replacing a cd player without a cd player, what is the name of this device?

no distortion.

when i have the cd player turned on i get buzzing through the speakers..when i turn the volume up the buzzing is amplified.

i have no buzzing from any of my other cd players

its loudest when the player is.first turned on.

Oh ok, just checking it wasn't the same issue as my player as I could have warned you it becomes a bit of a pain in the backside after a while! So have you found the problem comes back every time you switch off the player with the front panel button or is it just there when you first fire it up from the mains switch? £205 delivered isn't a bad price for an Alpha 9 so I can see why you may be reluctant to return it if the problem can be put right easily. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

ive only had it set up for 2 days... the buzzing appears to disappear after 15-20 mins of playing a cd.

it appears turning it on but without a cd playing the buzzing is still there.

ive sent another message to the seller..see if he replies... i.think hes still online as hes selling lots of items on ebay.

ive only had it set up for 2 days... the buzzing appears to disappear after 15-20 mins of playing a cd.

it appears turning it on but without a cd playing the buzzing is still there.

ive sent another message to the seller..see if he replies... i.think hes still online as hes selling lots of items on ebay.
The advice about solder could save you a lot of hassle and you get to keep the unit.

Sadly the pitfall of second hand equipment. Older CD players can be temperamental and there are sellers who just want rid of slightly troublesome units. My advice is to get eBay involved as soon as possible. Open up a case based on the unit being faulty. Sellers who ignore your communication suddenly spring to life when eBay gets involved.

The advice about solder could save you a lot of hassle and you get to keep the unit.
it could but its not certain what the problem might be and if i tamper with the unit and try to fix it myself i cant cant it back. if i send it back ill be sending it back in exactly the same condition as i received it.

it could but its not certain what the problem might be and if i tamper with the unit and try to fix it myself i cant cant it back. if i send it back ill be sending it back in exactly the same condition as i received it.
Certainly don't mess with it if your intention is to send it back. It's always going to be a pitfall with buying used.

Last edited:
Without wishing to sound too rude, I’d sell all your old stuff, buy one of these,

Yamaha CDS700 (Black)

Cambridge Audio AXC35 (Lunar Grey)

Marantz CD6006 UK EDITION (Black)

Or, fling caution and cash to the four winds for this...

Arcam CDS50 (Black)

And get back to listening to music and not machines.

Just a thought.
thanks but my main concern right now is to get this arcam alpha 9.sorted..im.waiting for the seller to.respond.

im going to use one of my players i have already bought. i doubt most of those recommedations are going to be an upgrade. im.happy to.use any of them.but the alpha 9 has the edge in sound over any of them..

Cambridge audio..no thanks..

Fair enough... although I can’t help but think the new Arcam CD player/hub is something of a great buy.

And Peter Tyson has a ex display on offer for £550.

Bit of a bargain :smashin:

No breakdowns, warranty, new mech’...

If you're not confident in trying to fix it yourself I would give JS Audio a call and see if they can give an approximate repair price. Then when you open a case with ebay and the seller is forced to respond you could perhaps negotiate a partial refund. keep the player and get it fixed. I doubt the seller would agree to cover full repair costs but even if it ends up costing you a bit, you should end up with a very lovely sounding working player.

JS Audio Repairs

seller has replied today (maybe he's on this forum or seen this thread...). he has suggested what i have already tried.. tried both sets of rca outputs, digital out, and earthing the unit but there is no earth and not required as per the manual. i used the power cable he sent and.also.my.own.

he's had it for 15 years and has said he connected all his arcam stuff to the mains all the time to keep the transformer.warm.

however he's not offer a refund or partial to cover repair though .although id rather not want the hassle of sending it off for repair. ive no idea how much it would cost to repair if he offers a partial refund..

im not sure what next or whether i cn ask for a refund if the seller didn't experience this problem but ultimately ive bought a cd player not as described..

As I said before, if you open a case with ebay then I guarantee they will come down on your side, refund you the full amount paid inc postage and they will insist the seller supplies a tracked return postage label at his cost so you won't lose a penny.

I would tell the seller you are going to return it but still do the return through the official ebay channels. That way they well ensure the seller supplies a tracked returns label and there's no danger of the seller claiming you never sent the player back.

right, ive just sent a message to seller before i opened up a case....its a waiting game now...

in the meantime I think its between the cambridge audio azur 640v2 and my marantz cd6005 in my main system..

just for a bit of fun i retrieved an old cheap dvd player (Crown) and connected it to my arcam alpha 9r amp and it is truly awful.. so noisy, the tray is rough sounding.. I then bypassed the internal dac and used the arcam rDac i recently bought off this forums classifieds and its much improved..but you can hear the cd spinning very noisily.

seller has replied and not accepted the return.

i ssaidto the seller that im returning because of the fault (buzzing) and the item was not as described working as intended

he is saying that it is working as intended, because he was recommended by arcam to switch the unit on all the time/keep warm unless going away, and that "as i said" the buzzing goes away after a period so the item.is working as intended.

basically he says the unit is working as intended as it should be switched on all the time.. are they meant to.buzz after turning on?

If you bought the one in the link above then I think it's only fair you keep it but that one doesn't seem to match the price you said you had paid so I'm guessing that's not it.

I can tell you for certain that these players, when working correctly, don't have a buzzing sound that only goes away after being switched on for a certain period of time. I have 3 Alpha 9's and a CD92 (identical player internally) and I switch off at the mains as each one is only used once in a while and none of them need a warm up period for any buzzing to die down.

I've just checked the manual to see if anything is mentioned. It states that the analogue power supply is powered at all times when connected to the mains with the front panel power switch powering down all other circuitry. This means with power off you may hear a slight residual hum from the transformer. It goes on to say that if left unused for extended periods then disconnect at the wall socket.

It seems the seller is twisting Arcams words to try and show there is no problem. I can tell you for certain that the residual hum Arcam refer to is not a buzzing sound that goes away after time. It's a very low level noise only heard if you put your head by the player itself.

the one i bought was described as in excellent condition, used, working as intended, no mention of buzzing.

what im hearing is buzzing through the speakers when connected either set he rca outputs which iidont get from any of my other cd players or from the digital out of the arcam alpha 9

That is not supposed to happen I can assure you of that. I think you mentioned you have more than one system. Just as a process of elimination, have you tried it on another set up? Also have you tried different interconnects? The fact that the problem goes away after time certainly suggests to me that it's a fault within the player but I seem to remember many years ago having some expensive Van Den Hul interconnect that despite not being faulty, just wouldn't play nicely with Arcam gear.

It's worth just checking to be sure but I think you'll end up having to open a case with ebay if you want a refund.

ive tried different mains cable and different interconnects that work fine with my other cd players..still buzzes. its appears to disappear quicker when its playing a cd..

ive taken a video..ill try n upload when im.home later tonight

I admire the patience of the people here trying to help Password 1, however my patience ran out a considerable time ago when the full story of his chequered 2nd hand collection stated to unfold. I'll keep stum for fear of sounding unsympathetic.

CD players, Arcam or otherwise, are not meant to make this noise.
You’ve got 2 options as you seem to like the sound.
1. Keep it and put up with it
2. Send it back. You’ll need to open a case with eBay to get a proper response from the seller

At the moment you seem to be going round in circles a little. I’ve been in your position. I bought a Marantz CD63mkII KI off eBay and, lo and behold, it didn’t work. I approached the seller who blamed couriers, delivery men, me, my children et al. He wouldn’t acknowledge he was at fault and refused a refund. I opened a case with eBay, within 24 hours he had agreed to a refund and paid return postage.

I’d do this and then go and buy a new Marantz ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom