replacing a cd player without a cd player, what is the name of this device?

ive already opened a case but seller is saying its working as intended and arcam recommend leaving the player on all the time.

he's not accepted having it returned..no more response from seller yet...ill give him the benefit of the doubt as its the weekend and he may be away (although non of his listings say so)

If you have opened the case as faulty/not as described then I think he has about 8 days and then ebay will step in and make a decision. It's worth arguing your point with him in the meantime as ebay can in theory look over all the discussion you have had before making a decision.

Edit: Just watched your video. Have you sent a link to the seller? If you can I would put a link in a message as part of the ebay claim. To suggest that it's supposed to do that and Arcam have confirmed it is laughable!

Last edited:
I admire the patience of the people here trying to help Password 1, however my patience ran out a considerable time ago when the full story of his chequered 2nd hand collection stated to unfold. I'll keep stum for fear of sounding unsympathetic.
not all my cd players are second hand.. two of the cambridge audio cd players were bought brand new from richersounds. i bought the arcam alpha 9 because they dont make them anymore and i bought it in good faith as described, working and in excellent condition..

i really appreciate everyone's help.

Any update? Did you get a refund out of him?

Thanks to all contributors including the OP @password1 for giving me a thread to read to kill a bit of time on a Sunday afternoon and give me a giggle in the process :D

... think it’s just a bit of trolling? Wouldn’t be surprised.

In truth, that's exactly what I've been thinking as I've been reading through this thread.

"I'd like to replace a CD player with something that isn't a CD player. I don't want to buy something used as I worry about reliability and want a warranty. It must be of the same standard as my existing Arcam kit but I only have £200. I have an old laptop with Windows ME but I have no WiFi or internet connection...."

Eventually ending up with:

"I've just bought a used Arcam CD player off ebay and it buzzes".

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Either this is some European Championship standard trolling or we've found the real-life Mr Mann:

1147145892.jpg

Not just an Arcam but a number of others as well, if i remember the contents of this thread!

In truth, that's exactly what I've been thinking as I've been reading through this thread.

"I'd like to replace a CD player with something that isn't a CD player. I don't want to buy something used as I worry about reliability and want a warranty. It must be of the same standard as my existing Arcam kit but I only have £200. I have an old laptop with Windows ME but I have no WiFi or internet connection...."

Eventually ending up with:

"I've just bought a used Arcam CD player off ebay and it buzzes".

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Either this is some European Championship standard trolling or we've found the real-life Mr Mann:

1147145892.jpg
You completely skipped the episode where he ended up with at a mix of at least 5 used and new CD players.

Top trolling.

Any update? Did you get a refund out of him?
got ebay to step in. refund and sending it back. i was told by ebay i can keep it as well but im sending it back. im waiting for the correct return label.

I didn't want to spend much on an old used cd player for the experience ive experienced but ive always wanted an arcam alpha 9 or high end arcam and the opportunity came up within budget. never again.

i took a gamble...because i have some form of ebay protection and it was described as excellent condition, working and from a seller with 100% feedback.

i had no idea how what i was going to end up with as i made loads of bids.

Not just an Arcam but a number of others as well, if i remember the contents of this thread!

only two more in the end..

a marantz cd6004 as the 600x series was recommended to me on this thread

and a vintage sony..because i was sure they are reliable..

an arcam rdac off this forum

the Cambridge audio cd players i already had.

You won't. You can only eject from the facia button to the left of the tray. It's the same on the later models of Marantz players, bit of a PITA to be honest. If it's of interest the Marantz has a fairly good headphone socket, not too powerful but will drive headphones well enough.
the eject button on an arcam remote.ejects the marantz cd player..

the.volume on the marantz controls the volume oj my cambridge audio and arcam amps..

I've had CD players since they first appeared in the shops in the '80s ie ONE Marantz top loader, a top end Sony 337ES and finally downgraded to my current Micro Denon M40 system with CD player - no breakdowns ever.
Of course now I've had a Brennan B2 since last December.

i am waiting for brennan or another company to make a b2 without the useless (to me) features and sell it for £150-200 plus hard drive or usb memory.

i dont need built in amp, WiFi, networking, headphone out, a fancy display, etc.

I did try to warn you earlier on in this forum Password about buying second hand CD players.
It is risky and sometimes not worth all the hassle, but it seems you have found the Arcam player to be the one you like so there is no reason not to bid for another Arcam once you have received your refund and hope your are second time lucky.
Unfortunately there are some unscrupulous people on eBay that will try to pass on faulty goods knowing full well the goods have faults. I normally always check if the seller has recently purchased the item they are trying to palm off to you from their history, a good sign there is something wrong with it.
From what you describe the humming fault with that Arcam is most probably dried out filter caps on the main PCB where heat is an issue especially where capacitors are situated next to voltage regulators and could be an easy enough fix for someone with a little electronics background. Capacitors are known to (dry-out) especially after 10 or so years and cause the issue you describe and especially as the the owner said he left it powered up all the time.
If they told you to keep it and you still have it -and you have your refund, you could attempt a repair yourself if you know how to use a soldering iron, it would be worth a go and you'd only lose a few quid on new caps if the repair didn't work. You could even still sell it on (with known faults) there are people out there who would still buy it for repair or parts.
A friend on mine once had an Alpha 8, it was a very nice sounding player indeed.

i dont think ill ever buy a used cd player again unless i can pick up and demo and i cant buy new.. ive had a nightmare and learnt my lesson.

the arcam alpha 9 is the perfect match aesthetically and sound quality wise for the rest of my system. id still buy one if i can demo one from 'cold' before buying.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting like you have done, in fact it's all good fun and you get to find the stuff you really like as you did with the Arcam, sometimes though it can be a pain in the butt when it goes wrong.
Personally though I prefer to experiment with the Hifi dealer's demo equipment by borrowing them at home for a few days, admittedly you need need to pay the full price of the goods but you get it back when you return the equipment, that way you never lose any money and still get to hear lots of different gear. The other option is to go to Hifi shows, they're really great fun.
I have still yet to hear a better CD Player under £2000 than the Cyrus CDi, it's not just good for the money, it's just good full stop. It has a silky warmness to the sound with fantastic dynamics and stereo separation but unfortunately it is a little beyond my budget ATM. And until I can afford one I will hang on to my 22 year old Sony CDP-XB920E. Up till now I haven't been able to find anything with similar sound characteristics to the Sony south of £700, the only other player that came close and had a nice warm analogue sound was the Rega Apollo but it's a bit of an oddball.

Last edited:
i dont think there are hi fi shows anywhere near me and im assuming there wont be many cd players to demo...

ive heard of the Bristol one but its a day or two off work plus the travel and expenses

The easiest way to audition CD players is pretty simple. You really don't need to hook up to speakers as they will be in the audition room and bear hardly any resemblance to your home environment. Take along your favourite piece of music, something that you know inside out and a pair of headphones.

Headphones are the best way of discerning how detailed a CDP is. Is it better than the previous one, more soundstage, more depth. You'll just be listening to the ability of the player, nothing else will influence you.

but not all cd players have a headphone socket and is the sound quality of the headphone socket the same as the rca outputs

but not all cd players have a headphone socket and is the sound quality of the headphone socket the same as the rca outputs
All your going to hear with difference CDPs is the detail that they can extract. The biggest influence after that extraction is going to come from the speakers, the room and the amp, in that order. Personally I can hear detail from a DAC but not it's actual tonal difference, therefore I'm only really interested in hearing what can actually be extracted from the disc.

I have found that even with the same DAC the analogue influence of the player, either via RCA or headphone is different and headphones will certainly show that up. Some players, Marantz in particular have their own headphone sockets. Those with analogue out can easily be linked to a dedicated headphone amp or amp with it's own circuit. I find that SACD players can extract more information over a standard redbook version.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom