1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Z1 arrives tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, May 19, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Yep, thats right. A replacement for my Z1 arrives tomorrow. I have not yet clocked thirty hours on the lamp, however, the vertical banding has been doing my head in....:thumbsdow

Whenever I watch a movie its there in front of the picture and the problem is that I can see the bands as a film pans and moves.

So, I called the guys at nexnix who told me that this was odd, but they are more than happy to send out a replacement unit that has been checked for pixels and banding.

So, if this one has the same problem, what do I do?

Do I live with it and try and see through it?

Do I ask for a refund and look at the Panny 300, or does the Panny suffer from VB at all?

This may sound a tad trite after singing the praises of the z1, but I really cannot tolerate watching through the banding.

Anyhow, great service from Nexnix as always.

Regards,

Captain Benefit.

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    well,well,well, mr i have no bands :rolleyes:
    I also have these bands but they are not really bad, their very vaint but like you say you can see it every time the camara pans the screen.
    Have you tryed the VB fix?
    I'm not that bothered by them to be honest, but might try the fix to see if it works :)
    Good luck with the next one mate :)

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    AFAIK all LCD pjs suffer from VBs to a greater or lesser extent. Unfortunately it would appear to be an inherent 'feature' of LCD panels just like rainbows are on DLP pjs with some being better and some worse than others.

My siggestion re your question is don't pre-judge and keep your fingers crossed that the replacement is OK. Especially as those great guys at NexNix are gonna check it for you first.

Great job NexNix :) I wonder how many other suppliers would have offered a replacement so quickly and easily.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Captain Benefit,

Don't freak........ VB is a LCD issue, affecting some more than others, and there can be machines which suffer from it more than others - you could well have been unlucky, (or you could have just obsessed about it).

When you get your new machine, take particular care about you cabling, and if you still have an issue, do a search for the Z1 VB fix via the service menu.

Hope you get a good result,

All the best,

Sean G.

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Sadly, when I first set up the PJ, the vertical bands were far from apparent.

However, last Friday, the machine started playing up and I kept on loosing a picture as the machine kept crashing. So, I called nexnix who advised me to reset the PJ. I think that this may have made the VB a lot worse but cannot be sure:confused:

Also, it seems that the component socket on the rear of the unit is a little iffy, as the picture keeps dropping off but a quick wiggle solves it.

Yes, so far nexnix have been great. However, if push comes to shove will they offer a refund if I were to request it?

Is it right that I have to enter a hidden factory menu and play around with it to make it acceptable for my eye. OK, it only cost £1250.00 put thats a lot of dosh to me. So I say no.

I will let you know.

Captain Benefit.

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cap'n,

This sounds a bit odd..... "reset the PJ" - how ?

That's a reason to swap out the PJ on its own.

Only Nexmix can answer this, but going on the recommendations on the forum here, they're deffo right up there in folks' opinions.

Look, most folk accept that these pjs are not the same as the telly - and welcome their ability to "tweak" them to get the best out of it. (I'd love to be able to get at the proper service menu of the AE100). I agree that the price of these pieces of kit is significant, even taking account of falling prices in recent times.

All the best,

Sean G.

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    VB FIX that is the thread on the AVS forum that tell you what to do :)

HTH

8. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nexnix seem very good to me, can't imagine many retailer would have been that obliging..

Good luck, let hope the replacement is much better..

HEADRAT

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    You can reset the PJ by depressing a counter sunk button at the rear of the unit. You need a pen or something similar to do it though. The odd thing is that although the PJ clearly reset itself in front of me, none of the menus actually changed.
    For instance, I had raised the contrast in cinema mode slightly but this did not reset itself to the 'out of the box' setting.

Last night we sat down to watch Lilo and Stitch and we could not even get a picture. Thankfully my wife witnessed this as I wiggled the sockets on the rear of the PJ. Eventually, the picture appeared but kept turning red !!!!

Ritz, if you refer to my earlier postings regarding the arrival of my Z1 you will note that I was over the moon with it. Sadly since Friday its performance has gone down hill. I dont wanna get a bad rep on this forum as being a fussy bugger but you guys are the only people I can sound off to, as my wife is either

a) not that bothered despite loving the PJ

or

b) not aware of the faults.

I mean shes fab n'all, but sometimes hearing your missus say 'cant you just live with it' can get a little frustrating which is why I got annoyed when I heard that the Z2 was due next month.

I have followed Kramers advice and ordered an Avia disk from Piero on the power buy forum and now realise that the odd tweak here or there could be a blessing.

Finally, I agree that the PJ experience is miles ahead of the TV set. Even with the slightly ropey unit I have it is still amazing. I am certainly staying in the front projection game for the long term.

Thanks for everybodies input :smashin:

Talk soon,

Captain Benefit.

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cap'n,

There's no way anyone could interpret your post as "whining" or what ever. The fact that you need to "wiggle" one of the connections is enough to get it swapped out. See what the replacement is like and come back and tell us, if you have some VB then check your cable runs (try to use the best cabling available to you (i.e. not necessarily expensive "boutique" stuff, but not Maplins Bagain Bin either) and try out the VB tweak (link already posted).

Only you can differentiate between trying to get the best picture quality that the machine will do, and getting "hung up" on every tiny quirk........ Yes, Mrs Ritz has been known to indicate that she'd rather watch the movie than conduct a forensic examination of the picture quality, thank you !!!!! And yes, that's exactly the purpose of this community - to get advice from, and hopefully improve the sum of knowledge by giving feedback and advice when one can.

Fingers crossed !

All the best

Sean G.

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah what he (theritz) said :D

:rotfl:
    Thats a good one & so true:D

Good luck Cap'n, i hope the next one is fine :)

12. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    So you guys know exactly where I am coming from. :clap:

I wish I had that simplistic ideaology when it comes to AV.

No sign of the replacement yet.

Capn B.

13. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    What are they going to do? drop the new one off then take your old one away?
    Did they tell you when you'd have it?

14. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I spoke to Nexnix last night who confirmed that new PJ despatched last night at 4.30 pm, assured next day delivery. Assuming that City Link will deliver about same time as first one which was about 2pm.

Apparently City Link will not do collections on behlaf of Nexnix so I have to send via post office as a recorded type of delivery.