1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement speakers...?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sounddog, May 29, 2003.

1. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Okay ... the time has come (the walrus said) to talk of many thing ... specifically the possibility of replacing / upgrading our main speakers.

We currently have a pair of B&W 602s2 speakers for front left and right, and while we still feel they are good ... we also feel that we can get better out of our electronics ... especially with music. Our electronics (for anyone who doesn't know) are ... well see our sig ... with CD's played though Rotel's DAC. We also have a REL Q100E sub.

Our initial thoughts have turned to getting a pair of B&W CDM1NT to replace the front pair ... but obviously there are others to consider ... but what? Our room is about 5m x 5.5m and ideally the speakers need to be positioned with about 1m behind but close to the side wall. So the questions are ... will CDM1NT still be selling the electronics short, and what other speakers are worth considering for similar money. This questioning is intentionally open ended. Note that while sound quality is obviously the most important aspect ... we also want them to look attractive either with or without grills.

Vikki

2. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vikki,
    What is your budget? Would you consider 2nd hand?
    Standmount or Floorstanders.

I have reasently heard some very good standmounts, I'll get back if you let know a little more detail.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You didn't say prices... so

M&K 150THX
    Ruark Prelude/Prologue
    JMlabs Cobalt/Electra range

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Kef Ref 1.2's @ 600.00?

Not at all bad if you can tear yourself away from BW.

Kef Ref 2.2's @ 999.99

Very good indeed and will "suck" all all your 991 has to offer.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I said ... and what other speakers are worth considering for similar money

So around £750 or so ... but we've not got any money yet so there's not really a budget set yet ...

Have considered M&K ... but to be honest they don't go with the decor at all!! Ditto JMLabs ... also interested in how people think they sound compared with CDM1NTs ... please comments based on comparitive listening not based on hearsay ... whats good about them and what do you feel is lacking in them?

Vikki

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Nathan: Vikki said cdm1 nt's which are £750 so around there.

Mark: Second hand is a big consideration. I've seen Faiz has the cdm1 nts + stands which is nice. We are edging towards stand mounts, nice clear sound, and the Rel Q100e can do low if that is needed.

Steve: Maybe, it's really funny cos we have some very pro Kef family members which slighty sort of edge me away from kef but of course to be honest it's the sound that matters not what the little badge on the speakers shows.

Steff

[EDIT Arrgh ok vikki said re prices herself!!]

7. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Steff.

I am to be honest unsure how best to respond to that.

If you think that a pair of 2.2's are/were bought on the badge alone then there is little more i can add here.

I would say that if you were able to obtain a pair (advertised at Hyperfi) for 999.99 there is NOTHING out here to compare at this price (IMHO of course).
    these are serious HiFi speakers, that shoot (again IMHO) much higher than the equivalent cdm range.

the fact that they are Kef is neither here or there, unfortunately you are not in the Wilson range, i would stand the 2.2's against any sub 1000.00 speaker i can think of.

Steve.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Steve: Err I dont know what you read I wrote that my saying i'm a bit put off Kef (by having someone ram them down my throat the way some on here says vikki rams b&w down their throats), but that is irrelevent and it's the sound of the speaker that is important not whoever makes it.

PS I am sorry but lets be honest here there are a quite a few people on this forum and other forums that would only buy x make of x device and not y make. I just made a comment that I would prefer non Kefs but if they are the best we can get for the price (if we can afford any that is) then they are what we would go for.

For example how many people buy Daewoo cars compared to say a vauxhall or ford when it might turn out the Daewoo is the better option.

This is not intended as an argument just my point of view. I just need a bit more convincing about the merits of Kef then I would say the merits of B&W. This comes from what I have heard of both.

Cheers

Steff

Edit oh by the way as Vikki said this is just idle speculation. We cannot even decide if it's speaker or cd player or DAC ... etc ... that would come next if anything on the upgrade trail.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve.. please be quiet.....you're tempting me with upgrading my Q75's to the Kef 2.2's!!!

Vikki you could at least demo the same speakers I've got (Hi-Fi) Ruark Etudes at £650. Very nice sound. Can't say how they compare against the CDM, but you know what my comments are reg. the 6xx range! :)

10. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,129
    Listened for extended periods to M&K vs CDM1NT's. My choice in the end was the M&K's which seemed to give a more detailed performance. The B&W's had a warmer sound to the M&K, but lacked the nuetralness.

You can now have the M&K range in any finish you may desire. www.mksound.com

[​IMG]

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I know I said stand mounts hehe. But what about ...

KEF Concerto 1 Floorstander Black

Oldish and discontinued but can get an ex-demo pair for £300

Cheers

Steff

12. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi sounddog

Been looking for new speakers for a while to replace my 603 S2's, the 3 I shortlisted were CDM9NT, Dynaudio 1.8MKII(now discontinued) and Monitor Audio Gold Ref 20's. I have had several dems using same source components in 2 different rooms to get down to these 3.

In the end I went for the MA GR20's. My priorities were for a smoother treble than the 603's and faster but still deep bass. Last time I looked the 1.8's were going for about £850 used and the MA's about £900.

If I was keeping the 603's for sides/rears and LCR6 as centre I would have gone for the CDM9's to keep the family sound. However I wanted to try wall mounts so have decided to go all MA and get a GRC centre, GRfx sides and SFx for rears.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/
    http://www.dynaudiousa.com/

The MA and Dyn's are worth a listen IMHO, but if you are just changing the fronts and you like the Rotel/B & W sound combination then the CDM1NT are the logical choice.

ATB

Gus

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Thanks GUS,

That Gives us a few more things to think about.

Steff

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Has anyone experienced the New Quad 12L (slightly bigger bro to the 11L)?

15. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Then do yourself a favour and go listern to the kef reference 203, IMO there is no speaker that comes close to the quality of these untill you hit a price braket far greater then the one they are in. Give the 201 a try for the bookshelf equivilent. I know they are well out of the price range your looking for, but i think it will change your opinion on the quality of kef for ever.

16. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Ex-Dem Ruark Prelude 2
    Ex-Dem Ruarl Prologue 2

Stump up a bit more cash - second hand Naim SBL's (those who like these swear by them)

If i may be so bold as too say that at your <1000.00 price point i would definately look to ex-dem/previous generaion ranges for bargains/two steps up the performance ladder rather than going one range up from existing.
    I do realise your affection for the BW sound and my "tastes" are perhaps for a more "explicit"(?) presentation that i KNOW some do find "uncomfortable", there are however several good deals around at the moment that may well offer you the sort of jump in musical abilities that you are seeking.
    Badges AND aesthetics are NOTHING to me either, it either sounds right (to me) or wrong and precious litttle else comes into the equation.

Steve

17. IvorBigun

IvorBigun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was listening to a dem yesterday of some Naim AV kit, being played through 5 channel ATC speaker set up.
    I thought it sounded pretty awesome. Maybe not the most attractive speakers to look at , but none the less, worthy of consideration.

18. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Compared to 602s the CDM1NTs are very bass light, IMO, and I found the centre a bit harsh sounding but I dont know how run in it was. Im not saying they are bad because they did have a lot more detail but they are a completely different animal. I have to make the same decision as you, im going from 602 s2s to something better with my rotels. At the minute im going for Dynaudio, Audience 52s and the big (60cm wide) centre. They swung me on the rotels in the first place.

19. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    When I was upgrading my 602's some weeks back I auditioned a lot of speakers of a similar budget (Proac, Dynaudio, Quad and the CD1iNT's). The ones I was most taken by were the Linn Katans for both the looks and sound they gave. I was put of by the large centre the CDM's have but was impressed by the sound the B&W's gave. I found the Linn's to be a bit more relaxed and the treble wasn't as bright (or some might say harsh) as the cdm1t's but were as detailed and seemed to deliver tight but firm bass. I did in the end take a slightly larger leap to the Ninka Floor standers (Slightly over £1000) and I'm glad I did. They also offer the upgrade path of going active if you choose to do so at a later date.
    I'd definately recommend you check out the Linn's when you audition for your upgrade I think you'll be impressed with the sound these little speakers produce. (the katans).

20. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Another related question ... how well does the LCR60 centre go with the CDM1NTs (sound wise)?

21. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vikki try demoing the Kef RDM range... if the sound is anything like my Kef 200 centre I think you'll be impressed.

22. faiz

faiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CDM's do have a fairly bright sound, but i wouldn't say they were harsh. The only reason i'm selling mine is that i find the Linn Ninkas slightly more relaxed when listening to music. They're ideal for AV though IMO. The CDMs are a touch bass light, but you won't have any problems in that respect given that you have a sub. The dedicated stands do help. The CDMs also look the biz as well. I used to own the 603's before the CDMs - the CDMs are for more detailed, whilst the 603s had a woolly bass in comparison.

23. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These speakers are tempting me even as they seem to be geting great reviews from the press. Everything about the Quads are made inhouse so they're suppose to be exceptionally good value for money. Although my eye is on the floorstander versions 21L and 22L.

24. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RDM range are/were studio monitor/reference series.
    Discontinued but awesome IMHO.
    Looking at getting a pair of RDM 3's.
    Not very popular due to lack of marketing but great sound.
    I demod up against ref 1~2 and it was a no brainer.
    :smashin:

25. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wookie- I'm thinking about replace my Kef Q75's with either RDM 2 or 3's, or Kef Reference 2.2. My centre is the Kef Model Reference 200. Poweramps are Audiolab 8000PX (100Wx2)

What would say I should go for- RDM Three or Kef Ref. Model 2.2?

Cheers

26. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having listened to both, I am going for the RDM Three's.
    Bass is sooo much more acurate and solid.
    Mid range is a clean as a wistle.
    I like the coupled cavity but find it a bit laid back and too warm.
    The RDM 3 punch out solid, tight clean bass.
    I am into House, Rock and just about any type of music and these studio monitor type floorstanders fit the bill nicely.
    Can't risk telling anyone where I am buying them from as they might be snapped up before I can get the reddies together. :D
    Same UniQ as other previous reference series & 100 200c etc.

27. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wookie, can you tell me how much you've seen the RDM three's for?

And if possible where you're getting them? PM me.

I can't afford to buy them now anyway, just bought the MC-1 and owe a mate money anyway.

28. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found the RDM3's for 1k.
    Thats about £500 off list!:D
    They are RED.

29. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I would recomend that you try the LRC60 and the CDMCNT with the 1NT's at the audition. I think you'll find as I did that although the LRC60 is a great little (in comparison to the CDMCNT) performer I think the CNT out classes it in every way - Detail , positioning etc. It's just a shame it's so large and would've dominated too much sat on top of my TV.
    The Trikan is an excellent match to the Katan and Ninka should you decide that you'll give the Linn's a go.

30. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    What about Castle Howards?

Has anyone listened to them if so what are you opinions on them?

Not what about THE Castle Howard :)

Steff