Replacement Sub needed on a budget

shaggy71

Since my cat chewed through the QED micro phono lead linking my Amp to my KK DXD808 it has made barking sound when playing very low bass. I can watch whole films and not have it happen but watch something like the Atmos thunder and rain demo or play bassomatics Bass I love you then it is very noticable.

I recently Spent a big chunk of my savings on a new TV an Anthem MRX720 and a Pair of XTZ S2 Atmos speakers so money is getting a bit tight so Im looking to spend around £500 on a new Sub.

Current candidates are the following.

BK XXLS400
XTZ 10.17
SVS PB-1000

I need the Sub to be good with music aswell as movies and not too large as Im limited to 40cm Max width with placement options limited. Room is 3.4m X 3.4m Roughly so I dont need overkill just fast detailed bass over massive depth.

So Im after opinions on these subs or others that fit the bill that the nice people on this forum have experience with.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MemX

Um... have you replaced the chewed-through lead?

If not, this has to be one of the weakest excuses ever to go shopping for Man Toys ;) :laugh:

Either way, 'massive depth' is all relative! For me, I'd go with sealed for 'tight' bass. Stereo Integrity HT18s are coming out for sale again shortly, so you could always DIY or get Gordy to build a box for about £70 with one of those drivers for around £160 and a plate amp from BK for about £340... ;)

shaggy71

:rotfl: Yep replaced the lead as soon as I discovered it. It made no diference so replaced the MRX 300 with the 720 as I wanted Atmos and ruled out the Amp being faulty was a bonus.

Not really intrested in the DIY route as I like to relax and unwind when Im Home after work and Im having to work overtime now to replce my savings after this splurge.

MemX

You can sketch a box up with dimensions and send it to gordy, he builds it and send it through the post, you then attach the leads between the driver and the box wall, screw the driver in, connect the amp, job done ;) (or near enough!)

shaggy71

You can sketch a box up with dimensions and send it to gordy, he builds it and send it through the post, you then attach the leads between the driver and the box wall, screw the driver in, connect the amp, job done ;) (or near enough!)
If I had a big enough room to house a 15" monster Sub then the DIY route has merit but due to only having room for 10-12" in a smaller than optimum box the Subs listed in my post are Ideal.

My Listening room unfortunatly includes a boundery wall shared with the neighbor who has a young child so earth quake levels just isnt practicle. So Fast detailed bass is what I need in a Smallish form factor.

shaggy71

Ok after a conversation via PM with Gasp3621 who provided me with links to user threads and reviews comparing the different subs plus pointing out users like me in small rooms get better results with unported subs I have just ordered a BK XXLS400-DF B-grade for £389 as by all acounts its good with movies but does not quite reach the depths of the others but is better than the others at music.

A big thanks goes to Gasp3621 for taking the time to offer me the advice and find the posts you linked to me.

Last edited:

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Ok after a conversation via PM with Gasp3621 who provided me with links to user threads and reviews comparing the different subs plus pointing out users like me in small rooms get better results with unported subs I have just ordered a BK XXLS400-DF B-grade for £389 as by all acounts its good with movies but does not quite reach the depths of the others but is better than the others at music.

A big thanks goes to Gasp3621 for taking the time to offer me the advice and find the posts you linked to me.
I have a 400 now and in a living room its hard to beat for the price, so good choice.