1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement speakers for Linn Classik needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by moose1, Sep 21, 2003.

1. moose1

moose1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my Linn Classik from Sevenoaks Audio, but it didn't come with Linn speakers.
    I was supplied with Monitor Audio Pro speakers (Sevenoaks insisted that they were better than the Linns I'd heard the Linn demoed with with at another shop).

Now maybe they are, but for two years they've sounded **** in my room. I didn't have the funds to replace them till now.

My room is long. 27 foot by 11, and the set-up is at one end, with the listening sofa halfway down. I've tried them everywhere, and the most successful place is wall-mounted, high up.

Any replacements need to be small, and wall-mountable.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. moose1

moose1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No responses.

Too stupid a question?

3. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. moose1

moose1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Are the Monitor speakers any good, or was I shafted?

I suppose what I was getting at was that is the problem my speakers, or the room/placement etc...?

I don't know anything really about Hi-Fi, just that I liked the Linn Classik, and was blown away that anything that tidy, could sound good.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not borrow a couple of different speakers and try comparing against the MA's?

What sounds crap about them speakers? Harsh? Too soft? Boring? Boomy?

6. moose1

moose1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Boring.
    Dead. Inert.

Almost all rock music sounds terrible, lifeless, as does Classical.
    Radiohead, and Pink Floyd sound one dimensional. The music always seems to be coming FROM the speakers, there is never that wonderful feeling that it is just THERE, in the room.

Jazz however, is strangely engaging, and works well.

Go figure.

7. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nathan's suggestion of borrowing different speakers from your dealer is a good one, speakers will always sound different in your room than in the showroom. You could also try adding a poweramp in case it's a lack of power that's your problem (the Classik is 75W into 4ohms IIRC).

8. moose1

moose1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if power is the problem.

I can't even get the amp up to 65 percent without the windows rattling (way too loud for me)

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The Linn Klassic has PLENTY of power for a good set of speakers in a large medium/large room! I've tried it successfully with Tannoy R3's, Neat Petite & various Mission and Kef bookshelves. Klassic is a very neutral player which should work well with many speakers......however your Pro's appear to be the exception unfortunately. :(

What's your budget Moose?

Try these ALR/Jordans - tiny, but powerful and sound good wall-mounted. Around £200
    http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/electronics/speakers/alr_jordan_entry_s/

Alternatively AVI designed thses specifically to go on a wall and they sound fabulous (cost £800)
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=2691

Of course Linn also make several speakers which work very well with their players too.

10. moose1

moose1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Your comment about the Linn being 'neutral', pretty much hits the nail on the head. Can I warm it up with speakers? (budget around £500, but must be wall-mountable)

Alternatively, I don't have a surroundsound set-up for my Toshiba 220 DVD player. Is there anything I could get to replace the whole lot, Linn etc., and work as a Hi-Fi as well?

11. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I doubt there is an AV amp under £2000 that can match the Linn in stereo - it really is very good. Then you have to add a decent DVD player and another £1000 might get you one to match the Klassic!! :eek: The Tosh will play CD's, but will be very poor in comparison. I thought of another set of very good wall mountable speaker: Dynaudio Audience 42W - around £400 a pair

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/audience/42wall/aud42w.htm

Keep the setups seperate IMO, but don't hesitate to get a receiver and speakers to add to your Tosh player to greatly improve your DVD viewing pleasure.

12. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobber22

I'm not sure if I would agree that there's probably not a sub £2000 amp that can match the Linn Classic in stereo.

I auditioned the Linn Classic Movie System and compared it with the Arcam DV88+/Rotel 1055 combination, using both music and movie sound. For about the same money (at the time I auditioned) they both sounded all but the same, particularly after a tweak of the subwoofer settings.

Since there was very little difference in sound and the combination had more potential, I bought the arcam/rotel combination. The Linn does sound great, I agree.

Taimur

13. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Taimur, I think you are getting confused about the various Linn models. The machine Moose has is the Linn Classic (not the Classic Movie). ;) His is the straight stereo box with built-in cd player only & sounds better (with cd's) than both the Rotel/Arcam and Linn Movie setups you tried.

See it here: http://www.classik.com/

14. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see - I didn't listen to the CD only Linn Classik when I bought my stuff. Someone told me the CD only classik sounded pretty much the same as the DVD classik. Oh well.

15. moose1

moose1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone.

I think the answer is to get someone with a better ear than me to come round and have a listen.