Quantcast

Answered Replacement suggestions for Onkyo TX-SR875

dscott21

Novice Member
Hi folks,

I've had an Onkyo TX-SR875 since it was first launched and is pretty much ready for replacing, the front panel led display no longer works, one of the HDMI In's on the back no longer works, so I think it's time to say good bye!

I've been out of the AV loop for a while and wondered if someone could suggest an alternative for me?

I won't be replacing my speakers which are the original KEF KHT 3005SE, it doesn't need to have WiFi, it doesn't need to have Dolby Atmos, but I would like it to support the 4k formats for when I make the move further down the line and does need to have a family friendly remote that the whole family can use and can be programmed to control other devices.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Dave

andym81

Hi folks,

I've had an Onkyo TX-SR875 since it was first launched and is pretty much ready for replacing, the front panel led display no longer works, one of the HDMI In's on the back no longer works, so I think it's time to say good bye!

I've been out of the AV loop for a while and wondered if someone could suggest an alternative for me?

I won't be replacing my speakers which are the original KEF KHT 3005SE, it doesn't need to have WiFi, it doesn't need to have Dolby Atmos, but I would like it to support the 4k formats for when I make the move further down the line and does need to have a family friendly remote that the whole family can use and can be programmed to control other devices.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Dave
What's your budget?

cheechy

Picking up on this old thread as I've got the same receiver and sounds like a relay has gone in the left channel - and the amp probably isn't economical to repair.

Its not my main receiver but I'm looking to replace this with something just as powerful and I dont mind dipping into the 2nd hand market.

The 875 new was a 1k receiver 10 years ago so guessing equivalent output would cost at least 1.5k+ for a new replacement

I do quite like the brash up front sound so would be looking for something similar...

Thoughts / suggestions?

gibbsy

Exactly the same situation here. Need to know what you guys think the modern day equivalent is. Needs to be 4K compatible.
Budget? What speakers will the new receiver be driving?

cheechy

I ended up with a denon 3500h for info and fairly pleased. It doesnt have the overall grunt of the onkuo but it's not a million miles away...however all the modern features I didnt realise I needed more than made up for it...

Budget? What speakers will the new receiver be driving?
Speakers: KEF R700 left and right front. Kef R200C centre. B&W AS2 sub. B&W M1's rear.

I'm open to suggestion to be honest. Like everyone else I want as much as I can get for as little money as can be spent. I'm always ok with buying nicely looked after second hand equipment too. I have seen a few people who seem to be fairly clued up saying that you just don't get the same quality these days for the £, this being related to licences and loads more features that need to be packed into a slim margin item. Your guidance will be muchly appreciated.

gibbsy

The KEF R Series are power hungry speakers, they dip to 3.2 ohms which needs a good sustained power supply. Unfortunately cheap and slim isn't going to cut it. Personally I would look at a one box solution with one of the Denon X6XXX models, I have the X6200 with R Series all round with the fronts being driven by a HT capable stereo amp.

You could look at a cheaper Denon from the X3XXX range, under X3600 have only seven channels but all have pre-outs and so you could use a power amp for the front three.

There is a Denon X7200 in the classifieds which would partner well without the need for external amplification that may be worth you looking at.

Just a thought that I am happy to be guided on. There is nothing wrong with my Onkyo, pretty much the only reason I was thinking about an upgrade is that I have run out of HDMI ports. I know there are 'splitters' available for this issue. Firstly are there any issues (quality of picture or sound) by using one of these? Any recommendations of any particular ones to use? Am I missing anything here? I'm no expert and way behind the times but I don't feel like I need loads of the perhaps newer features that might be being offered on new units. I just need the unit to power 5 surround speakers and supply to the sub. The R700's are powered by a Roksan caspian M2 that is connected to the Onkyo too. Your guidance will be muchly appreciated.

Captain Ron

I had an 875 also and upgraded to an Onkyo TX-RZ3100. I was thinking I was going to get the same performance but with the addition of Atmos / DTS:X. It was a bad move. The class D amplification in the RZ3100 not a patch on the Class A/B amplification in the old 875 from a power and musicality point of view. I switched to a Denon AVR8500H when they took a promotional dip in price at the end of last year and that did the trick. Smooth, creamy and powerful with proper musicality and presence even at lower volumes just like the old 875.

I had an 875 also and upgraded to an Onkyo TX-RZ3100. I was thinking I was going to get the same performance but with the addition of Atmos / DTS:X. It was a bad move. The class D amplification in the RZ3100 not a patch on the Class A/B amplification in the old 875 from a power and musicality point of view. I switched to a Denon AVR8500H when they took a promotional dip in price at the end of last year and that did the trick. Smooth, creamy and powerful with proper musicality and presence even at lower volumes just like the old 875.
Many thanks Captain Ron for your input, you have kind of proved part of my fear from what you went through. I'm glad you found a solution (although it sounds like a very expensive one).

Captain Ron

Many thanks Captain Ron for your input, you have kind of proved part of my fear from what you went through. I'm glad you found a solution (although it sounds like a very expensive one).
I got lucky with the timing of a decently tidy redundancy combined with a very understanding Mrs. :)

Trending threads

Top Bottom