1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement speakers - Tannoy

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mca, Dec 3, 2003.

1. mca

mca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Ok, this post might go on for a bit but here goes...

Basic set-up at the moment is Tannoy 605's as the front pair along with a Tannoy Mercury MC for the center and M2's for the rears. All driven by a Sony 940 receiver amp.

The tweeter on one of the 605's has blown and to replace that it's £50+VAT+del so I was thinking of getting some replacements and now I've got the upgrade bug :D

Just to give details of the room everything is in - 17' by 10' (is ' the right symbol for feet?), due the position of the doors and window everything runs across the narrower width i.e. the sofa & projector are are up against one wall with the TV/projector screen 10' away on the other.

The 605's are on stands and are approx 60cm from the TV and have never appeared to affect it - they're not shielded. The rear of them is approx 35cm from the wall.

I've been looking at either the Revolution R3's or the MX4's to replace the 605's but also wondered about changing the MC for an RC if I go for the R3's.

And now the questions...

- Would the R3's be too much for the room?
    - Is it worth upgrading to an RC to go with the R3's?
    - Would the R3's interfere with the TV since they too are unshielded and would be in almost the same position as the current 605's?
    - Would the Revolutions way outclass the amp?
    - Should I just go for the MX4's which would effectively be half the price of the upgrade to the Revolutions & be shielded?

Hope that's covered things and that you guys can help :confused:

2. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a Tannoy Revolution user (and therefore probably biased), here are my opinions:

Although my bedroom is a bit bigger than that I'd still say the Tannoy's would be fine in the room.

First of all: take the R3s over the MX4s. I've heard both and the R3s are very refined, very nice indeed. Secondly the MC is a very good centre speaker for the money but most people would probably say you should always try to match your centre to your mains for a seamless transition across the soundstage (or something like that). I have had both centres (well, the MXC and RC) and the RC just seemed to have...I dunno, more authority. It felt bigger. Just better I guess :)

I doubt it. I've had one of my R3s approx 70cm away from the edge of my computer monitor and it doesn't affect it at all.

This would be my biggest concern. Personally I'm using my R3s with a Denon 3802 but I don't know where your amp lies in terms of performance. I'm guessing that unless it's one of the higher end Sonys then it may well be slightly lacking. In my experience R3s power - there's a lot of control, detail and finesse about them when you've got a nice amp pushing them. On my old receiver they sounded sloppier and just slightly more fuzzy. Just not quite the clarity that they have now.

No ;)

Well that's just my opinions. I could well be talking bullsh*t but like I say, it's just what I've noticed. Could all be in my head but it makes sense to me. Hope it helps.

3. mca

mca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks BenPremium. I think that perhaps for now upgrading to the Revolutions would be in order with an upgrade of the amp at a later date.

Any more opinions out there as the more the merrier?

A quick search reveals that several others on the forums have Revolutions but perhaps they're not in this forums today :(

4. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have an M3 with a blown woofer - who can repair it? Do Tannoy handle this themselves?

The R3's are very nice, and when my M3 blew, I also considered the MX3 / MX4 range, but decided on the R3's instead - top speakers and no regrets!

Also interested in replacing my MXC with the RC as well :)

5. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you go to www.tannoy.com there's a contact e-mail which you can use to enquire about spares.

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    MCA give me a heads up if you want to sell your blown 605's. I blew the bass cones on mine and had to turn them into 'hybrid speakers', Tannoy cones were just too much money. The tweeters have been replaced twice (when I had money).:eek:

Regards, Mylo:smoke:

7. mca

mca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Well, I went for the R3's and the RC from Peter Tyson for a shade over £400 inc. next day delivery. They're all in black which goes better in the room and handily was cheaper than the cherry finish ones. Just giving them a warm up as I type but will need more time. So far I'm more than happy :D

mylo - not sure what I'm going to do with the 605's but I'll let you know if I decide to sell them.

8. BenPremium

BenPremium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice, Peter Tyson are probably the cheapest for Tannoy - I bought from them before and the service was great.

Enjoy, and don't forget to give the R3s plenty of power and listen to your music loud ;)

9. mca

mca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'll try... :D

10. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    As fellow Tannoy users can I ask a question please ...

I've currently got M3 fronts, RC centre and M2 rears - was considering upgrading the M3 fronts to R3s but wasn't sure on how much better they are.

Anyone done a comparison ?

The R3s seem to use very similar drivers to the M3s - I'm expecting the R3s to be better speakers - but by how much I'm not sure (Cosmetically I know the Revolutions are much better built - but more interested in whether I would get 300 quids worth of sound upgrade)

thanks for any help,

Mark.