Replacements for Sennheiser HD595

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
I have been using a pair of Sennheiser HD595 for awhile
Connected to an Astro Mix Amp for late night blu ray viewing

They sound fantastic and bring out huge amount of detail however I have 2 problems

(1) The ear "cups" are uncomfortable, just a tad too small for me and after a couple of flims my left ear feels like been lay on it for ages

(2) Lack bass - noticeable in action movies

Is there anything to replace them with ?
Budget of around £100

davejames

The only ones that spring to mind would be the Beyer DT770's, they may have the extra bass you are looking for, build quality is also a step up from the 595's, but the ear pad size may still be a little on the small side for you, the best for comfort would be the Audio Technica ATH series, they have extremely large ear pads & are super comfy, but if your finding the 595's lack bass then you wouldnt like the ATH's, although it could well be your Astro Mix amp not able to properly drive the 595's or the bluray player not delivering an even frequency response, as ive never heard of anyone saying they were lacking bass.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
can I get alternative "cups" for my current phones ?
The cushions seem to come off easily enough, think if I could get marginally bigger ones things would be fine

davejames

I havent heard of any other ear pads for the 595's, other than the ones made by Senn.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
If I was to increase my budget, say £200 (but thats a definite max) what should I look at buying ?

Have no interest in music at all, phones purely for movie viewing and will be connected via the Astro MixAmp and used for watching blu rays on.

The 595s via the MixAmp give a very good surround sound feeling and are very immersive, with my only really issues being those mentioned earlier

So impressed though via sound from headphones im prepared to spend extra rather than upgrade my whole surround sound system

davejames

Personally I think spending £200 would be a mistake, you see the more expensive headphones are aimed at a different market & usually strive to achieve a more neutral sounding headphone, overall its not going to make a massive difference on just movies, also any of the better headphones will really struggle to sound their best on a Mixamp, so then you have to factor in the cost of a better headphone amp to properly drive the headphones.

It might be your expectations are a little high, after all the 595's dont lack bass at all, but maybe for movies your trying to get that feel that only a subwoofer would provide, If you still think the 595's lack bass, then I still recommend checking out the Beyer DT770 (32ohm) headphones, they arent hugely expensive, are closed back & they are more bassy sounding than the 595's which might just give you that extra thump your looking for on explosions & such, comfort wise they are similar to the 595's though.

The only other option is to pass the whole system through some kind of EQ, giving a boost to the lower end, which would cure your feeling that the 595's lack bass, but of course that wont do anything for the lack of comfort, only buying a pair of ATH-AD700's would cure the comfort side of things as they are VERY light & comfortable on your head as they are huge compared to other headphones, of course they also respond well to a little EQ'ing to bring the bass end up, so that is always an option worth looking at.

davejames

Glad to help out :)

steveledzep

I too use Sennheiser HD595. I have never found them to be lacking in the bass department. I'm mostly listening to vinyl through a Creek Phono amp and a Little Dot IV Valve Headphone Amp. I'm not faniliar with your amplification, but suspect that may be the cause of the lack of bass. I find mine very comfortable, don't know what to suggest there.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Actually had a play around with things and fiddled with blu ray settings and have to say bass now fine

Watched Salt and some good bass notes (certainly better bass than quality of film)
I think its spot on above about bass - I just need to get used to the "feel" of just hearing the bass (my sub is under the bed and produced some great results)

steveledzep

You can't compare bass from headphones with bass from a sub. They probably achieve the same in terms of low frequency reproduction, the difference is, you feel the bass from the sub. Your chair and stomach vibrate with the sub, a little unfair to expect headphones to manage that !!!!

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Yep, just gotta condition myself and my expectations
very immersive and very impressive surround sound so happy
able to watch films at more anti-sociable hours which when you work shifts is often

alasrati

I have both HD595s and D2000s, so perhaps I can help.

The Denons have more of a bass thump/rumble and have more body to the mid-range. The cups are about the same size and I find the 595s to be more comfortable as they are lighter and sit better on my ears. I could wear the 595s forever but the Denons become irritating after 3-4 hours.

I use the Denons for music and films and the HD595s with my PC for gaming.

Sleepy

how would the Denon AH-D2000 compare
I have both, The denons are far better.

Deep bass, very detailed and have a Big sound stage. They also dont leak sound as the 595s do.

Only down side is they are heavy and can hurt your ears if wearing them for a long while.

alasrati

I find that the D2000s actually leak quite a lot of sound for closed headphones. Obviously not as much as the HD595s, but I wouldn't use the D2000s on public transport or a plane as the leakage would irritate fellow passengers.

Sleepy

I find that the D2000s actually leak quite a lot of sound for closed headphones. Obviously not as much as the HD595s, but I wouldn't use the D2000s on public transport or a plane as the leakage would irritate fellow passengers.
mine do leak if played very loud, but normal listening there dead quiet

Vinck

Standard Member
I know there is a German site which do cable and earcup replacements for the 595s. I don't think they are strictly the same, as my friend and I both have a pair and he ordered some and there seems to be some tolerable difference.

I don't know if it's just a slight variance within the manufactoring, but if the comfort issue persists it might be a cheap alternative. I'm afraid I don't have the link anymore, but maybe some googling can find it. You have to ship from Germany though, which adds a few quid.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
I have both HD595s and D2000s, so perhaps I can help.

The Denons have more of a bass thump/rumble and have more body to the mid-range. The cups are about the same size and I find the 595s to be more comfortable as they are lighter and sit better on my ears. I could wear the 595s forever but the Denons become irritating after 3-4 hours.

I use the Denons for music and films and the HD595s with my PC for gaming.
I have both, The denons are far better.

Deep bass, very detailed and have a Big sound stage. They also dont leak sound as the 595s do.

Only down side is they are heavy and can hurt your ears if wearing them for a long while.

Cheers guys, will be for evening / night time movie watching (working shifts sees me watching a blu ray at some very odd times) so would probably be worn for 3 hours max I guess (unless do watch couple films back to back)

Think may make use of the lack of council tax this month and make a purchase

alasrati

The D2000s are much better for films, just take a break to make popcorn/grab a beer every now and again during extended sessions. :D

Member 410254

Nice looking but could not really justify much over £200 on them

Can get the Denons for around £220 from most web sites so will probably get them
Yeah we currently have them at £224.99, they are exceptionally good phones and look good too.

Regards

Last edited:

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett