Replacement phone: Galaxy A12 or Galaxy S9?

Muchacho1979

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently have the Galaxy S6, which as you know is a few years old.
The mic is knackered, so I've decided to buy a new one.

I don't wish to spend a fortune, as all I use it for is Whatsapp, Texting, Internet and apps. This is for a sim only contract.

I'm currently split between 2 phones: Galaxy A12 and Galaxy S9.

Both seem to come in around the £150 mark.

Which do you think I should go for?

I currently have the Galaxy S6, which as you know is a few years old.
The mic is knackered, so I've decided to buy a new one.

I don't wish to spend a fortune, as all I use it for is Whatsapp, Texting, Internet and apps. This is for a sim only contract.

I'm currently split between 2 phones: Galaxy A12 and Galaxy S9.

Both seem to come in around the £150 mark.

Which do you think I should go for?
The S9 was the flagship model and would have cost considerably more than the A12 at launch.

Whatsapp, Texting, Internet

Any phone will suffice for these basic tasks

Depends, on which apps 😎

Google indicates the S9 last update was to Android 10 (with Samsung's skin) and not further updates

The A12 has been updated to Android 11, no news yet on Android 12

Android version may be a relevant factor. I have spent all of 5 seconds on this, so longer research may yield a different answer about the latest update for each model

Is the S9 actually the better phone though?
I own an S9 and have done for 3+ years and it more than meets my needs.
The only reason I ever upgrade is because the battery starts to fail, usually after some massive update that vodafone (or any other phone provider) send my way.

Presently the battery life on the S9 is sufficient enough for me but that's because I work from home now so I don't use it much and have easy access to charge it.

I don't anything about the A12 really other than its not part of Samsung's flagship "S" range

I own an S9 and have done for 3+ years and it more than meets my needs.
The only reason I ever upgrade is because the battery starts to fail, usually after some massive update that vodafone (or any other phone provider) send my way.

Presently the battery life on the S9 is sufficient enough for me but that's because I work from home now so I don't use it much and have easy access to charge it.

I don't anything about the A12 really other than its not part of Samsung's flagship "S" range

Yes, I work from home too, but the battery life on the S6 is shocking - doesn't even last me during the day now so would need something considerably longer-lasting... 2 days would be brill!

I have an S9 and its by far the best phone I've ever owned. Had an S5 before this one.
The battery life on it now is really poor though and I'm not sure I'd recommend buying a phone this old unless you manage to find one that's had the battery replaced recently.
I'm personally going to get the Samsung A52s next but I realise that's over double your budget.

I have an S9 and its by far the best phone I've ever owned. Had an S5 before this one.
The battery life on it now is really poor though and I'm not sure I'd recommend buying a phone this old unless you manage to find one that's had the battery replaced recently.
I'm personally going to get the Samsung A52s next but I realise that's over double your budget.

Yes, I don't need anything expensive - forgot to add, a decent camera is a nice plus, as I sometimes like to go out and take photos when out on walks.

Moto g30 £139.99 Android 11 and will get 12.
Battery life 👍

Hmm... looks good - do you think the specs overall is better than the A12?

Battery life
Camera
Speed of using it (just overall processing)

Battery should last 2-3 days depending on your use.
Moto cameras are okay for general use,but not the best.
Moto UI is a clean android interface and the 4gb would be sufficient.

I have a G7 power and am probably going to change to a g30,there is a newer g31 but the specs are not as good.

Moto
Newer android version (12)
Better processor
Better battery

Camera has better stats(but I don't use the camera much so real life usage may be different)
2 year warranty(not sure if Samsung is the same)

That would be my choice,it's up to you and I wouldn't want to influence you...

Just buy the Moto 😉😁

Just buy the Moto 😉😁

I'm in the UK and tried Argos and Curry's - both out of stock and won't deliver.

I do prefer buying it on the street so I can quickly take it back if/when it doesn't work, but it looks like I'm going to have to buy online.

Amazon right enough?

John Lewis are the cheapest online for the 4gb £139.99
Amazon 6gb 128gb £159.99
Amazon 4gb out of stock at the moment.

Both stores online,so either would be fine.

Agree with @1742 that Moto is a good shout. John Lewis and Amazon will both offer delivery or collection

Online from a UK retailer means returns within 14 days, without having to give any reason

You do not have the same legal right to a return when buying on the high street if you simply change your mind and there is nothing wrong with the smartphone, although a lot of retailers do operate a returns policy. Check the terms if you buy on the high street 😎

Agree with @1742 that Moto is a good shout. John Lewis and Amazon will both offer delivery or collection

Online from a UK retailer means returns within 14 days, without having to give any reason

You do not have the same legal right to a return when buying on the high street if you simply change your mind and there is nothing wrong with the smartphone, although a lot of retailers do operate a returns policy. Check the terms if you buy on the high street 😎
Steven beat me to it. Buy online and you can return it if decide you don't like it. Much much better than in store.

The Moto will more than do the job BTW. It isn't waterproof though, but neither is the A12.

A12 doesn't seem to have an IP rating.

Moto states
Water Protection
  • IP52, water repellent design.

My wife's work phone is a Motorola Moto G 5G Plus and I played with it and was was very impressed. 5G ready, big crisp display, big battery, quad camera. They came out in 2020 IIRC and you'll find them at good prices

worth shopping around for prices.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom