replacing a cd player without a cd player, what is the name of this device?

What's a CCA?
ChromeCast Audio.. a Wireless dongle thing with an audio output.. either spdif or 3.5 mm headphones jack,which can stream audio via WiFi. Manufacturer was Google, but now no longer made,.. production finished in 2018/9 , although may still be available in shops.
At the price 20 quid its a steal. Normally it plays from websites, but using cheap software it can be part of a home only network. It is the lowest cost good DAC available

i have an old sony cd player which still works perfectly.
Sony would also be a good choice for reliability.

It's highly likely the likes of Marantz and Cambridge Audio don't make their own CD transports and other components, they will be buying them in so these moving parts could be variable in quality. The likes of Sony and Pioneer will make their own parts and therefore have full control over quality.

Does a CCA need internet to work
Yes chromecast needs both wifi and internet.
Still available to buy new for just over 20 quid...Google Chromecast Audio
Not relevant due to lack of wifi.

For some reason I said Technics earlier when I meant Pioneer lol.

I see CD players and lots of other things these days as fancy cases for cheap chinese components. Lots of watches even from old swiss brands like Rotary now come with chinese movements inside. I've got one that sold at release for around £300 that has a $50 chinese movement inside. I don't feel too bad as we only paid about £60 for the watch but it says swiss made but has chinese workings.

So the transport inside your CD player may not match the look and brand on the outside and may not last that long.

It's highly likely the likes of Marantz and Cambridge Audio don't make their own CD transports and other components, they will be buying them in so these moving parts could be variable in quality. The likes of Sony and Pioneer will make their own parts and therefore have full control over quality.

What does a CCA need internet for if streaming music stored on a local network? Does it just refuse to work if it doesn't detect an internet connection?

No.. the CCA does not need internet... See my explanation above.

No.. the CCA does not need internet... See my explanation above.

Thanks for clarifying that. I felt sure that must be the case but a very quick google bought up lots of comments saying it did need internet and I gave up looking at that point.

What does a CCA need internet for if streaming music stored on a local network? Does it just refuse to work if it doesn't detect an internet connection?
The CCA does not need internet. It can work on the WiFi of even a mobile phone..but it does need WiFi. Its design expected it to on the internet..well it is a Google product, but plenty of devices including smart TVs laptops have WiFi and it can wirk with these.

cca no good for me then as im on payg.

i have no smart tv or any smart devices

I think you may have missed the point. It needs wifi but apparently does not need an internet connection for local streaming. Wifi without internet simply means buying a cheap wireless router.

It may not be the route you wish to take but it seems it's still an option if you can't find a cd player you feel confident about buying.

i have no wifi and no broadband...

just an update...im still bidding on some marantz 6006.. also bidding on a dac magic and watching a few other cd players..if i don't win anything ill go ahead to buy a new 6006. thats my plan..

no luck with my wanted advert on this forum so far...

many thanks for everyone's suggestions and links.

i have no wifi and no broadband...

just an update...im still bidding on some marantz 6006.. also bidding on a dac magic and watching a few other cd players..if i don't win anything ill go ahead to buy a new 6006. thats my plan..

no luck with my wanted advert on this forum so far...

many thanks for everyone's suggestions and links.
How are you doing your bidding without Internet? On your PAYG phone I assume?

I have been following this thread going around in circles for some time and my conclusions are
There is nothing more convenient that popping your single CD into a CD player . Or even swooping between any 10 CDs , When it gets to 100 different CDs then it starts getting inconvenient, and when it gets to 1000 very inconvenient. At that stage alternative solutions become or. should become more attractive. Streaming or storing on hard drives for instance.
But there is no way to force or cajole someone from using a familiar method into using another which many of us might find more appropriate.

When it gets to 100 different CDs then it starts getting inconvenient, and when it gets to 1000 very inconvenient.
I can see the point of that comment. Half of my collection was in the bedroom, more or less to make room for blu ray discs, less so now as I've just bought a new storage tower which fits neatly by my armchair. The armchair is within touching distance of the CDP and headphone amp and it's working out really well. I enjoy going through them and blowing the dust off. Can't see me going down the hard drive route any time soon, if ever.

Vinyl must be worse, having to get up to turn the damn thing over or go back to your favourite track. So 20th century.:)

I agree. This is surely about how you want to listen to music. If you’re after a digital jukebox where you can just skip to selected passages and tracks from your library of discs than a 21st century approach may be warranted. I may be 20th century but I choose a disc, put it in the player, press play and listen to it. I don’t have the need or desire to flick through tracks. Once that’s finished, I get up and change the disc. This may take me one minute within a 45 to 60 minute listening period. I can cope with this.
If people need 10000 tracks on a single device because they need instant access to them all, fair enough. I understand the point about storage but, like a vinyl collection, a CD collection is like your biography - your history and your identity. Not to be necessarily shoved away.
There are options for everybody. I say long live the CD player. I say long live the music ;)

I can see the point of that comment. Half of my collection was in the bedroom, more or less to make room for blu ray discs, less so now as I've just bought a new storage tower which fits neatly by my armchair. The armchair is within touching distance of the CDP and headphone amp and it's working out really well. I enjoy going through them and blowing the dust off. Can't see me going down the hard drive route any time soon, if ever.

Vinyl must be worse, having to get up to turn the damn thing over or go back to your favourite track. So 20th century.:)
Well all I can say and being aware of that Brennan B2 for a year or so, buying it and transferring my small collection of 300 CDs to its hard drive, has revolutionised my way of listening.
Before, they were neglected for months/years but now are played most days without sifting through my collection over several shelves. Now, I can wash the car and do other chores whilst listening on high quality Bluetooth headphones.

Last edited:
Well all I can say and being aware of those Brennan B2 for a year or so, buying it and transferring my small collection of 300 CDs to its hard drive, has revolutionised my way of listening. Before, they neglected for months/years but now are placed most days without shifting to the collection on several shelves. I can wash the car and do other chores whilst listening on high quality Bluetooth headphones.
Wash the car. Are you mad. I get my man servant to do that for me.:)

All my 'phones are hard wired, an Oppo PM1 being my favourite. Needs quality feeds and power and I'm a late night listener.

Wash the car. Are you mad. I get my man servant to do that for me.:)

All my 'phones are hard wired, an Oppo PM1 being my favourite. Needs quality feeds and power and I'm a late night listener.
Well. I wash my fleet at night with the floods on!

the latest marantz cd players are fetching decent money.

what are the older cd players like in comparison..the 5004 and 6003

Don’t know if any good to you, but on fbook market place is a Marantz cd and pm 6004 with q acoustics 2000i speakers for £300, hardly been used. Seems like a fair price.

the latest marantz cd players are fetching decent money.

what are the older cd players like in comparison..the 5004 and 6003

A Marantz CD6003 would do a great job. Subsequent players were all tweaked in some way but it’s a very highly regarded player.

looking on ebay used cd6003 are going for a.lot more than the cd5004...

anyone know how the cd5004 compares with 5005/6003/6004 or cambrCamb audio azur 540/640

looking on ebay used cd6003 are going for a.lot more than the cd5004...

anyone know how the cd5004 compares with 5005/6003/6004 or cambrCamb audio azur 540/640
The 6XXX series of players and amps started using the better Cirrus Logic DAC4398 which was deemed a fairly major upgrade. Along with better HDAM circuitry and power stage upgrades. It should make those 6XXX models a better proposition than the previous 5XXX models, although it has to be said that they were not too shabby.

To show how good Marantz feel about the CL 4398 it also adorns the early 8XXX series of players which include SACD.

well the cd6003 is fetching about double the price of the cd5004....if the older cd500x is as good as my Cambridge audio azur 540/640/540v2/640v2 ill definitely consider it...

i cant believe the old cd600x series are selling for £200+

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom