• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Replacement Sub advice please

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Currently my system is as per my sig, but i hope to upgrade the whole speaker package at some point in the near future.

Ideally was looking at PMC 5 speaker set up (other quality speakers considered), but keeping my existing Ruark Vita 200 Sub as it's not a bad little sub really. However, it has developed a bit of a hum every now and then so am considering sending it off for a service with BK Electronics who are the original manufacturer of this sub. Having spoken to Tom at BK, he has advised that a simple capacitor change and service will more than likely sort it and isn't too expensive :thumbsup:

My question is, should i really be looking at replacing this sub for something a little better and more in keeping with my proposed future purchase ?

If i do decide to change the sub too, i want something equally good with music and movies, size isn't a massive issue as have plenty of space behind the sofa or various other locations. However, if out on full view would need to look good too, have been separated just over a year now, so no wife to keep happy :laugh:

Hapy to consider a good quality second hand sub, but how high would i need to go to better the Ruark ?

Frank

sergiup

Distinguished Member
I think it's all down to balance to be honest; you say that you're thinking of a PMC setup as an upgrade - which speakers / price range, and do you have any ideas for budget for a potential new sub? Based on that, we may get a better idea of what sub would suit.

I believe the Ruark Vita 200 was manufactured by BK, but I can't really find ANY information about it anymore...

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your reply, well i am keen to extract more from my Arcam AVR 400 and they are a good match for the PMC range of speakers. I was looking at the Twenty Series 24's and matching centre, possibly 23's for surround duties, but as an interim measure still using my Vita 100's as rears. However today i have been considering Pb1i, Ob1i, or even the Fact 8 as Fronts, with matching centre.

Yes the Ruark Vita 200 was manufactured for Ruark by BK, as confirmed by Ruark themselves when i enquired about servicing. Details and specifications are almost impossible to find now since Ruark rebranded as Ruark audio.

Frank

sergiup

Distinguished Member
What I will say straight away is that once you start going for the PMC Twenty.24 or even OB1i/PB1i, you may well find that a better amp gets even more out of them - as always with this stuff it's a slippery (yet so pleasant) slope! However I think that jumping a fair bit when upgrading speakers is the absolute best thing to do: I would somewhat discourage anyone from going from a £500 5-speaker set to a £500 set of floorstanders, instead a bigger jump to £1k+ if possible will bring so much more in my opinion.. but then again I'm a little obsessed.

Anyway, in order to live up to either of those PMC series you would probably want a better sub but it really wouldn't be an immediate upgrade which needs to be done, more something which you can improve upon in the future - something like a KK DXD808 or DXD12012 for example.

Anyway, you probably wanted a shorter answer: my personal opinion would be to fix the sub if it won't be expensive to do so while keeping in mind that you may well replace it later on to better live up to your potential speaker replacements. You say you like it at the moment so it'd be a shame to just get rid of it for an apparently small fault.

stratosboy

I'm really happy with my curret set-up which uses Arcam, PMC Fact 8's and a REL Serie R528 sub. Bass is sick! - go have an audition...let us know what you go for and how it sounds

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom