Replacement Quiet Heatsink for X850XT

meansizzler

Ex Member
Reaction score
The stock cooler on my card is to lud, especially on startup, need a replacement to keep it quiet, was looking at the "Zalman ZM80D-HP" with the optional "ZM-OP1" or the "Zalman VF900-Cu", but would rather get the ZM80D-HP, it should fit my Silverstone SG01 case..., anyone sue one or got any thoughts?

Not quite what you're asking but I've got the Zalman VF700-CU on my 6800GS and it's an amazing difference, highly recommended. I've set mine on the lowest fan speed and it keeps well within acceptable temperatures.

I've got the same model card as you (X850XT) but the one I bought had an Artic Cooling Silencer 5 already fitted. I can definately recommend this cooler - it's whisper quiet in operation. The only drawback is that it takes up two slots but apart from that it works beautifully. Here's a link with more information.

EDIT: Just looked up your case. The Arctic Silencer would be eay too big for it. Sorry for not looking up your spec first :(

meansizzler said:
The stock cooler on my card is to lud, especially on startup, need a replacement to keep it quiet, was looking at the "Zalman ZM80D-HP" with the optional "ZM-OP1" or the "Zalman VF900-Cu", but would rather get the ZM80D-HP, it should fit my Silverstone SG01 case..., anyone sue one or got any thoughts?

Hi. I have an x850xt and i changed the heatsink/fan for an arctic cooling jobbie. In a nut shell...bloody superb. Even at full tilt the card is hardly audible and for such a relatively small amount of wonga too!

Dan.

Here's a link: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/cgi-b...ic_Cooling.html#aHS_2d018_2dAR#aHS_2d018_2dAR

triplea4uk said:
People are obsessed with sound way to much on this forum.

Well Mine PC is prolly around the 40-50DB mark, so I figured that I would sought out the GPU then the CPU...,

BigBry said:
Not quite what you're asking but I've got the Zalman VF700-CU on my 6800GS and it's an amazing difference, highly recommended. I've set mine on the lowest fan speed and it keeps well within acceptable temperatures.

I had that on my X700 but it is very loud on normal mode, which I would prolly have to keep it on...

Valhoudini said:
I've got the same model card as you (X850XT) but the one I bought had an Artic Cooling Silencer 5 already fitted. I can definately recommend this cooler - it's whisper quiet in operation. The only drawback is that it takes up two slots but apart from that it works beautifully. Here's a link with more information.

EDIT: Just looked up your case. The Arctic Silencer would be eay too big for it. Sorry for not looking up your spec first :(

You would be surpised what you could fit in my Case, I think I may be able to squeeze an artic cooler into my case, but I have heard bad things about it, also why are there so cheap compared to the zalmans?..

Hmm, surprised you have heard bad things about Arctic Silencers as I have only read good reviews about them. I'd be interested to know if it was other users you heard from or from specific reviews.

The cards from HIS, one of which I bought, all use IceQ technology based on Artic Silencer 5's and all usually get high review scores. See here, here, here and here :thumbsup:

As for why it's cheaper then the Zalman, well Zalman usually charge a premium for their products, as can be seen from their range of CPU coolers.

What I'd do is look up some reviews of the Zalmans, as I know little to nothing about them, and some about the Arctic Silencer 5 (rev 2)'s then leave it for a few days to think about, come back, check this thread, and make your mind up. From the little I've seen about these two different coolers, the Zalman seems to have come out a year earlier then the Artic Silencer, if that means anything, and both would seem to do a good job.

I'd be slightly curious as to whether the Artic Silencer could fit in a SFF case though. The dimensions for the cooler can be seen in the "technical data" section from the link in my initial post in this thread.

Valhoudini said:
I'd be slightly curious as to whether the Artic Silencer could fit in a SFF case though. The dimensions for the cooler can be seen in the "technical data" section from the link in my initial post in this thread.

Technically my case is not SFF, it is about 1.5 times bigger than a shuttle in all three directions, and it will allow a graphics card as long as the motherboard, "9.6", so looking at the dimentions of the cooler I would be able to fit it wiht an inch spare in my case..., also the fan on the cooler lines up with the side vent on my case so it should get good airlfow, I might pop down to oxford street tommorow and pick one of these up...

meansizzler said:
You would be surpised what you could fit in my Case, I think I may be able to squeeze an artic cooler into my case, but I have heard bad things about it, also why are there so cheap compared to the zalmans?..

I've used 2 different Artic Coolers so far, one in my HTPC attached to a 9800 pro... and the other in my main rig on an X800XT. They're excellent at what they do, they brought my X800XT down from about 60-70 (idle-load) to about 35-50. And my 9800 never goes above 40!

One thing I will say is that the Silencer 4 (X800XT) isn't the most reliable, I had to send 2 back because the fans stopped working. Even my last replacement did the same but I finally figured out that it was the small power connector on the heatsink/fan that plugs into the X800XT, it somehow develops a bad connection and you have to kinda push the wires into the small molex plug, creating a better connection. I wish I'd have known that before I sent 2 of them back though! :(

But apart from that I can't fault them.

another thumbs up for the VF700-Cu not as good as passive, but in a cramped box like the Sugo the fan will help anyway.
40-50dB?? what's the component chucking that out?

I had that on my X700 but it is very loud on normal mode, which I would prolly have to keep it on

Well mines on the 'silent' setting and it's temp is at 47 C whilst the warning temp is 127 C (default). It seems to keep within a similar heat range to the stock (noisy) cooler that came on my card. Agreed I don't throw too much it's way but it's never created any heat issues for my system to date.

I'd still say it's worth consideration.

mediaPC.tv said:
another thumbs up for the VF700-Cu not as good as passive, but in a cramped box like the Sugo the fan will help anyway.
40-50dB?? what's the component chucking that out?

The CPU Cooler, it's the stock cooler for a Pentium D 830, speeds up to 4200RPM...:D

GRRR..just fitted the Artic 5 Ati Cooler to my card switched on the PC, and I get a loud bang, and smoke starts coming from the coolers fan, and I can see it's not moving, so switched of the pc, replaced the heatsink on my graphics card with the orginal one and it does not work, the fan does not spin on it, guess the artic cooler killed my fan connector port, guess I have to RMA my card back to powercooler, and I'll get my money back for the artic coole,r although artic cooling is at fault, they should really replace my card, anyone got any thgouhts on this?....

Anyone?, I think not just the Fan ight be dea but my whole graphics card, it seems that alot of people on newegg.com have had there cards killed by an arctic cooler, hnce the new revisions of the card...I don't know if I should got out and buy a new zalman cooler or just wait to here from the place I got my graphics card from, I already sent them an email asking for an RMA number..., nayway I can't wait that long got a load of PC games to play...

Meansizzler I 'm sorry to hear that the Artic Silencer caused your card to go up in smoke :thumbsdow . I now see why HIS manufacturer their ATi cards with the coolers preinstalled. Takes the pain of this happening away.

Is your card still under warranty or have you got a spare card you can use while your current one is repaired? Trust me when the Artic Coolers work they work great but it looks like installing them has problems, which I was unaware of.

Hopefully you won't be without your card for long. Also I don't know where you'd stand regards blaming Artic Cooler for your card's demise.

Hope you get things fixed

Val

Just replaced the cooler with a Zalman VF700, the system starts up and i get a picture so I guess the card is still working, just downloading the latest ATi driver now so I can check the temperature of it and run a few games to see if it is working fine, on a positive note the Zalman cooler seems much quieter than the stock one....

Phew :rolleyes:

Post once you know whether everything's still ok and working as it should be. I wouldn't want my advice being responsible for the death of someone's graphics card :thumbsdow

meansizzler said:
GRRR..just fitted the Artic 5 Ati Cooler to my card switched on the PC, and I get a loud bang, and smoke starts coming from the coolers fan, and I can see it's not moving, so switched of the pc, replaced the heatsink on my graphics card with the orginal one and it does not work, the fan does not spin on it, guess the artic cooler killed my fan connector port, guess I have to RMA my card back to powercooler, and I'll get my money back for the artic coole,r although artic cooling is at fault, they should really replace my card, anyone got any thgouhts on this?....

The fact it went bang straight away sounds like you've shorted something out to be honest

I don't understand how the fan connector can be dead, then working with another fan (Zalman). Dead = dead I'd say?

Your talking the connection on the motherboard, right?
A direct bang indeed points to short circuit though. Or if smoke comes from the Arctic fan, can you try and rotate it manually? Enormously high currents can build up if the little motor trying to spin the fan get's blocked.

JorisS said:
I don't understand how the fan connector can be dead, then working with another fan (Zalman). Dead = dead I'd say?

A direct bang indeed points to short circuit though. Or if smoke comes from the Arctic fan, can you try and rotate it manually? Enormously high currents can build up if the little motor trying to spin the fan get's blocked.

The Zalman is being powered form the PSU...

mediaPC.tv said:
The fact it went bang straight away sounds like you've shorted something out to be honest

Yes the fan short circuited, it is a known problem, the graphics cards fan connector outputs a voltage too high for the arctic coolers fan to handle on startup blowing a capacitor in it straight away and causing it to go up in smoke straight away, Arctic Cooler are aware of this problem, yet they do not put it in the instructions, instead they tell you on there website that certain ATi card's to not output the right voltage for the fan so the fan should be powered from the PSU, basically they tell you to cut the wires on the fan and solder it to the PSU molex connector..., they could of at least put this information in there instructions, personally I do not see how they are alllowed to sell these products as they are faulty, causing damage to your equipment, anyway i'm going to take this up with the distributor for supplying resellers with this piece of shi*t product...

JorisS said:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59630

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom