replacing a cd player without a cd player, what is the name of this device?

well when im in my house I never have the need to use earphones. im intrigued on the usb socket..does it play all.kinds of file formats.such as flac, wma, wav, mp3 at variable or 320 bit rate...

i notice the dial next to the earphone socket..which im assuming its the earphone.volume.

i.might about to win another vintage sony and a marantz!.. adding over £240 to £460+ ive already spent!!!

i.might about to win another vintage sony and a marantz!.. adding over £240 to £460+ ive already spent!!!
Hmmm, I don't quite understand this to be honest as I got the impression, initially, that money was tight and a Brennan B2 was not a viable solution but there again, I might have been confused about the subject of this thread.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I don't quite understand this to be honest as I got the impress, initially, that money was tight and a Brennan B2 was not a viable solution but there again, I might have been confused about the subject of this thread.
me too!

Last edited:
You could have bought a brand new Rega Apollo or a very good second hand Cyrus CDi for the amount of money you're wasting on el cheapo CD Players, Both of the above will trounce all the players you've mentioned so far in every way. I would call the Marantz average at best and most definitely overrated, the USB slot on the Marantz is as good as useless in my opinion. But hey! I guess you'll have a lot of fun trying them all out.

Looking at postings history, the OP is quite the enthusiast when it comes to acquiring audio equipment...

i suffer from impulse-buying syndrome and upgradititis.
Re-subscribing to this, I have to say that what you have just said or do, rarely leads to the ultimate enjoyment of one's music collection, always listening out for sound stage, positioning of musical instruments etc. If necessary I can enjoy my Classical music collection on cheap tranny radio etc.
One is never happy with forever upgrading.

Re-subscribing to this, I have to say that what you have just said or do, rarely leads to the ultimate enjoyment of one's music collection, always listening out for sound stage, positioning of musical instruments etc. If necessary I can enjoy my Classical music collection on cheap tranny radio etc.
One is never happy with forever upgrading.
Some CDs can really hit you with their soundstage, doesn't happen often with many modern artists but I have ones going back to the late 80s, early 90s that have superb soundstage and instrumental separation. You can really miss it if a recording is poor.

Some CDs can really hit you with their soundstage, doesn't happen often with many modern artists but I have ones going back to the late 80s, early 90s that have superb soundstage and instrumental separation. You can really miss it if a recording is poor.
Yes I realise that having dumped my tank of a CD player, the Sony 337ESD and replacing it with the CD component of my Denon M 40 micro system. I could have have got a good price had I persevered and tried to sell it rather than giving it away to the British Heart Foundation.
My sound stage is more muddled now due to that an replacing the Mission floor standing speakers with some 'boomy' bookshelf ones.

so i hooked up the arcam cd player (ive been waiting for years and always wanted one) and immediately had an issue.

its buzzing through the rca outputs.i know theres no problem with the rest of the equipment as all the other cd players work fine keeping everything the same, even the same power power.

the coaxial digital out works fine.. really annoying buzzing which disappears after 15-20 minutes or so of turning on..when its working the sound is amazing..the detail and guitar plucking is clearer than the marantz.. playing straight after the marantz i notice the bass is more natural and instruments sound closer to ''the real thing'.nothing exaggerated. its cd tray is not as smooth or as quiet as my vintage sony.. i like the green led..a bit like a mark three vw golf dash..its quite sensitive, it wont play cd's with light finger prints.

i messagedthesellerfor advice and asking about the history but no reply to my two emails (he's much quicker asking for payment)

im.not sure what to do as it was sold as fully working as intended and cost me £205 delivered.

its buzzing through the rca outputs
Might just need new solder as it goes after so long, probably due to the heat expanding the solder making for a better connection. Guaranteed the seller knew of the problem.

Quelle surprise Password 1

If you bought it on ebay then you can get all your money back including delivery and return postage. I can guarantee ebay will come down on your side if he starts messing you about.

i bought it on ebay and paid by paypal.

i think ill wait another day to see if i get response....

im worried the seller is not engaging...if i send it back im worried the seller wont accept or pick it up from a collection point/depot...

any idea how much it might cost if i pay someone

Might just need new solder as it goes after so long, probably due to the heat expanding the solder making for a better connection. Guaranteed the seller knew of the problem.

I seem to remember reading in the Arcam Alpha manual that even when switched off via the front panel button, part of the player remains powered up. I can't remember the details as it was probably around 20 years ago that I read it. If this is the case, is it possible that the seller never experienced the problem and it's only come about since being unplugged from the mains?

its an arcam alpha 9 if it makes any difference....

should i keep it on all the time.. i dont think it has a standby mode.

I seem to remember reading in the Arcam Alpha manual that even when switched off via the front panel button, part of the player remains powered up. I can't remember the details as it was probably around 20 years ago that I read it. If this is the case, is it possible that the seller never experienced the problem and it's only come about since being unplugged from the mains?
If it's only the analogue output that is effected it could be the solder on the RCAs. The overall heat when under full power could give a better connection due to expansion and the fault goes away. May even have been made worse by being in transit. Eventually that solder may fail completely. It could be a very easy DIY fix.

its an arcam alpha 9 if it makes any difference....

should i keep it on all the time.. i dont think it has a standby mode.

Just to be clear this is a buzzing sound and not a crackling/distorted sound? I have many of these players (I love them and yet to find anything to beat it) but one of them occasionally and randomly produces a horrible distorted sound when I try and play a disc.

i bought it on ebay and paid by paypal.

i think ill wait another day to see if i get response....

im worried the seller is not engaging...if i send it back im worried the seller wont accept or pick it up from a collection point/depot...

any idea how much it might cost if i pay someone
Look on the courier sites and get a quote. I would think weight /dimensions come into it. Say £15 to £20?

Just to be clear this is a buzzing sound and not a crackling/distorted sound? I have many of these players (I love them and yet to find anything to beat it) but one of them occasionally and randomly produces a horrible distorted sound when I try and play a disc.
no distortion.

when i have the cd player turned on i get buzzing through the speakers..when i turn the volume up the buzzing is amplified.

i have no buzzing from any of my other cd players

its loudest when the player is.first turned on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom