3 generations of JVC projectors, HD350, X35 and now X7000 and having seen the incremental technological and performance advances of each, even without having seen the X90 or X9500 I would bet my life that the X9500 absolutely trounces the X90 in all aspects.

@hificork
Resolution sharpness test VW760 4K sony vs X90 -
Not the same frame but left as is as the only differences from 40 frames is the lower hair details.

Professionally photographed 36Mp Camera VW760, uncalibrated.

WIY1ZF2.jpg

lAdjBrK.jpg

Compared to my X90 24Mp Camera.

Still images don't show any inherent image noise that may be present either (another reason they're generally a waste of time), and even the latest JVC with eshift 5 still has that, and it's visible from my normal seating distance. So you will definitely need to get a demo to see if it bothers you compared to something like a laser pj which doesn't have it - both the Epson and Sony lasers are noise free in comparison, but have less on/off contrast, so you have to pick your poison.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom