Replacing a classic amp Denon Avc-11sr with a more modern option

cmondetown

Hi folks
I've mentioned on another thread that my fabulous Denon AVC-A11sr is failing on one of the front channels. I am nowing using the preouts to power the fronts from my also ageing Arcam 8. The AV amp is fed from TV and PS5 via optical as HDMI not possible with the amp. I am looking at buying something like a 2nd hand replacement such as Yamaha RX-A3010 or is later iterations (-A3080). Alternatively I could pick up and old classic Denon like the A1HD. These options seem to be about 500+ which is my budget. I'd love to hear your thoughts about how things will sound in comparison, leaving aside all the fancy extras I won't need.
Thanks

rccarguy2

Having a newer AVR with HDMI certainly makes things easier as you don't need HDMI switches, and macros on your remote to integrate that into the system.

You'll get things like 4K, HDR, Atmos, DTS:X, DTS and Dolby Master audio, as well as discrete 7.1 decoding, Auro 3D, room correction and correct time alignment. Dual subs with proper time alignment and volume adjustment per sub, and sub EQ. Latests ones will support 4K 120hz, Variable refresh rate, and 8K also.

As well as network control, streaming spotify, roon, etc.

The issue with older AVR is if you want 4K you'd need to have dual HDMI BD player, it's doable, but having AVR as a hub makes it a bit easier to use, OSD for volume and setup etc.

I've recently updated from a non HDMI legacy DD/DTS AV pre to a modern AV pre with 4K, HDR, DTS-X, HD DD/DTS audio, Atmos. XLR out etc. And added four height speakers.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Hi folks
I've mentioned on another thread that my fabulous Denon AVC-A11sr is failing on one of the front channels. I am nowing using the preouts to power the fronts from my also ageing Arcam 8. The AV amp is fed from TV and PS5 via optical as HDMI not possible with the amp. I am looking at buying something like a 2nd hand replacement such as Yamaha RX-A3010 or is later iterations (-A3080). Alternatively I could pick up and old classic Denon like the A1HD. These options seem to be about 500+ which is my budget. I'd love to hear your thoughts about how things will sound in comparison, leaving aside all the fancy extras I won't need.
as a prior a1hd owner for 8-10 years... i couldn't recommend it now..while awesome in ownership these havent faired well with age... they are quite cheaply priced as can fail and got to point beyond can get any parts....

the only thing coming close to A series now is denon AVCx8500 and older gen....

in the sister marantz brand you are looking at marantz 8012 or 8015 or older model...

the yamaha is really more a mid range type model....current flagship is a8a...but it is still not built in the ilk of the older yamaha Z models.. eg the yamaha z7 or z11 which are similar vintage as denon A1s ....

cmondetown

as a prior a1hd owner for 8-10 years... i couldn't recommend it now..while awesome in ownership these havent faired well with age... they are quite cheaply priced as can fail and got to point beyond can get any parts....
It's interesting that the newer Yamaha's would be seen as mid range in comparison to the old Denon's. I understand the reliability issues with the Denons, but given that anything comparible in terms of sound and bulid quality that is more modern seems to cost thousands, and that I am happy with good quality 5.1, wouldnt I be better spending the money on a better but older amp, even if reliability will be debatable?

rccarguy2

That Denon was 125W so to get something like that now probably means 6700 or 8500. If you're ok with not having latest HDMI 2.1 features you could get older AVR.

ie a non HDR model will be pretty cheap, as long as you don't want a HDR TV in the future.

cmondetown

Having a newer AVR with HDMI certainly makes things easier as you don't need HDMI switches, and macros on your remote to integrate that into the system.

As well as network control, streaming spotify, roon, etc.
I would like decent streaming though!

alebonau

Distinguished Member
t's interesting that the newer Yamaha's would be seen as mid range in comparison to the old Denon's. I understand the reliability issues with the Denons, but given that anything comparible in terms of sound and bulid quality that is more modern seems to cost thousands, and that I am happy with good quality 5.1, wouldnt I be better spending the money on a better but older amp, even if reliability will be debatable?
the newer yamahas are not only mid range vs the older flagship denons...they are also mid range vs the older Z range yamahas as well...

reliability being debatable on the A1HD ? no theres nothing to debate they are to point will fail just matter of when... as i mentioned i owned this series many years and still follow them... everyone ends up having issues... and there are no more parts so becomes an end of the road...

if its jsut 5.1 why update from what you have ? if still going strong...

I would like decent streaming though!
can add a streamer ? appleTV, heos unit... blue sound node ? depends what chasing ...but there is no need to update an avr for streaming :)

Mr Wolf

If you don't require Atmos and have a modern TV that serves as your streaming device then I would look at getting a high end pre-Atmos receiver from 2009-2013. These models will support Dolby Digital Plus decoding via HDMI which will give you access to the highest resolution surround sound currently available from the major streaming services.

The HDMI on these will be 1.3/1.4 so will only support 1080P so you won't be able to use it as a switching hub and retain 4K. Not a problem if the TV is the audio source and/or you have UHD Blu-ray player with twin HDMI outputs which could also be used as a streaming source device.

Possible Yamaha and Denon models:

Denon 4308/4310/4311/4520
Yamaha RX-V1900/RX-V3900/DSP-Z7/RX-V3067/RX-A3010/RX-A3020/RX-A3030

If you're a happy to drop down a rung, the Denon 3000 series had a more powerful amp section in those days than it does today so is also worth considering as is the Yamaha RX-A2000 series.

I'm still using a couple of AVRs from this era and am very happy with their performance.

cmondetown

If you don't require Atmos and have a modern TV that serves as your streaming device then I would look at getting a high end pre-Atmos receiver from 2009-2013. These models will support Dolby Digital Plus decoding via HDMI which will give you access to the highest resolution surround sound currently available from the major streaming services.
What about something like a Pioneer SC-LX81 or later?

cmondetown

I've had an offer accepted on a SC-LX82 which I'm chuffed about. It will certainly be a step up in spec, I just hope it is comparible in sound to the A11sr.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom