1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement repote for Sony VTX-D800U Freeview

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Yoleus, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Yoleus

Yoleus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wife, the kids or one of the pets (but certainly not me) appears to have inadvertently thrown out (or possibly eaten) the remote to our Sony Freeview box.
    Does anyone know where I can get a replacement or whether the various all-in-ones out there can handle the functionality? :lease:

2. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a replacement RM-X800 remote here for £24:
    http://www.avukltd.com/remotecontrolsearch.php?item_id=460041&action=send_details

Or, you could get an upgradeable One For All remote, you can get codes SAT/0282 and SAT/1558 added, either of these will work the Sony. If there are any buttons missing that you need, you can program them using advanced codes.
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?SAT_0282

If neither of those options appeal, I could program a One For All URC-6131 (from the States) with these codes for you, here's what the URC-6131 looks like...
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/pic2.shtml?URC-6131

3. Yoleus

Yoleus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Robman.
    I might yet order the original but I'm now intrigued by the possibility of all-in-one. Will such a device also control a Tivo? These have some odd functions not seen on most remotes.
    You refer to an upgradeable One For All remote, what is this and what are the 2 codes you mentioned?
    I have so many of the damned things an all-in-one is appealing so long as it's easy for the family to use,
    Regards.

4. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most newer OFA (One For All) remotes have the Tivo code built in, and the URC-6131 that I mentioned is specifically aimed at the Tivo market (take a look at the pic that I linked to before). You'll notice that it even has THUMBS UP / DOWN buttons, and a button inbetween them labelled "PVR Menu" that's obviously the "Tivo Central" button.

Some OFA remotes, like the URC-7562 available in the UK, have modems built into them, which you can use to download new codes both over the web and over the phone. Many OFA remotes also have a 6-pin connector in the battery compartment that was designed to be used by the folks back at the factory to load upgrades, but it has been reverse engineered by myself and several other folks so everyone can now upgrade these remotes themselves. This process is called JP1.

Well, there are alot of people out there that have taken their remote needs to the next level. Rather than settling for a universal remote that works some of the functions for most devices, these folks (including myself) want one remote that will work every function for every device in our system. Furthermore, we want macros that will turn everything on and switch everything to the right inputs, etc all with the press of one button. JP1 has made this all possible. And what makes it even better is that OFA remotes are pretty cheap over here in the US (though I know they can be a bit pricey in the UK and Europe).

The 2 codes that I mentioned for the Sony Freeview box are both pretty much the same. One is designed for the RMX500 and the other for the RMX800, but the only difference between the two is the code used for SUBTITLE, though the RMX800 remote has more buttons than the RMX500.

So, if you're interested, I could pre-load a URC-6131 with an upgrade for the Sony that has every function included along with an upgrade for the Tivo which also has every button included. If you're intrigued by the idea of JP1 yourself, I could also include a JP1 cable. If you go that route, you might want to consider the URC-8811 remote instead as it's a learning remote, which might prove useful if you have some UK devices for which our UK based JP1 members haven't already created upgrades, but the URC-8811 isn't quite as Tivo ready as the URC-6131.

Take a look at the URC-8811 here:
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/pic2.shtml?URC-8811

5. Seb1

Seb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am also after a replacement remote for the Sony freeview set-top box.

Is the RM-X800 mentioned above, the exact same remote supplied with the Sony VTX-D800U Freeview box?

6. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know it is, yes.