Replacing 10 Year Old LCD TV

SPKNout4CHRIST

Novice Member
As the title says, I’m ready to replace my 10 year old 60” Sharp Aquos LCD TV. My TV is mounted above our fireplace in our living room.

We have a ton of natural light due to large doors with windows and large windows in general. We sit around 10-14 feet from the TV. I am looking to stay around $2500.

It seems I can get a 65” OLED or 75-80” QLED for the price. What’s my best bet? OLED or QLED? Also, specifically which TV do you recommend?

TIA!

Dodgexander

QLED is not a new display technology, but a means to light LCD TVs. So the comparison really is OLED vs LCD, your current TV being an LCD TV won't be far off what you'd expect from a modern LCD TV.

They each have their pros and cons, which you go for depends on so many factors.

Most people who are not wanting to manage light, and who use their TV at times when there is often a lot of light would opt to save money and go for an LCD TV instead.

Which model would be good for you depends a lot on your own preferences, but I'd advise picking up a bargain on 2020 stock right now, rather than over-paying for newly released models. The Vizio P series Quantum X would be a good example. Its priced at $1500 at Amazon right now, and competes with TVs costing a lot more money.

It is however a TV focussed on HDR picture quality, which is the main reason to buy a new TV nowadays. If you are buying a TV for different reasons, for example you will not use HDR material, you could look at spending a lot less instead.

There's no way you need to spend as much as $2500 if you want value to your purchase, spending that much will get you something newer, and more 'premium' but won't get you something with better picture quality.

SPKNout4CHRIST

Novice Member
QLED is not a new display technology, but a means to light LCD TVs. So the comparison really is OLED vs LCD, your current TV being an LCD TV won't be far off what you'd expect from a modern LCD TV.

They each have their pros and cons, which you go for depends on so many factors.

Most people who are not wanting to manage light, and who use their TV at times when there is often a lot of light would opt to save money and go for an LCD TV instead.

Which model would be good for you depends a lot on your own preferences, but I'd advise picking up a bargain on 2020 stock right now, rather than over-paying for newly released models. The Vizio P series Quantum X would be a good example. Its priced at $1500 at Amazon right now, and competes with TVs costing a lot more money.

It is however a TV focussed on HDR picture quality, which is the main reason to buy a new TV nowadays. If you are buying a TV for different reasons, for example you will not use HDR material, you could look at spending a lot less instead.

There's no way you need to spend as much as $2500 if you want value to your purchase, spending that much will get you something newer, and more 'premium' but won't get you something with better picture quality.
Thanks for the great feedback. As I haven’t been in the market for a new TV in 10 years, I have not kept up with the technology as much as I should’ve. I knew OLED was the “best”, but didn’t realize until my recent research that it is dependent on a light controlled room to reap the true benefits, which is something I definitely do not have.

I literally have the sun beaming into the LR and over the TV during winter months for a couple of hours and will cause an IR remote to not respond due to the glare.

We have the space to fit at least a 75”, even up to 85” to fill that space a bit more. I’ll check out the Vizio you mentioned. Any recommendations for a Samsung, Sony, or LG? Or, is the Vizio going to be of equal video quality?

Dodgexander

OLED doesn't sound a good choice for you then, you really have to control the light at times with them. Although its always hard to know how bright your room is...and OLEDs do get a lot brighter than LCD TVs of old.

I'd still suggest an LCD TV. The TVs that compare to the Vizio would be Sony X950H and Samsung Q90T - you pay more for less compromises here and there, but you get worse value for money compared to the Vizio.

TCL also have the 6 series at 75", which is also a decent TV. They are coming out with new ranges of large TVs so it may be an idea to wait a while to buy (especially if you're looking at 2021 instead of 2020 models).

TV pricing is very dynamic, the Vizio QX started life this time last year at 2000, whilst the Sony X950H started at 3000 and is now 2000. Both TVs are available at 85" too if you want that size!

LG make good OLEDs, but not good LCD TVs. They can't compete with the LCD TVs already mentioned above, but they do okay for specific needs for people spending less money. Their OLEDs however are fantastic.

SPKNout4CHRIST

Novice Member
I've edited my post quite a bit, so may want to refresh the page!
Thanks! This all helps narrow down the options which is what I was hoping for!

I’m going to see what Prime Day holds, but it sounds like the recommended TVs are well within our budget, so now to decide how large we want to go and pull the trigger.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and input!

SPKNout4CHRIST

Novice Member
Its a tier down from the others with HDR performance but you may be okay with it if you don't use HDR often.
I’ve found a deal on this Samsung. Pros and cons of this model? Not sure how much HDR content I will be watching. Honestly, we mainly watch YouTube, Disney+, Netflix, and other streaming services.

QN85QN85AAFXZA​

SPKNout4CHRIST

Novice Member
I’ve found a deal on this Samsung. Pros and cons of this model? Not sure how much HDR content I will be watching. Honestly, we mainly watch YouTube, Disney+, Netflix, and other streaming services.

QN85QN85AAFXZA​

Supposedly the 85” version has a VA panel while the smaller ones have an ADS panel, but all reviews seem to focus on the smaller ones with ADS.

Dodgexander

Its a decent TV, doesn't come short with HDR like the Sony X900H and will be more similar to higher end TVs from 2020 like the 2020 Vizio Quantum X, Sony X950H or Samsung Q90T. Its a new model, so you will have to pay a premium for the luxury of buying it so close to release.

It will certainly be better than the smaller TVs using ADS panels.

At 3k at Best Buy I'd take the 2020 Sony X950H instead for 2k or the Vizio QX for 1.5.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom