Replacement TV offered by John Lewis.....

stevep94

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just been informed by John Lewis that the screen on my Sony KDL 40V3000 LCD TV is "beyond economic repair" and so they have suggested that a "like-for-like" replacement is the Samsung LE40D580 which is on their site for £439.95.

Now I appreciate that they are providing a replacement within the 5 year warranty (bought my Sony in April 2008) but I'm a bit disappointed that they are only allocating £440.00 as their "contribution" given that I paid £675 for the Sony! (although £675 was the price I got them to price match as the correct retail cost of the 40V3000 with them was a grand!!!)

Has anyone else had any dealings with John Lewis in respect of a replacement set?? They have said I can have a look and go back to them with an alternative but this £440 limit seems to be a bit tight! (plus I'm not a fan of the Samsung models tbh!)

Any advice is appreciated as they have said I can have a look at the Samsung and get back to them!

What was the spec of the Sony? 50hz or 100hz? Full HD?

You can perhaps add money yourself for a better TV and you'll get 5 year cover again

I'm fairly sure the Sony was a 50hz model and while I'm not averse to putting something towards a better set, I'm just disappointed to "only" be getting £440 towards a new one when the JL price for my Sony was £999! (albeit they price matched for me at £675 but thats not my fault!)

Ever since the set went in for them to look at I've been looking at the possible replacements and have had my eye on the Panasonic Viera TX-P42GT30 Plasma 3D TV but I appreciate that at £900 I was always going to have to put something towards it so I've lowered my sights to the Panasonic Viera TX-P42ST30 Plasma HD 1080p 3D TV at £550!

Other than the USB recording (no use to me) and the DNLA support (again, no use as I use my WDTV and PS3 for media streaming) of the GT model, is there much between these two sets performance-wise?

I might go back to JL and argue that I am effectively dropping from a £1000 TV to a £440 TV in just over 3 years which seems a bit unfair and see if they will bump up their offer a bit to cover the ST model above!

Any thoughts on what I can expect from JL guys???

Last edited:
You can perhaps add money yourself for a better TV and you'll get 5 year cover again

Am I right in thinking that if I contribute any amount of money I get another new 5-year guarantee but if I just accept a direct replacement, I will just get the balance of the original 5 years??

I might go back to JL and argue that I am effectively dropping from a £1000 TV to a £440 TV in just over 3 years which seems a bit unfair and see if they will bump up their offer a bit to cover the ST model above!

Any thoughts on what I can expect from JL guys???

The problem is, that you are not dropping from a £1000 TV to a £440, You only paid the going price at the time which by your own admission was £675, JL are within their rights to reduce the amount offered as you have had some 'fair use' of the TV. At around £80 per year of use, thats really not too bad.

Am I right in thinking that if I contribute any amount of money I get another new 5-year guarantee but if I just accept a direct replacement, I will just get the balance of the original 5 years??

Thats usually the way it works

I think so if you pay more for a different TV but you ned to ask them :D

Inked said:
The problem is, that you are not dropping from a £1000 TV to a £440, You only paid the going price at the time which by your own admission was £675, JL are within their rights to reduce the amount offered as you have had some 'fair use' of the TV. At around £80 per year of use, thats really not too bad.

Thats usually the way it works

I appreciate that £999 was over the odds but it was still JL's price, which is what I am having to accept in the replacement's price as I can't shop around!
It's not my fault that a) the tv developed a fault, b) they don't make the set anymore and c) JL give a 5 year guarantee!

I'm gutted that the TV developed the fault and would be disappointed in any TV if it went pear shaped after just 3 years!!

stevep94 said:
I appreciate that £999 was over the odds but it was still JL's price, which is what I am having to accept in the replacement's price as I can't shop around!
It's not my fault that a) the tv developed a fault, b) they don't make the set anymore and c) JL give a 5 year guarantee!

I'm gutted that the TV developed the fault and would be disappointed in any TV if it went pear shaped after just 3 years!!

But that's just it, while £999 may have been the original ticket price, the agreed purchase price is the only thing that matters. Get them to agree to give you £440 credit towards a replacement and then put in another price match against the new tv that you want

I think JL take depreciation into account, TVs have got cheaper in the last few years, they are presumably offering an equivalent of not better spec regardless of the £££ value...hence me asking you before :) You can always go down the SOGA route with Sony but hassle and potential cost of claim

Dammit!! Why cant you people just tell me what I want to hear and say I'm entitled to the full grand to spend as I wish!!!!! ;)

OK, reality has set in :( and while I'm still gonna argue the toss with JL over the £440 to see if I can get it upped a bit, I need to decide what is the best TV available from JL in the £550 bracket! (I'd definitely be prepared to contribute towards it if it means another 5 year guarantee!)

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I'm quite taken with the 42" Panasonic ST30 model at £549 - are there any other 40"-42" models I should be considering at this sort of price point??

Is the GT30 really worth £350 more than the ST30!?!?!?

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!!!

Note the ST30 is a PMatch at the moment...price could go back up...or stock run out

There are reviews of the GT30 and ST30 in the review section

I am not sure it is that much better. What do you use the TV for?

Think about the spec of a grand TV versus a grand TV 3 years ago, apples and pears...

What features does the D3000 have? Is it full HD?

Just be glad you didn't get it from Currys, you be getting nowt ;)

Last edited:
Note the ST30 is a PMatch at the moment...price could go back up...or stock run out

There are reviews of the GT30 and ST30 in the review section

I am not sure it is that much better. What do you use the TV for?

Think about the spec of a grand TV versus a grand TV 3 years ago, apples and pears...

What features does the D3000 have? Is it full HD?

Just be glad you didn't get it from Currys, you be getting nowt ;)

Yeah, I know I was being unreasonable!!!! :p

And I use it for PS3 gaming, Sky HD and SD and DVD/Blu Rays - not too fussed about 3D but if I can get it for the same price I thought I might as well!

By "D3000" what do you mean? Are you suggesting another set or asking about my V3000?

Yeah sorry the V...the D was an earlier generation

Yeah, my V3000 was full HD but was only ever 50hz which I was always concious of because I watch a lot of sport!

Overall it was great set let down by some vertical "shadows" on the screen in recent months!

I've had a look on the JL site and in the "upto £559" and "40 to 42" bracket I have 8 to choose from - 4 Samsung, 3 Panasonic and 1 Toshiba!

Has anyone got any thoughts on any of the others than the Panny P42ST30 that I'm leaning towards??

What are the others?

Links...

So they have offered you a higher spec as the D580 has HD freeview, also full HD & 50hz...so like for like...

What are the others?

Links...

So they have offered you a higher spec as the D580 has HD freeview, also full HD & 50hz...so like for like...

This is the link for the TV's in my price range and a screen size of 40" to 45" (cant fit any bigger than 42" tho!)

I dont doubt the Samsung is pretty much like for like spec-wise but technology has moved on a lot in the last 3 years and I'd be daft to not want to get some sort of upgrade out of it! - The Sammy is not a higher spec for me tho - I've no interest in Freeview HD as I dont even have an aerial and the V3000 was full HD with a 50hz panel!

Besides, I've never really liked the Samsung "look" and always preferred Sony or Panasonic - the annoying thing is that the cheapest 40" Sony is £699 so if I was a "Sony Snob" I'd be completely out of luck!

I think I'll give JL another call and see if there is any leeway on the £430 to try and get closer to the £550 that the P42ST30 costs at the moment! (and hopefully it wont go up or out of stock in the meantime!!)

Unless anyone has any other suggestions that I should be looking at??

Last edited:
There is a Sony cashback offer don't forget

Sony have lots of gaming lag, if gaming is key, go for the plasma option as less lag, the ST30 is definitely good here ;)

ST30 would be my choice, but it's not a beautiful TV

Not got time to look at links, sorry, there are LED-LCD panasonics which are decent but £££

Thanks for all of the advice guys!

I've spoken to JL again and explained that I'm not a fan of the Samsung and that I would be prepared to put some money towards the ST model Panasonic but £110 was a bit much! The girl I spoke to said she would refer back to the "BER" team as she didn't have the authority to amend the contribution and they would see what they could do!

With any luck I'll get a call tomorrow saying I can put a nominal sum towards it so I get a new 5 year guarantee! :)

Last edited:
You can always go down the SOGA route with Sony but hassle and potential cost of claim
Nah, you can only go down the SOGA route with JL, not Sony :) JL's offer is probably more than a SOGA claim would get.

JL will offer you a cash value to use against another TV if you push, but it's usually less than the credit they would give you against another TV. They may also offer you a chance to have a new 5 year warranty for a certain amount.

I had a 4 year-old TV which I paid £1300 for, and their initial offer was a £550 TV or £420 credit. With much (polite and friendly!) grumbling I eventually got them up to £820 credit and got a new TV with a new 5-year warranty.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I had a 4 year-old TV which I paid £1300 for, and their initial offer was a £550 TV or £420 credit. With much (polite and friendly!) grumbling I eventually got them up to £820 credit and got a new TV with a new 5-year warranty.

WOW!!! :eek: Thats quite an improvement on £420!!

Anyway, managed to get a decent result this morning!! :smashin:

Phoned through and spoke to someone at JL and argued that I wasnt a fan of the Samsung they offered and that the £440 was a bit poor given that the cheapest 40" Sony they sell is £700 on the website! (which is the closest that I would consider to be "like-for-like")

The lady went away to speak to the "BER" team and came back saying they had agreed to up the offer to cover the entire cost of the 42" Panasonic ST30 at £550 that I had my eye on. I then asked about the warranty and suggested could I pay a nominal sum to get the full 5 year warranty as opposed to the balance of the original warranty plus 6 months!
She went away again and came back with a figure of £22 so I accepted that!

£22 for a brand new TV with a new 5 year guarantee! Result!!!! :smashin:

Lucky guy just made my mind up for me I need to read up on JL pricematch policy and get my boxing day tv from there!

Note, I don't think JL ever open their stores on Boxing Day, not sure about the online sale...

Well done to the OP for getting a good result (even if it wasn't a grand's worth at current prices ;) )

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom