1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Sony DAVS550

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bobble, Sep 4, 2002.

1. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have now purchased a replacement DAVS550, however having waited for nearly 4 weeks for a replacement I purchased a unit from elsewhere.

This unit appears to have exactly the same problem as the first with regards to subtitles, however as I manged to get a superb price on the unit I have deceided to keep it and try to get the firmware updated under the 1 year warranty in a few months, hopefully by then the problem will be resolved.

If anyone buys this unit without the subtitle glitch, please can you post on this forum,

Thanks.

2. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Where did you buy from and how much...? - Did you get multi-region?

How irritating is the subtitle issue - does pressing the subtitle button remove the titles - and do they come back or is that it once you have done it (per disc i assume)?

Cheers,

Steve.

3. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Steve

The subtitles come on automatically on every DVD I have whatched, after switching them off they come back on after approx 1 hour probably on layer change.

I purchased from Empire Direct, told them I could get the unit for £456 from unbeatble.co.uk there price was then £499, there policiy is 120% of the difference cheaper, ended up paying less than £400 delivered. However Empire Direct have now reduced there price (not multi region).

EDIT: Having now played around with the unit more and tried more DVD's this unit does not display the same amount of problems with DVD's as the first unit I had, approx 1/2 of my DVD's no longer come on with the subtitles. Very strange how some do and some don't. Will post again when I have whatched more films in full to tell of any problems.